Fistula op is go!

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Fistula op is go!

Postby lovingwife » 01 Dec 2012, 19:13

I keep on hearing about a seton - I do not know what that is (I'll Google it now) . But my fistula was a tunnel that developed from the abcess to inside the rectum (only 1/2" up from the anus). He did cut the spincter muscle - but promised me no problems would arise.
The abcess is still oozing - but I am in no pain. I still don't understand how the abcess is still getting blood and pus to fill it up. When will that stop?
lovingwife
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby richibeno » 02 Dec 2012, 15:39

hi pete
i have a seton a draining one which keeps the fistula tract open to stop it closing on the outside ,if this happenens you can get another abscess ,i had a seton put in when he operated on my abscess and drained it ect i ended up with a 3cm by 2cm wound to heal ,
a fistula or wound must heal from the inside to the outside ,i have my op on the 11 dec i hope he can do a straight forward fistulotomy ,and i can get rid of this seton ,how big is your wound did he go 1/2 inch into your anus
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby lovingwife » 02 Dec 2012, 17:15

(Not sure if you meant Pete or Paul)
You know way too much for me. I didn't even look at my would - too scared now. I know I am still bleeding a little bit. The seton thing is foreign to me. The wound is inthe abcess area - about 3/4" of an inch from the anus. The tunnel went from that point to inside my rectum (only 3/4" inch up inside me). I am not sure what scar is inside me. I have no bandage now. I use a wad of toilet paper rolled up and wedged indide my 2 cheeks to catch the drainage. I change it every hour. Some spots of blood. The abcess was a hard spot next to the anus - now it is much softer and thus doesn't hurt anymore. So for me, there was only one operation - the fistula op where he took care of it and then opened up the abcess to let it drain. (6 weeks ago,he made a small cut in the abcess to let it drain - but he never saw a fistula then).
Anyway, it's Day 2-1/2 post op. I gotta say, I feel great -no pain. I think I can go to work tomorrow. No pain from BM either. I hope this is the end. I see surgeon in 3 weeks. He advised me - no work for 1 week and 8 weeks for full healing. Compared to the pain of the abcess, I feel like I am totally healed. Is there anything I am missing / taking for granted?? Let me know. I just had my 3 year cat scan for lymphomia - and that turned out great - So this week was a major healing week for me- I been thru a lot and really can't afford a set back - Please advise if anyone has any insight on my situation.
lovingwife
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby richibeno » 12 Dec 2012, 09:14

hey paul
hows it going hope your healing well
has mine done yesterday all ok
little higher than first thought ,but all went ok had to cut a little musle ,but he said the musle was strong ,so would be fine,
just waiting to go to the toilet ,hope its no painfull
richibeno
VIP

Postby richibeno » 14 Dec 2012, 10:14

ok here goes update time
its been 3 days since my fistulotomy ,
it went well it was a little higher than first thought
he had to cut a bit of internal spincter and some fibres of the external spincter but he said it would all be fine ,i have good muscle tone down there he said ,he does not forsee any problems with continance ect,
the wound is a lot smaller than when i had the op for the abscess ,
so far pain has been fine ,i am swollen down there a bit i can feel the grove he cut when he deroofed the fistula it goes into my anus not to far i hope i feel the grove more because its swollen so feels bigger this should go down soon i hope ,going to the toilet ,i did not go for 2 days i was worried ,i went on the second day and was fine no pain ,little sore after ,cleaning up after is warm water wetwipes ,then jump in bath with shower head ,then in my potable bidet hope this keeps the area clean enough,
am drying with a towl then haid dryer on low setting
hope my recovery continues ok
still taking movicol of a night 1 pack (13g)drinking loads of water keeping my diet soft as i can
all the best guys
here to great healing
health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Dec 2012, 03:40

Rich,
Glad to hear you finally got sorted! Great stuff........They never know what's truly happening until they get in there and have a good look!
It all sounds great for you and your recovery routine sounds spot on too. You'll get there and yes, all that swelling will go down, that's pretty normal stuff just after surgery.
Just keep up all the good work and you will be fine....Pls keep updating in the meantime and I'll be thinking of you.
Take it easy and all the very best to you in your continuing recovery xx
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby richibeno » 20 Dec 2012, 04:04

Hi eto yea not doing to bad .sore nurse on Tues which was one week post op .said it was OK .one area looked a little sore .said keep it dry as you can.its seems to be more acky and it throbs a bit .get the odd pain in the area .BMS are OK .doing the usual clean up but am sitting my biddet after I shower to help keep it clean .doc said I shojld run my finger through the wound .I guess so it keeps flat .I still worry about it healing OK .but there is no big pains or smelly discharge.
Happy Christmas everyone
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Postby ZeeZee » 24 Dec 2012, 09:08

Yo! Richie! Talk to me brother! How's it going?!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby richibeno » 24 Dec 2012, 09:43

Hey zee not to bad .saw nurse to day said it looks OK .little bit raw still .hope its healing OK .it been nearly 2 weeks now .it feels OK little bit sore .BMS are OK been a bit more carefully with clean up wet wipes shower head .then into bidet hot water .doc told me to run my finger through the wound .so it heals flat .feels strange but OK .no blood still getting drainage after a bm..no drainage or puss .so hope its all going well. My diet gone a bit AWOL ahhh Christmas. So will have to think of what I'm eating lol. Happy Christmas to you all
richibeno
VIP