Any advices of what to do or not to before colonoscopy ?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Any advices of what to do or not to before colonoscopy ?

Postby cherylk » 12 Aug 2008, 12:56

When I had my sigmoidoscopy, I just had to take an enema the night prior or that morning, and then had it done at my workplace. Big mistake!! Had our regular company doc do it (not a gastro doc), and he couldn't get up very far and it was uncomfortable. After he stopped, I tried to go back upstairs and work and started shaking, so had to go back to medical and rest. Bottom line--unless a person is checking rectal area only or for some reason only the lower portion of colon, I cannot understand why anyone would have a flex sig as opposed to the colonoscopy which checks the entire colon. Why settle for a partial exam??? But I had a flex sig a little over a year ago because my local GI doc was checking for hemroids and then I had the barium test after that, so I only had to clean out once except I did not get totally cleaned out due to being on a high fiber diet. That is info that is probably not useful to anyone, but I thought I would share it anyway!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 12 Aug 2008, 22:27

Oh Jen : (, thanks for telling me what is ahead - I hate that they did not send me yet those instructions of what to do so I can compare with you guys. So, if one has app. in the afternoon - than one should start with G stuff early morning ??? Did I get it right ?
By the way, "twilight " is sedation , not general a. - they call it that way since you are asleep but not deeply.
Cheryl - thanks for info about sigmoid - other members who might need it will appreciate it.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 12 Aug 2008, 22:43

Yes! Twilight it was (with the anesthesia in the dirty syring Image ).
My instructions were to have a liquid diet the day before the procedure. I could have jello, but no red dye, so really I could only have green jello. I ate so much of it to fill me up and I will never eat green jello again. Then midnight the day of the procedure, I could not eat or drink. At five am (I had to set my alarm) I had to start drinking the golightly and I had to finish the bottle by 8 am. Then I just pooed all morning until my procedure at 1200.
The golightly was rotten. Have you picked it up from the pharmacy yet? It comes in a gallon container. I drink it and watched Troy because I thought watching Brad Pitt might make the situation better - but it did not! I am so sorry you have to drink that stuff Fiss! :oops:
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 12 Aug 2008, 23:11

ahahhaaaaa, oh my, Jen, you definitely cheered me up with your descriptions LOL. Oh, boy, if Brad did not help- than there is no help with that stuff - PERIOD !!!!! ; )
No, I did not pick G-factor yet - I thought I need prescription for it ? They told me that I will get instructions in mail - nothing yet (grrr...)
I am so happy Jen that both of your tests for hepatitis c came back negative - I was worried to death and was afraid even to ask about it : (. Idiots - did you ever asked for some compensation for all of the emotional hardship you had to go through ? ! What happened with that technician - he/she should go to jail for life for involuntary man -slather , unbelievable !!!!
I guess I would be sick of lime jello too, after all of this - oh well - what else can we do?
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Corsi » 13 Aug 2008, 05:36

Fissulyna
I was awake during my colonoscopy (once) and my gastroscopy (twice), and it was quite fun Image to watch the screen and see inside my colon during colonoscopy.
The thing you have to drink doesn't taste good, but that was not a problem. I was told, by a friend who had done it before, to drink the nasty stuff while holding my nose (because then you don't taste it), and then take a sip of juice, lemonade or something to get rid of the taste. I drank something called "saft" in Norwegian, don't know what it is in English. You mix it with water.
I pooped pretty much the whole evening, and even in the morning. Couldn't believe that there were more left in me... :flush:
How will it be, going to the toilet that much with a fissure?
Good luck Image Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2008, 06:53

Corsica Image
I am so glad you have said you were awake during your colonoscopy, I thought I was tripping out for a while and wondered why I didn’t have an anaesthetic! Image
I was awake too for the procedure, it wasn’t all that bad atall Fissy, don’t be worried !
I do remember the clear out before hand and while it wasn’t nice , it really isn’t too bad either, I spent that day at home pooping all day !!!
I didn’t have a fissure back then, so use some protection so things don’t get burny Image
You will be just fine Fissy babe ! Image
Xx

Postby Fissulyna » 13 Aug 2008, 15:45

Thanks so much Crsica and my "Tubby"- Image Image - I think I will apply all of the above : eat lime jello, watch Brad Pitt , keep my nose closed and sip lemonade while splattering Vaseline on my butt between pooping Image . I think I will "go" to no end since I NOW go 3-4 times a day - imagine with such strong laxative Image , he he, I better buy some diapers to wear on the way to the clinic which is one hour drive Image . Oh , well, as Jen said it - if one survived LIS one can certainly survive a Colonoscopy Image. Now I wonder if it would be actually cool to see one's guts on the screen Image ?!? Maybe they should just have the "drip" ready if I squeak LOL due to the fissure Image .
Still no papers in the mail Image. I will have to call to see what is going on !!!
LOVE TO ALL Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby cherylk » 13 Aug 2008, 15:53

I think my hubby watched on the screen a couple of years ago, and wasn't Katie Couric awake when hers was televised.? I wouldn't want to be awake, but different strokes for different folks!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Corsi » 13 Aug 2008, 16:13

You will be busy doing these things...you are so funny Fissulyna Image
I can picture you sitting on your toilet while watching Brad, sipping laxatives, lemonade and jello. Splattering vaseline must be an inbetween activity Image Image What a fun day you will have!
What would (fissure)life be without humour? and what is jello??
I must really go to bed now, my children are coming home tomorrow. So looking forward to seing them again Image
Corsica Image
Cherylk: It was much worse being awake during gastroscopy.
Corsi
King Fissure

Postby Corsi » 20 Aug 2008, 03:15

Good luck with your colonoscopy Image
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure