Anal Dilitation

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Anal Dilitation

Postby Guest » 03 Jan 2008, 18:29

Went for my 1 month checkup today. The verdict: fissure healed. The whole area is still a bit sensitive, especially after a BM, but for all intents and purposes the fissure is no longer there. Dr was afraid initially that I would need a second procedure, but apparently one was enough.
I have to remain on the diet and generally be careful, as the goal here is to make sure that it doesn't recur, but for the most part, I was happy to hear the news.

Postby juney » 03 Jan 2008, 18:44

that's awesome fishy!! congrats!
are you still feeling pain at all? or just irritation? you are the first one on this board to have tried and had success with dilation, i believe. good news!!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 03 Jan 2008, 19:12

:read: That is good news. You are our first here. Great to know that it has been successful for you!

Congratulations!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 03 Jan 2008, 19:15

That is great news, Fishy!! Image
Dilitation can certainly be successful and when you're the one succeeding at ridding yourself of the AF pain, it sure is great!
Image Image
Deleted User 5

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 03 Jan 2008, 19:19

Hey, Fishy. Congrats. That's great news. Hope you have continued success.
Just curious...did you have this procedure done by Dr. Sohn in NY? Thanks.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby Guest » 03 Jan 2008, 19:24

And just where have you been, Steve? Image

Postby Fissulyna » 03 Jan 2008, 20:05

Dilation is very old method and mostly abounded today due to high rate of permanent injury to outside sphincter - one that we can control. When muscle threads brake in outside sphincter incidence of incontinence is very high, much higher than with LIS - that is why that method is outdated. I really hope that anybody considering this method go on the net and do research before undergoing it or make consultation with younger CRS.
All the best
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 03 Jan 2008, 20:37

Fissulyna...oh, yes, I am well aware of all the research on the internet and the fact that dilatation is widely considered obsolete (and rather barbaric). I remember reading about it and swearing vehemently that I would never ever ever have that procedure done to me.
But I've changed my tune a bit...I still wouldn't have dilatation done by just anyone. In fact, at the moment, the only person I would consider having it done by is Dr. Sohn, who is well-known in the CRS community. Check out his web site...I think I posted it earlier in this thread. Basically the main problem with dilatation and the "research" on the internet is that there has never been a standard way of doing it. Therefore, results have varied dramatically. Dr. Sohn uses a precise and calibrated method. I spoke to him in person, and according to him, he has had no incontinence issues with like his last 1000 surgeries. And he has about a 90-95% success rate. Therefore, chance of incontinence from his procedure is less than with LIS, and it has a comparable chance of success. Of course, that's all according to him. But he does seem to be well-known / respected.
Hi, Lecia! I've been around, popping on every now and then. I haven't bothered contributing anything lately because I feel I have little to contribute. I've tried a million and a half things to fix my AF, but I've come to realize that if there's one thing I can't control, it's my AF. You know, I actually quit my AF-friendly diet during the holidays (I literally ate garbage all day), quit using nifedipine, scaled back my colace, and guess what? I had a couple decent weeks. Ridiculous.
I'm going to have botox once it gets approved by my insurance company. I doubt that it will work though. Honestly, I doubt dilatation or LIS would eliminate it completely either. But maybe I'm just a pessimist. Or maybe it's just too difficult for me to even imagine life without an AF after dealing with it actively for 8 months...and passively for 2 years. It has a way of demoralizing you as I'm sure you know.
How are you?!?
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby happyass » 03 Jan 2008, 20:55

steve, i am so happy you popped up poopy! hehehehehe...
happy new year.
well, here's something i find amazing about your post....when you quit your AF diet during the holidays, were you feeling less stressed, more relaxed to be with friends and family, enjoying the wonder of xmas in NYC???
maybe because you were feeling really good - my assumption - during the holidays and enjoying your food, you internally were better able to relax which transformed some loosened energy/relaxation to your anal muscles and you had better bm/butt experiences.
i think we are dealing with something that not only is affected by diet but also about our stress, physical well-being, and emotional ability to keep calm and happy despite these challenges.
anyway, i think you are coping and doing well and i am so happy to hear that despite challenges with your AF still, that you are doing even better.
even if you doubt something will work, you better work to believe that it will work because you have to really believe in it to make it work the best it can work. even if it doesn't 100% resolve everything at once.
hugs to you steve.....i am happy to hear you are around.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 03 Jan 2008, 20:58

I know how you feel, Steve. But I think that you should have hope-you haven't exhausted your options at all. I have given up trying to completely figure my butt out too. I have tried to baby it-treating it better than my my own chidren (j/K) but you know what I mean and I still have problems.

I don't have a fissure but I do have hemorrhoids that I am going to have surgery for next week. And of course now that I have decided I actually feel better today but I won't let that fool me. In a way, it has given me some freedom. I actually just got out and did what I wanted to do today and figure I'll be under the knife so it's not like I can make it worse and if so who cares-this is my last chance at freedom for awhile. I even had some champagne last night!

Even if you don't feel like you have much to contribute, just saying hi and I know how you feel goes a long way!!!!
Never underestimate the power of a smile. Image :tp:

(now doesn't that sound cheesy and trite?)
But don't be a stranger. Log in and say hey!