Flaxseed/Linseed

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Flaxseed/Linseed

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2008, 07:54

Hey Tabby,
Sorry I am late to the discussion. I take flaxseed oil because it helps to coat the stool to help it slide out. I havne't done the flaxseed itself but I remember Buttgirl telling me she made a tea out of it and it really seemed to help in passing her stool. I think they need to be ground to get any of the essential fatty acids out but whole they probably just add some bulk.

I wonder if wheat germ would do the same.
Yeah, the psyllium powders have to be downed fast or they turn into this gelatinous paste (as you have found) and are quite difficult to choke down. I do take some psyllium from time to time if I don't get enough fiber in my diet but mostly rely on glucomannon because it doesn't make it bulky or scratchy.

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2008, 08:45

Ooo maybe i think too much ! :roll:
Lecia thank you for your reply,
That buttgirl sure is ingenious !
I will try to source some oil, i like the idea of drizzling it on my veggies :D
Im off to :google: wheat germ and glucomannon Image

Postby val » 24 Jun 2008, 12:59

I dont think we can get glucomannon here Tabby! Although maybe you'll have more luck in Scotland! All the health shops I tried had never heard of it!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2008, 13:32

Thanks Val, No joy in our local holland and barrett !

Postby val » 24 Jun 2008, 13:44

in our local Holland and Barret they looked at me liked I'd asked them if they stocked moondust when I asked for it!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Jen » 24 Jun 2008, 20:58

MLS -
I am so glad you have healed! And it is coming up on a year too! How wonderful!
Thanks for sharing your story. I love to hear stories about people healing on nitro, because I have been on it for almost 3 months and it truely has been a God send for me. The nitro stories help me realize that people can and do heal naturally. However, I am done with this. If I get off the nitro and my AF returns - I will make an appointment for LIS that same day!
When you said you ate the wrong things that contributed to your setbacks, what exactly was it? Can you pinpoint something in particular you did or were you just starting to go back to old habbits?
Jen :)
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby cherylk » 24 Jun 2008, 21:00

Jen,
How long do you plan to stay on the nitro?
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Jen » 25 Jun 2008, 14:10

Cheryl -
I have no idea! I feel better but I am so scared to get off of it. I have about 5-6 weeks worth of the nitro left, so I will use that and see how it goes after that. Also, I still have a full tube of nifedipine I plan oon using just for the hell of it after I get off the nitro. How long do you plan on using the creams? My doc said he has had patients stay on them for 8 months. He also said there are no toxicity levels or adverse reactions from staying on them for too long.
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 25 Jun 2008, 14:57

Jen,
Feel free to PM me if you ever wish. I don't want to use the ointment if not necessary. I have cut down to about twice daily as I was using it b/4 "going" also in addition to twice daily. I am in my third month of using and have just started my second tube. I think one can develop a sensitivity to it (depends on the person), and I don't want that to happen to me. I doubt there is a toxicity level; I just don't want to develop a sensitivity to something that has worked if you know what I mean.
C
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Jen » 25 Jun 2008, 15:17

Cheryl -
Thanks! :) Your such a sweet person!
How many times a day were you taking it originally? I have always taken my nifedipine & nitro 2 times a day. I see others on the board use them more - some use it 3-4 times a day. I think your right about the sensitivity. I think someone on the board had this happen to them. I think I will take my chances though. I took the nifedipine for 2 months. During this time, I did not notice a big difference with my anal tightness (it really did not relax the area). However, the day after I got off the nifedipine, I had my last setback. This makes me really scared to get off the nitro, despite the fact it works better for me. I think I will use what I have left, and then get off it.
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements