Hello all, Newbie here.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hello all, Newbie here.

Postby cherylk » 25 Oct 2009, 05:08

Dazzy,
Miralax and Movicol are the very same thing; just have different names due to countries. I know I am dependent on Movicol, but it sure beats having an AF and the pain and anguish that goes along with it. All my docs have assured me that it is not absorbed into the body, but I do not like putting a chemical into my myself. Considering the alternative, I'll keep taking Movicol. Docs also give/suggest Movicol for babies and toddlers. I personally know of 2 children that are now taking it.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: Hello all, Newbie here.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 25 Oct 2009, 20:23

My fissure definitely gets more annoyed when I reduce my Miralax dosage, but for me I don't think it's a matter of stools actually getting any harder than usual without Miralax. It's just that stools of normal hardness/softness are already enough to cause the fissure to hurt, and my stools simply go back to normal when I stop Miralax.
A super high fiber diet did help my fissure-related pain, but it wasn't enough by itself. I'd have preferred to not take any laxatives at all, but the benefits outweighed the downsides in my case and I'm happy I did get my hands on Miralax.
I'd personally try other approaches first but definitely keep the ointments and stool softeners as a backup option just in case.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45