Feeling really miserable

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Feeling really miserable

Postby danno » 14 Feb 2015, 18:44

On Tuesday (17 February) I go for a flexible sigmoidoscopy to see the causes of the mild bleeding after bowel movements and sentinel pile. I am terrified that this is cancer or something that requires invasive surgery or will lead to complications such as an abscess or fistula, which sound very unpleasant. I haven't had surgery since my adenoids were taken out when I was six and I am now 39. My GP is very unhelpful - he just doesn't communicate much about the possible causes and likelihood, but complains when people research on the internet.

I have had this problem on and off since 1998. The bleeding has been a lot worse in the past and a lot more painful - at the moment, the symptoms are mild (virtually no pain) but won't go away (the latest bout has been going on since about last April).

I tried proctosydol and it didn't work for me. Nitroglycerin gave me such bad headaches that I couldn't deal with it for more than a few days. I've been taking bulking fibre every day, more than five a day fruit and veg and anusol suppositories with cream once or twice a day and this has reduced the amount of bleeding. Under this regime, sometimes I've gone for many days without symptoms, only for them to return with a slightly harder stool or a little straining.

All that's on my mind is cancer. A friend died of cancer recently and I know two friends' parents who have been diagnosed as having anal cancer (a friend told me it is extremely rare, but this hasn't helped me). How will my family deal without my income?
I don't feel unwell, which is good. I do martial arts and haven't found myself becoming breathless or feeling weak - I did three rounds of kick boxing this morning, for instance.
If I don't have cancer, is it essential to have surgery for an otherwise non-problematic fissure (assuming it is one) or could complications develop?
danno
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Feeling really miserable

Postby chachacha » 14 Feb 2015, 22:37

You say that you're going in for a flexible sigmoidoscopy, but then mention surgery in your last paragraph. The flex sig is a scope that the doctor inserts into just the bottom end of your rectum to look around with a light to see what's going on down there (causing your bleeding). I hope that they don't find cancer, but they may also find something like hemmorhoids instead. I had a flex sig last fall and nothing was found other than hemmorhoids (mine have bled on and off for about 20 years now, at some times more so than others) and a fissure (which you may not have if you're not experiencing much pain. I think that it's a very good idea to have the scope, and hopefully it will rule out anything serious. Good luck on Tuesday and I hope that you can come back and report a good result afterward.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Zizi » 16 Feb 2015, 01:24

It might just be hemorrhoid or fissure. Also, if it's the hard stool that causes the bleeding, take miralax. It works wonder! Very soft stool. I do hope nothing serious turns up on your flex sig, good luck!
Zizi
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby danno » 17 Feb 2015, 17:09

I had the sigmoidoscopy today. There was no evidence of a fissure, but there was a small pile. However, in spite of the enema, I still had lots of stool in my colon and he wasn't able to complete it - the enema certainly worked after the procedure, though. This means I'll have to go in again for a colonoscopy, which I'm really not looking forward to. I am dreading the laxatives, particularly as the most common side effect is vomiting and I have a complete phobia of vomiting. The enema today, along with the air blown inside, has been awful as it was like having cramping diarrhoea.
danno
Fibre Addict

Postby danno » 17 Feb 2015, 17:13

I'd really appreciate people's advice and support on this. I've been worried for months and nothing has worked so far. I'm dreading a cancer result or something that requires surgery.
danno
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 17 Feb 2015, 17:58

I'm really sorry to hear that things didn't go well with the sigmoidoscopy. I had one late last year and only had a little bit of stool in the rectum, that the doctor could easily see around.

With regard to the colonoscopy prep, what have you been advised to take? In Toronto, most people I know have had to use Pico Salex, and I've had 4 colonoscopies in the past 10 years and didn't experience any vomiting when using it. I can understand your concern though, if vomiting is something that you really fear, but it may not happen for you, as it didn't for me. I drank a lot of ginger ale as my liquid of choice though, so maybe that helped too, since ginger has a calming effect on one's gut.

I hope that you're having the procedure done soon, so that you don't have as much time to worry about it all.

:smilyhug:
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby danno » 17 Feb 2015, 18:48

Hi, I'm booked in for 11 March. I've been prescribed Moviprep. It's reassuring that you've not had an adverse reaction to the prep. Was the diarrhoea really unpleasant? The enema wasn't pleasant at all.
It's odd what happened today. I had passed stools twice before the enema, which also made me pass some more stools. Yet there was still some in there when the sigmoidoscopy was done.
danno
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 17 Feb 2015, 19:16

I had an enema just before fissure surgery four weeks ago, and it didn't work at all like it was supposed to. I had to take it the morning of the surgery, before I went to the hospital. After having a big dump right after using the enema, I then had to go about 5 times after I arrived at the hospital. I told the surgeon that I still felt like I needed to go some more as I walked into the operating theatre, but he said it didn't really matter at that point, so not to worry.

The colonoscopy prep is harder on the bowel than an enema, because it involves the entire upper and lower intestine, but as long as I drink a LOT of fluid, it has never been that big a deal. I hate diarrhea (because it burns), but it is worth it in the end to find out what is causing your bleeding. I also bleed a lot from the rectum, but no longer worry about it because I have regular colonoscopies and know that it isn't due to something really bad, like cancer. Hemmorhoids bleed, and so do fissures, and just because your doctor didn't see one with the scope, doesn't mean that it isn't there (especially since he/she couldn't get a really great view because of your incomplete enema).

Please stay positive and I'll look forward to hearing more after you've had your procedure.

:D
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Dung_beetle » 17 Feb 2015, 19:29

For my colonoscopy I drank a different prep than the one I was told to use. Actually, I ignored my GI's instructions. I used Pico-Salax which was two small doses of an okay tasting liquid. After that I just had to drink a lot of clear liquids once the BMs started. I had no problems drinking 1.5 L in three hours because the medication pulled a lot of water out of my body. It made me thirsty so I felt no ill affects. I drank an electrolyte solution which probably made the experience a lot more pleasant. I've had dehydration before so I made sure to prevent it from happening again.

I'm also scared of vomiting and was really worried about it. There was no vomiting and/or nausea. I just had to go a lot especially after the second dose. My bum hole was raw towards the end.

Enemas are a lot more uncomfortable than a bowel prep. The diarrhea didn't burn and there was no cramping. My bottom became very irritated because of all the visits. On the second dose I had 15. The medication worked really well on me because I'm small and sensitive.
Dung_beetle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby danno » 17 Feb 2015, 19:49

He did see a small haemorrhoid but nothing else. I think he got around halfway. He said that fissures normally hurt a lot with bowel movements and I don't get much, if any, pain and he didn't see a fissure. My bleeding is just a little on the toilet paper after a bowel movement and sometimes I don't get anything, provided I have a soft stool.

Moviprep is different from Pico-Salex, though. I had the soreness from going to the toilet a lot after the sigmoidoscopy. I'm unsure whether this was the result of all the air pumped in, which was really uncomfortable and made me pass wind and a little watery diarrhoea. I am very concerned that I will need to go to the toilet while travelling to the hospital. How long does it take after taking the prep before the diarrhoea stops?

I am dreading the prep. My mother had prep for a colonoscopy and felt bad and vomited a little. She told me today that the vomiting was caused by nerves (she vomits easily), but she may well be saying this to reassure me.
danno
Fibre Addict