Cost of LIS / Good Surgeons in Europe

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Cost of LIS / Good Surgeons in Europe

Postby Resurgent » 31 May 2018, 06:27

Due to NICE Guidelines in relation staging of treatment as well as colorectal surgery guidance from some of their professional associations, you may have a hard time getting a surgeon to go straight to LIS when funded by the NHS.

It currently works like this (UNLESS your local Clinical Commissioning Group refuse to fund Botox (As the Somerset CCG does) for anal fissure):-

Rectogesic / topical glyceryl trinitrate > Normacol or Lactulose + Diltiazem > 2 Rounds of Botox > Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy

You are probably going to have to be highly aggressive, dogmatic and ram it up the doctors arse to get him to skip over the "2 rounds of Botox". Point blank refuse to have Botox and remind him what informed consent means.

I had a very large falling out with some NHS institutionalised Greek CRS at Chelsea and Westminster who REFUSED to do what I asked (and told literally to f**k off) and thus I just went private and got what I wanted; FYI, I don't regret my decision at all.

Don't forget to refer to "Chronic anal fissure: botulinum toxin type A injection" Evidence summary [ESUOM14] from NICE. Print the following page and take it with you: https://www.nice.org.uk/advice/esuom14/ ... w-efficacy

In 3 separate meta-analyses for anal fissure healing, the Cochrane systematic review found botulinum toxin type A injection into the internal sphincter was:

No better than placebo or lidocaine pomade (3 RCTs, 136 patients).
No better or worse than topical glyceryl trinitrate (mostly 0.2%) or isosorbide dinitrate 1% ointment (6 RCTs, 334 patients, including 1 RCT of isosorbide dinitrate).
Not as effective as lateral internal sphincterotomy (5 RCTs, 365 patients).

The doctor is going to remind you that there is a risk of incontinence with LIS which you don't get with a "chemical sphincterotomy". Ultimately thats a risk for you to assume if thats what YOU want.

You should be aware if you are a woman that there is an increased risk of incontinence due to the damage caused by childbirth. If you are young, I wouldn't be too concerned as you are likely to heal well but if you are considerably older, then you may want to give this some thought.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Last edited by Resurgent on 31 May 2018, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
Resurgent
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Cost of LIS / Good Surgeons in Europe

Postby Gillie » 31 May 2018, 06:40

Thank you so much for all this information, I had already made my mind up not to have Botox and based on the evidence you have just provided, Im now 150% sure that will be the right decision.
I'm going to ring to see how quick I can get an appointment and take it from there. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your support.
Gillie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1