Any advices of what to do or not to before colonoscopy ?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Any advices of what to do or not to before colonoscopy ?

Postby cherylk » 09 Aug 2008, 11:53

Here's a hopeful note--there is a prep for colonoscopies that is in PILL form which would be much more palatable than the liquid that I took in 2001. Hopefully, the prep will gradually switch over to that in the future (Osmo prep, etc.)
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Aug 2008, 13:13

Thank you all for the tips Image and responses !!! My appointment is August 21st at 2 pm .
Val buddy - in this procedure they push a camera up your butt to see what is going on inside. That is why your guts have to be "squeaky" clean - alas one has to drink awful stuff to cause flushing of the century Image .
Jo- thanks for the tip about light diet a day before - was your app. morning or afternoon ? I hope I will survive till 2 pm Image !!! My center is one hour drive - do you think I would still have "to go" that morning couple of times - what if I need to go while on the highway Image Image - gosh, I can totally see that happening to me and ending up on front page of Walnut Creek Gazette squatting by the Porsche on the side of the road Image Image !!!
Cheryl - some CRSs already use that pill (like that girl CRS here), but the laser-guy uses Golytly Shmolitely - whatever icky stuff . Soon they will do "virtual colonoscopies" by MRI - some centers already have the technology in the place - but I have to have what is available now and here and with this guy and I have to hope for the best Image
PLEASE - if anybody remembers any other advice, send it to me Image - highly desirable and appreciated LOL Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 09 Aug 2008, 13:33

I am hoping to have that virtual colonscopy the next time I have one. When I had mine, I was fearful as I usually am of ALL new medical experiences, but like I indicated previously, my outcome was much better than I had anticipated. Couldn't really even tell that something had happened. I was having bleeding b/4 the procedure, and that was the reason for the test.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Aug 2008, 13:42

Thanks Cheryl - it is comforting to know that even though you had IBS it did not make your guts go crazy : (. I have Fibromyalgia and Colonoscopy can possibly irritate guts and make them go berserk since with Fibro all systems are ultra sensitive to any rough stimulus. That is why my GP sent me to have CT a year ago instead of colonoscopy , but it can not shaw possible small inflammatory areas and such - so I have to have this one done after all : (.
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby val » 09 Aug 2008, 13:51

wots the difference between a sigmoidosopy and a colonoscopy ??
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Jen » 09 Aug 2008, 13:56

Val -

With the sigmoidoscopy, They only veiw the sigmoid colon.

Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby val » 09 Aug 2008, 13:59

and thats lower down, is that right? i had the sig along with my op, thats poss. why my crs said he wanted an mri done to view above the muscle- i wondered what he was talking about! thanks!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Jen » 09 Aug 2008, 14:05

The MRI would probably show any compression in the area, with the regular colonoscopy it will just veiw the inside of the colon.

The sigmoid colon is the lowest portion in the colon, right above the rectum. Just a little trivia - it is called the sigmoid colon because that part is shaped like an "S".

Neither the sigmoisoscopy or the colonoscopy take long at all do to. I was alspeep during mine so I felt nothing. However, if you are awake I hear they are uncomfortable - not painful.
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 12 Aug 2008, 00:19

Jen - did you have "twilight" or GI for colonoscopy ? How many times you had to poop after golitely (sp. ?) stuff? Was your app. morning or afternoon ?
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Jen » 12 Aug 2008, 08:26

Fiss -
I have no idea what twilight is???? I went to a GI doctor for it.
I pooed all dang morning with the Golightly, about every 15 minutes from 5 am to 8 am (when I drank it). I am so sorry Fiss - It is totally nasty! I hate it so bad! They gave me these flavor packets, but I think they made it worse!
My apoointment was at noon. I had to stop eating & drinking at midnight. I drank to golightly at 5 and finished at 8. To be honest with you, I never finished. I drank about half and my poo was liquid & almost clear so I stopped.
It is nothing - really. If you can deal with LIS - you can deal with this!
Jen
King Fissure