Fissure or not?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissure or not?

Postby Neetz » 23 Jul 2016, 03:42

Hi I'm new here and kind of freaked out. About 5 days ago after having a BM I wiped and saw blood. Naturally freaked out and immediately made an appt to the doctor. In the meantime I had my husband look at it and he saw a small cut at the 12 o'clock position that was reddish. So ok we figured that's what it was from. After squatting In a mirror and shining a flashlight up there I saw it too and when I pushed it would bleed. I went to the doctor and he did an exam with a proctoscope and finger and said there was nothing. He didn't even notice the cut. He was mostly looking inside. Still unsatisfied I'm scared of course Everytime I wipe after a BM there's blood. It doesn't hurt even. I have a picture my husband took of it and there's clearly a cut but how did the doctor not see it?? Also I have to mentioned I'm about 6 weeks pregnant.
Neetz

Topics: 1

Re: Fissure or not?

Postby Neetz » 23 Jul 2016, 03:49

I have to add that on the 3rd day there was no blood at all when wiping but maybe mostly because I had softer BM's. The day aftwe And today there has been. it's only the first wipe theres blood. After that there's nothing.
Last edited by Neetz on 23 Jul 2016, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Neetz

Postby Neetz » 23 Jul 2016, 12:10

Anyone???
Neetz

Postby Canadabum » 25 Jul 2016, 15:40

Neetz -- if you saw a cut of some sort then you saw it...whether the doc did or not.

Sounds like you have caught this very early on which is fantastic. Even if it is not a fissure you can take precautions and treat it as one by doing some of the following:

stay well hydrated (8 cups of water/herbal tea a day)
take sitz baths after bm (keep the area clean and promote blood flow for healing)
eat well -- not too much processed food, increase the soluble and insoluble fibre -- stay away from constipating foods
use a barrier cream/oil around the anus when you go to the loo -- that way it can hopefully slide across the cut

As important -- specially because you are pregnant -- i would consult with your OB -- ask if you can use a fissure cream (niphedipine and the like reduce the resting pressure of the internal anal sphincter...I don't know how it may or may not interact with the fetus and its heart...a doctor must be consulted). If you can use a cream then use it as prescribed.

Finally -- you may want to speak with your OB about fissures and pregnancy and delivery in general...if you are prone to fissures perhaps there is some preparation you can do for the skin down there in advance of delivery to try and prevent any problems down the road.

Please keep us posted -- and finally...congrats on the pregnancy...very exciting!

Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19