anal fissure newbie

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

anal fissure newbie

Postby shaft » 21 May 2013, 08:27

Hi everyone, I have a real painful anal fissure for about a month now and it just won't heal, I have been to the doctor and he prescribed GTN ointment, suppositories and a laxative, all of which were useless. I have even tried coco butter, coconut oil and also wheatgrass mixed with honey and the fissure just won't go away, I need help, I'm trying real hard to avoid the surgery. Can anyone give me some advice plz
shaft

Topics: 1

Re: anal fissure newbie

Postby Savaici » 22 May 2013, 16:36

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Is this your first fissure? If it is, and you have only had it for a month, then you are lucky as it is still - just - in the acute stage. As the doctor has given you GTN, then you should really try it for at least six week before you can really tell if it has worked or not. That is what is usually advised for this ointment.
If you do a search, you will find info on here for all of the things you have tried.
The other advice I can offer:
Make sure you are drinking enough water for your weight.
Use a Sitz bath for pain and healing.
Keep your BM soft, for ease of passing.
There is a lot of info for all three of those suggestions.
Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby marg6043 » 22 May 2013, 18:49

shaft, sorry to hear about your fissure, is a lot of information here in the forums that you can research to find something that can help you, is also great advise from others that have been dealing or have healed from fissures.
Mine is now to the point that I can live a normal life and while is not gone is manageable.
I wish you the best and a fast healing time. Image
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby snowdog » 23 May 2013, 12:28

Hi Shaft and welcome aboard!
I read your story and had a great reply, and Savaici summed it all up into a nice little package of info, so I'm just giving my two cents worth to take her words to heart. All the ointments do take a long while to get going, so you have to be patient, unfortunately. I just finished my first week with diltiazem and was told not to expect much of anything for at least the first 2 weeks, and my fissure is apparently minor. Lots of great info on the site, though and plenty of tips and tricks.
You did ask for advice and the best I can give is to not shrug off the power of a sitzbath. These can easily be done in a tub or a portable unit that sits on the toilet bowl. I wish I could quote my source, but some site found them to be almost as helpful as the ointments! I'm not saying that is true or not but when I had no ointment, a sitzbath twice a day did a lot for me.
snowdog
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1