Feeling great after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Feeling great after LIS

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Aug 2013, 15:24

OMR,
I'm sorry to read that you have retorn so quickly after your surgery. It must be frustrating after having the surgery but please don't despair. I haven't had the experience personally but after reading a lOT of posts on this, can reassure you hopefully that having the LIS procedure itself will help you to reheal the fissure a lot more quickly as your CRS says. There are others here who have suffered exactly the same thing as yourself but have also been prescribed the same creams to assist the healing again and been very successful in fully healing.
Just be sure to continue with those really good lifestyle and dietary habits you have been forced to adopt, keep your body well-hydrated and I'd also recommend applying a generous dollop of Vaseline around the anal area before you pass a BM to help protect & lubricate the area. Zinc & Vit C are excellent in wound healing too.
It takes a long time for a fissure to heal generally because that area is so incredibly fragile, so just continue to be careful, but LIS really should help speed up your process.....Fingers crossed, you get through this quickly and are soon back on track :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby pinpin » 11 Nov 2013, 02:25

Hi omyrear,

How are things for you these days?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby omyrear » 06 Jan 2014, 13:12

I haven't been on here in a while, but things are not so great for me. I wound up having Botox in late October 2013; then at my 2 week follow-up appointment from the procedure, my CRS also diagnosed me with levator ani syndrome. The Botox must have worked for my fissure, but the last 2 months have still been filled with pain due to the levator ani syndrome. I've started feeling a burning right at the anal opening over the last 2 weeks after BMs, so I assume the Botox has started wearing off. Then this weekend, I was sick with a terrible cold/cough and was prescribed cough syrup with codeine. I didn't even THINK about the potential constipation from the codeine, but unfortunately, I didn't have a BM for 2 full days after taking only 2 partial doses of the cough syrup. I'm shocked that such a small amount could cause such constipation. I must have re-torn pretty bad when I was finally able to go last night (my BM wasn't particularly hard, but it was big) because I was awake ALL night long writhing in pain, and have been in terrible pain all day today after my morning BM. I have an appointment with my CRS tomorrow, so we'll see what she wants to do. Most likely just another round of Botox, which I don't have high hopes for, since it obviously didn't work this time. Not to mention it'll cost me $2000 due to my insurance deductible. This is all incredibly frustrating. I just went through my second Christmas, New Years and birthday with this stupid fissure - when is it going to end?!
omyrear
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Hope21 » 06 Feb 2019, 18:12

Hi Omyrear,

I know that this is a very old post but I'm checking in to see how you are. Did you consider a second LIS? Hope you're doing all better!
Hope21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2