fibre/psyllium = stomach ache?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

fibre/psyllium = stomach ache?

Postby Corsi » 17 Oct 2008, 12:19

I have started taking psyllium, and I have experience really bad stomach ache when I take it.
Can it be the fibre/psyllium?
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Re: fibre/psyllium = stomach ache?

Postby cherylk » 17 Oct 2008, 12:44

Corsica,
It could be. How much did you take? I think with any fibre supplement is important to start out small and slowly increase. When I took Citrucel, it gave me a stomach ache.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Corsi » 17 Oct 2008, 12:52

First night one spoon, and then 2 days with 3 spoons with meals. Today I took only one dose with the last meal, and then stomach pain...
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 17 Oct 2008, 13:05

Is one spoon a teaspoon? Maybe slow down a little bit. I gradually worked up to 1 teaspoon/daily of Metamucil over a period of many weeks, but I have IBS and a sensitive gut. The benefiber in the am seems to be working OK for me right now. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Postby Corsi » 17 Oct 2008, 13:10

Yes, one teaspoon... How are you Cheryl?
Have a nice week end :)
Corsi
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 17 Oct 2008, 13:18

I have been doing pretty well lately and am quite happy that I have put on 9 pounds since August as I felt I was too thin. I think that I am about right now and may stop drinking Ensure to get extra calories. Some of the clothes I bought during my thin time don't fit and some are tighter now. I am also taking tap dancing lessons which is good excercise and a good stress reliever (and hopefully good for my bones). Thanks for asking! I would cut back on the Metamucil if I were you. I don't like having stomach pains!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby Corsi » 17 Oct 2008, 13:26

Good for you Cheryl putting on 9 pounds :) It can be quite expensive to loose weight or putting on weight, because one has to change the wardrobe. I have given away 2 really big bags of clothes because I have lost weight.
Enjoy your dancing lessons and the affect it has on stress and bones. Do you feel that yout stress level is better?
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 17 Oct 2008, 13:33

Don't forget some weight bearing exercise! That is so cool you are dancing. I so want to be able to take ballet, but I will settle for being able to walk my dog! I am glad you gained weight-I've put on about 12 pounds so far. I eat a 300 calorie protein bar a day and that seems to help.
It probably is the fiber, Corsi. That stuff can be pretty binding. I can take gobs of it and I am okay but I know lots of people can't tolerate much at a time. I thought psyillium was a wheat product? Or made from wheat? I guess I should google it to know for sure.
Have you tried Glucomannon fiber? That is fiber from yams and makes stools soft rather than bulky. If you don't have any over there I can send you some. Taken with probiotics it really helps.
Let me know what you need!

Postby Fissulyna » 17 Oct 2008, 13:38

Yes, definitely extra fiber can cause bloating and tummy aches. Start slow and increase little by little over the time . That just means that your digestive system is not used to so much fiber and extra gas production distend guts and that hurts. Guts actually react by pain only to distention - if you would be touching them with your finger you would feel nothing(do not try this at home LOL) - but if you stretch them just a tiny bit - they react immediately with signals of pain.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Corsi » 17 Oct 2008, 13:43

The pharmacist said it was gluten free...
What I need? You are to nice
I finally got out of my house yesterday, tried to hunt down chocolate with brandy, but didnt' find anything. We are going out tomorrow, we'll see in other shops. (Don't you dare saying "I don't need anything :D )
Yams are very healthy aren't they??
:bathtub: Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure