Constipation Article

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Constipation Article

Postby Guest » 02 Dec 2007, 19:33

I found this in the Health Monitor at my doctor's office. It looks like fiber can be problematic in some people and that use of laxatives may not lead to dependence.

Re: Constipation Article

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Dec 2007, 19:46

Wow, that article really turns a lot of common knowledge upside down! It does lend a little credence to my thoughts that *extra* fiber really does no good, and that *extra* water doesn't, really, either.... but the getting the RDA of each is essential.
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 03 Dec 2007, 13:47

thats interesting, Lecia, its actually quite releiving to know that extra water isn't necessary. I don't know if anyone has experienced this, but since downing all this extra water a day, all it actually does is make me pee more and I end up feeling dehydrated and thirsty, which never happened when I just drunk when I wanted to! And fibre supplements were very detrimental!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby motherluch » 03 Dec 2007, 14:00

I agree, that was a very interesting article, one in which I agree with almost 100%!
Val, what do you use for fiber?? Anything at all?? I try to get my fiber just through diet alone, and I know I am not getting 35 grams a day, more like 20-maybe 25, that and my Natural Calm seem to be working for me at this time, (at least for the last week). If i take supplements I run into constipation trouble.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby val » 03 Dec 2007, 14:54

I don't use fibre supplements as they keep me in the bathroom all day! I have aloe vera and flaxseed oil in the morning with pure fruit juice mixed with boiling water,then muesli and rice milk. For luch its a slice of wholegrain toast with peanut butter, then dinner is watercress, spinach and rocket, with poached salmon. Every evening I have a big bowl of fruit, and take the aloe vera, flaxoil and milk of magnesia before bed. I do the same every day, like Lecia advised and then there are no surprises. Digestive biccies are nice as a treat because they've got fibre, but also sugar, so I don't have them often.
Its strange you run into trouble with supplements, which ones have you tried?
When I was first given lactulose, I didn't realize you had to drink a lot with it and that made me constipated, but then when I drunk loads with it-well I never took it again!!! Going to the bathroom 17 times in one day with a fissure was like medieval torture!
val
King Fissure

Postby motherluch » 03 Dec 2007, 16:42

In the past I tried Metamucil and Citrucel, they made my constipation worse, even with lots of water. I never tried Fibersure or Benefiber. I am thinking of trying the Digestive Advantage Chronic Constipation formula that a lot of people are talking about. I just am afraid to try new things in fear that it will constipate me and that is the LAST thing I need ( that we ALL need)!!
How much Milk of Mag do you take before bed? I am obviously sensitive to it if you read any of my posts a couple of weeks ago...I had 1 1/2 TBSP. before bed and was on the toilet for about 16 hours!! If I use it again, I will only take 1 teaspoon! How is your fissure now ??
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Guest » 03 Dec 2007, 19:55

Thanks Lecia! Great article.
I want everyone to know that High fiber is not always the solution to our fissure problem.
I'd been having extreme stomach problems (bloating, pressure pain, excessive flatulence.) Colonoscopy found nothing wrong. Went to several doctors and got nowhere. They'd change my diet and taking the fissure into consideration would add more metamucil to the diet. 2 weeks ago I got see a gastro which a friend recommended. Told him my story and of he immediately suggested that I cut all supplementary fiber and go down to the RDA . I've been doing much better since taking his advice. He also put me on Miralax. I told him that I had tried it before but that it didn't seem to work for me. He suggested that I take up to 2x the recommended dosage until we can get the fissure under control. I told him my reservations about using so much Miralax for an extended period of time and he said not to worry. He's never heard of someone becoming dependent on it. I'm now using 1 1/2 the recommended dosage and it seems to be keeping my stool soft.
Basically he confirmed the article. I'm really glad I got to see him. If anyone in New York needs a good Gastro check out Dr. Peter Chang.

Postby happyass » 04 Dec 2007, 13:44

good article.
yeah, pretty much my CRS told me to only take the RDA of fiber and not to use any OTC fiber boosters. he made it clear that getting the fiber i needed from eating foods rather than supplements was very important and that only the RDA was necessary.
with regards to drinking lots of fluids, macrobiotic principles doesn't put any suggested RDA such as 8 glasses of water per day at minimum. but only to drink green tea - a cup after each meal - and then a cup three times - which seems close to the 8 glasses. not to drink over that or under that.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby val » 04 Dec 2007, 14:54

Motherluch, I'm sensitive to milk of magnesia too, and I started with one teaspoon before bed and VERY slowly crept up to two. The other night because of the problems I was having I took three, and really regretted it!!
I think that getting your fibre from food is a good idea, too. But I tried prune juice, and that had a nasty effect too. I have a juicer, and drink fresh juice- that may help you, and the flax oil and aloe vera juice is brilliant. I have a teaspoon of flaxoil, and 2 tablespoons of aloe vera, but I started with just one dessertspoon of the aloe vera at first.
My fissure is a lot better,thank-you, but now I've got an abcess, so I'm no better off!
How is yours?
val
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 04 Dec 2007, 15:39

Great article Lecia!
I think the one thing that bothers me is the inconsistency in what doctors and literature will tell you. Personally, I think all the water and fiber supplementation I've been taking have been play havok on my system.
So now I'm very interested in what the deal is with flaxseed oil and aloe oil. what's the diet for this? Thanks!