Flaxseed/Linseed

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Flaxseed/Linseed

Postby Guest » 23 Jun 2008, 04:16

Hello Dear Fissure Friends Image
Wonder if I can get some input on flaxseed/linseed?
I want to try this to add slight (not a lot) bulk to my BMS !
I experimented again last week with I teaspoon daily of Psyllium and while things were OK, I got such a fright one morning when I had overslept and when it came to the DO !
I had a feeling of constipation which made me panic sweat so came right of Psyllium, I didn’t like this feeling ! :pale:
What I want to achieve is more of a formed stool…haha don’t we all Image
I am still taking mirlax/movicol one sachet daily but feel this is making things sometimes too loose so I thought about dosing to half a sachet and starting some flaxseed?
Good idea ?
My questions are;
Which flaxseeds are best?
They need to be ground up right? Would this work soaking the seed in water?
How much should I start with?
How much can one take safely daily?
I would prefer to work with the seed; But have heard others talk about the oil, What are the advantages of using to oil over the seed?
Any thoughts?
Any input is much appreciated Image
Aside from this things have been good....TOUCHWOOD :hide:
Just me and my vaseline Image
Many thanks
:redlove:

Re: Flaxseed/Linseed

Postby val » 23 Jun 2008, 06:36

when I sprinkled some flaxseeds over my muesli, I ended up feeling bloated and it gave me major stomach cramps until I had a load of water- and then whoa! I was in the loo all day. I never repeated that experience!!
I took the oil every day and it made a real difference - in a good way.
Glad you and your vaseline are doing well!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 23 Jun 2008, 07:05

Thank you Val, I appreciate your input and well wishes Image
So really the oil is just a more convenient way to take flaxseed? Does the oil need water too?
Does the oil work in the same way , as to provide bulk?
So many questions !!!
I had some golden linseed last night but only under half a teaspoon in some yogurt followed by lots of water!! not sure it made any difference this morning, I tried to chew them but it wasn’t easy!
:stirthepot:

Postby val » 23 Jun 2008, 12:28

I dont think the oil provides bulk, it just makes things erm.. slide out better!!!
Mt stomach just doesnt appreciate any kind of bulk or anything it doesnt usually have really! But I'm just weird, I guess! Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby mlsohm » 23 Jun 2008, 19:58

Tabby; I've been pain free for about 10 months, no bleeding either. I used Nitro and ground flax seed. I buy whole golden flax seed and grind it in a coffee grinder before each meal. In the morning I put it on my hot buckwheat and oatmeal. At the evening meal I put it on my salad which I use extra virgin, first cold press olive oil as the dressing. I have had good luck that way. Sept. 9th, 2007 was the last time I had a set back and that was my fault for eating wrong. I first came down with AF Oct.28th 2006. Lived through the worst pain in my life for 5 month. Good luck and prayers from here. MLS
mlsohm
Salt Bather

Postby mlsohm » 23 Jun 2008, 20:01

Tabby; I forgot to add, start slow on the flax and work your way up to a TB spoon twice a day. I'm up to 1.5 TB spoon 2 times a day. MLS
mlsohm
Salt Bather

Postby Jen » 23 Jun 2008, 21:58

Tabby -
I but flaxseed that is already ground. I put 2 tablespoons on my cereal every morning. My BM's are usually perfect - soft with some bulk!
I hope this helps!
MLSohm- How long did you use your nitro for?
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2008, 02:54

Dear Val, Jen and MLSohm Image
Thank you so much for your input here, this is really helpful !
Jen/ MLSohm do you use a prescribed stool softner of any sorts?
Have either of you or anyone tried the Psyllium and what did you think compared to the flaxseed ?
I did a wee experiment with the Psyllium and put the recommended dose into a glass, left it overnight and hey presto wallpaper paste by morning ! that’s a lot of thick substance for one to pass through !!! Image
I am experimenting this morning with the flaxseed to see how they absorb !
Think I will start with a little ground flax and work my way up to the recommended dose :stirthepot:
MLSohm – did you eventually heal naturally ? I am so glad you are painfree now :)
Thank you again!
Best wishes to all
x

Postby mlsohm » 24 Jun 2008, 05:37

Jen, I used Nitro for the 5 months that I had pain and or bleeding. After the first couple of months it started getting better. In April 2007 it was mostly over with. June 17th I had a set back and got more Nitro. My fault again, did not eat right. Tabby, I take Psyllium when I don't think I get enough fiber in my diet. Yes I did heal naturally. If the AF would have gone on much longer I would have went for LIS, was about to the end of my rope for living that way. Good luck to all. I feel I was one of the lucky ones that naturally worked for me but we are all different so don't suffer too long before going for LIS. MLS
mlsohm
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2008, 06:36

Thanks again for your reply MLSohm,
Your story gives great hope , i have a check up soon to see how my fissure is healing and like you and Jen it has been a long process, i have suffered since march 2007, the first 6 months being the worst Image Slowly but surely i have got so much better......TOUCHWOOD !
I think possiblily i had too much fibre in my diet when i tryed the Psyllium ...i just dont know !
I think the flaxseed just might help my situation Image
Many thanks again and take care
x

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements