Had my surgery today

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Had my surgery today

Postby Searching4AF » 18 Jun 2009, 20:39

I went in and had my surgery today at 8:00am for my fissure and fistula. I think it went well!
They had asked me to to prepare the morning before I went it for surgery with two fleet enemas. While the process didn't hurt super bad, you all know the delayed pain that came was significant. It started hurting in the waiting room and then when I was pre-op I couldn't help but shift around a lot. The surgeon and anesthesiologist both notcied and asked if I was in pain. So when they wheeled me into the operating room they had my lovely cocktail ready. I went under instantly and woke up PAIN FREE. :D
I know, I know...it's the numbing drugs and what not. But it's been over 12 hours now and I feel them wearing off...but there's still very little or no pain at all. Guess I'll see how intense the recovery pain is gonna be tomorrow morning again. The prescribed me vicodin and tramadol for the pain/inflamation. He said I should remove the bandages tomorrow in the bathtub; and that I should start eating regular food immediately. I asked if I should continue with the MOM that I'd been drinking nightly and he said "no." He also said "don't fear the first bowel movement, you're not going to mess up any work I did or your stiches or anything."
He wants to see me back in two weeks. Thank you to everyone on this board for all your help and advice. You people are wonderful!!! I love what you're doing here and I want to help however I can. I'll update you guys tomorrow.
Searching4AF
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Had my surgery today

Postby Fissulyna » 18 Jun 2009, 23:25

Congrats for "surviving" the ordeal Image Image Image - I am very proud of you Image !!!!!
It is just fantastic news that you are in less pain (KTW) Image and excellent sign that you are already on the wonderful road of recovery Image Image Image !!!!
I was also advised both times (after both LIS surgeries by the 2 different CRSs) to resume completely normal diet and I did. They also advised me to take Metamucil every day. First time around it worked like a charm, second time big poop proved to be not desirable Image - so I had to adjust my poop LOL, for a couple of weeks - making it softer and smaller - but you will discover it on your own what is best for your particular butt reaction and anatomy ; ).
I am sure that all will be just great - really do not worry about first BM - I know that it is easier said than done - but there is great chance you will be pleasantly surprised Image !!!!!
Thanks for keeping us posted Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby derryboy » 19 Jun 2009, 03:14

what kind of fistula surgery was it you had. i had laid open fistula surgery on the 1st of june. it went well. still in pain but nothing compared to what i was in. the 1st 7-10 days i didnt sit much, walk much, i was pretty much lying on myside(thank god for laptops). my crs tld me to take keep up fluids,take pain relief regular, so i was keeping on top of the pain(never wait for pain to kick in) eat bland foods for the 3-5 days after surgery, and also uped my movicol intake a bit, as the G/A and pain drugs can really constipate the body,i stuck to soups, jelly, fruits, simple foods,
i also took showers rather than baths, and still do, and also showered my butt after bm`s, i am a little bit ocd about keeping the wound clean, another infection is something i dont want, the nurse comes in still everyday, my wound needs packing with gauze rope, it helps heal the wound proper, as its needs to heal inside outwards,
my crs said 4-6 weeks healing for fistula surgery, but the wound can remain open for longer, i go back to see him in aug 8 weeks post surgery,.
are you having to get your wound packed everyday,
hope some of the things in this post helps you
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby Searching4AF » 19 Jun 2009, 13:15

Sorry Derry I'm not sure which type of surgery I had. He mentioned 2 procedures. One for the fissure and one for the fistula.
Today is day 2, and I must say that I was expecting more pain. I feel better than I have in the last 3 weeks. I'm scared that it's too good to be true.
I felt very little pain yesterday; actually no pain. I could just tell that something had happened. I ate rotisserie chicken and vegetables for lunch. I filled both prescriptions but didn't take either as I wasn't in pain. I had fish and more veggies for dinner and had no problem urinating before I went to bed.
Woke up today, no pain. Jumped in the bath and to soak and removed bandages. Then I had my FIRST BM post surgery. It was soft and painless. (I didn't take Milk of Mag last night for the 1st time in a week- doc said not to.) It's been almost 2 hours since my BM, and I did take 2 vicodins and a Ketorolac because I thought there would be pain. But, NOTHING!! Image
I really am feeling like this might be too good to be true. I will absolutely keep everyone updated.
Searching4AF
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Jun 2009, 16:14

I am soooo happy for you Jason Image !!!! Believe in your healing - it is very important and there is no reason not expect the great result !!! We had many members who had complicated surgeries and healed VERY fast and completely Image - it is just unfortunate that they leave and are not around to tell success stories - but who could blame them LOL - once one is free of this nightmare it is only natural that one wants to forget the whole ordeal and continue living happy and pain free life !!!
I think that your fast action on doing something about the whole situation and finding great CRS that did superb job is giving you GREAT advantage and that you will heal in no time (KTW) !!!! The longer the fissure is present, more scar tissue forms and more inflammation develops and spasms just become relentless preventing healing even more. So, all in all, everything is going in your favor Image !!!
Best of luck for the continuation of your healing Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 19 Jun 2009, 16:26

Wow, that is just great, Jason! Sounds like your bladder had no problem waking up after the procedure!
Keep in mind, even though you are doing very well, that you need to keep acting like you have your fissure/fistula for sometime into the future...they won't be healing for a few weeks. Avoid sitting as much as possible and let us all know how things go!!
Deleted User 5

Postby happyass » 19 Jun 2009, 18:37

congratulations jason.
i think this is the most encouraging post-op surgery experience to-date.
i wonder if you had the fistula plug type surgery compared to derry's opened fistula surgery.
anyway, keep up your good spirits, be very cautious with your diet in keeping up your fiber and fluids, and just like kim said, just be weary since you have some healing for a few weeks up ahead.
however, i look forward to your continued great news!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Searching4AF » 20 Jun 2009, 14:56

Just a quick update guys.
Again, thank you for all your encouraging words. I am a person that actually has a large family and a big social circle of friends. But I found in you guys here on the boards what I couldn't find in them, real understanding. They haven't lived through this so it's hard for them to relate. So I know I probably sound like a broken record, but THANKS!!!
Anyways, last night I was walking around the grocery store and I started to "feel" my wound a bit. Not pain, I think I could just feel the painkillers wearing off. So I took two more painkillers last night before bed. Woke up this morning feeling fine. Just had my 2nd BM...and it was larger and bulkier than I'd hoped for. No pain though (only been about 20 mins). Doc said no stool softeners but I think the painkillers maybe dried me up a bit. I'm gonna drink more water starting today.
If I'm not in agonizing pain in the next few hours then I think I'll be comfortable declaring my surgery a total success!! Of course I know that I still need to give the area time to heal though- not gonna go eat pizza or ride a bike anytime soon! But before this all happened I was walking about 5-6 miles a day...wonder when I can get back into my routine?
Searching4AF
Fibre Addict

Postby Searching4AF » 22 Jun 2009, 09:06

Day #4 post surgery and I feel great. I can still feel that something happened 'down there' but it's not an uncomfortable sensation. I'm still taking it easy, not walking at the park just yet (no need to rush it I suppose). I'll probably wait a few more days.
Still haven't gotten back to eating breads/pastas. I think i'm gonna start with pasta, then maybe whole wheat bread. Not sure yet, scared about 'bulking' things back up again even though I passed a large stool w/no problem. Guess I'm just going to have to see how my body reacts to each thing I eat, maybe need to start a food journal.
Searching4AF
Fibre Addict

Postby pinky » 22 Jun 2009, 10:07

Its good to know you are recovering well.Its normal to feel small aches after the surgery.Slowly start with the normal diet and be careful of what you eat initially.
Good luck with your healing
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6