Fistula op is go!

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Fistula op is go!

Postby richibeno » 23 Nov 2012, 11:36

Hi guys '
just back from the surgeon. He said 'the abscess has healed well '
Have booked in for the 11 Dec for what I hope is a straight forward fistulotomy,
He said it involves the internal sphincter but hopes it will be OK ,
Won't know what is involved until he goes in when I'm under general a'
Hope the Seton goes and all goes OK
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Re: Fistula op is go!

Postby lovingwife » 26 Nov 2012, 17:43

I just got back from the surgeon. I scheduled the fistula surgery for this Friday. He assured me it is no big deal. I had this abcess for 7 weeks now. It fills up each day and hurts until I put pressure on it and it drains. So mine never healed. That's no way to live - so hopefully the surgery is a snap and I can put this in the past.
lovingwife
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby richibeno » 29 Nov 2012, 18:46

Hey loving wife good luck '
Please come back and say how it went '
richibeno
VIP

Postby Diamond » 29 Nov 2012, 23:31

Good luck LovingWife! Let us know how it goes.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby owmybum » 30 Nov 2012, 02:46

Good luck loving wife.... Let us know how you are post op. x
Omb
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Nov 2012, 15:41

Good luck loving wife.......You will be fine! Start the surgery and start your recovery process. ALL the very best to you :)
Rich, Will be thinking of you on the 11th! and hoping all goes well for you. Sounds like you might need the Seton but from what I've read, it's not all that bad once you adjust to it and you can only start to get better!!.........
I'm back in on the 19th Dec, for what I am praying is the final thumbs up! Still "feeling" some tenderness/ tightness in the area and the odd soreness, but not complaining just still being really careful though in all aspects. I restarted my stool softener but reduced it because after coming off it, I did notice it was more difficult to go and pass softer stools again. TBH, don't care if I have to take it for the rest of my life now if it gets me through happily!
Good luck to us all !!!!!!!!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby richibeno » 30 Nov 2012, 15:54

hi eto
i hope he can do the exam and then do a straightforward fistulotomy,he said it involves some internal sphincter but he said that should be fine its the outer sphincter that you cant, cut to much i hope its not to high so can go forward in one op ,dont realy want a cutting seton ,but at the end of the day i dont want any incontenance when its healed so i willgo by what he thinks, iv had this draining seton now since oct 4 ,and it can be a pain ,feels uncomfortable somtimes and can be a pain to clean up after a bm
heres to great healing
health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Postby owmybum » 01 Dec 2012, 02:54

Good luck with it all Rich... Hope it all goes well and you can get back to some sort of normality!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Had Fistula Operation Yesterday

Postby lovingwife » 01 Dec 2012, 17:42

I had an abcess that developed a fistula. The abcess lasted 7 weeks and was not getting better since the fisula kept feeding it - so surgery was required.
I was scare aboutthe surgery and crying getting ready for the surgery. But I had to say, it went real smooth. They had a anestiogolist put me under at 9 am and I woke up and it was done. I went home, at 10 am, took 1 oxycodon and that was it. It is the next say now. I had a BM - no pain at all. I removed the bandage, saw some blood, took a bath and replaced it with a fem. pad per their instructions. The abcess seemed to fill up again, but there is a good size hole to let it drain.
I did garden work, worked on the fence - hammered some nails, hit a few golf shots, did the laundry, made dinner. (I owe he wife since she put up with me during this ordeal) So 1 day later -and life seems to be normal. The doc, said no work for 1 week! Why? I do no know.
BTW, my fistula was fixed by slicing it open and letting it heal from the inside - out. This is the most intrusive method, but has the highest sucess rate - per my Rectal Surgeon. He did slightly have to cut my spincter - but said it would pose no problem. (before the surgery - the abces would fill up each day at 9 am, and I'd drain it at 10:30 - which was gross and painful - but it relieved the pressure and I was fine until 9 am the next day -then it would start all again - this lasted for 6 weeks - no quality of life)
So my only hope is that the abcess (the cause of the pain) heals and goes away. Let's see-
As far as the operation goes - it was nothing - less stress than getting a cavity filled - and take it from some one who is emotonally weak - me. I was a wreck over this surgery - and in retorspect - the surgeon was right - it's no big deal.
I hope my story eases the fears to some about the surgery. I am not sure if this is the condition others have here - If you have further questions, please contact me. No need to distress as I did - and I know every situation is different.
Paul (49 yr old male)
lovingwife
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby richibeno » 01 Dec 2012, 18:18

Great to see your doing OK paul hope mine goes OK to
richibeno
VIP