Hello

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hello

Postby Guest » 07 May 2008, 10:42

Thanks for all your support and comments. I read quite a few posts prior to coming out and requesting help. It appears you guys and gals really care for each other.
One other thing. I understand that making sure the anal sphincter muscle does not spasm. How do you know if your in spasm or not?
Thanks
Melissa

Postby Fissulyna » 07 May 2008, 11:12

Muscle spasm usually causes strong, dull pain in anal area that lasts for hours after BM , sometimes 24/7 like in my case. Also, poop that comes out can be much thiner in size than normal and it is hard to push any suppository inside the anus. CRS during examination can also with certainty tell if muscle is in the spasm. Also, having trouble
passing gas without straining can be sign of a spasm. All in all, it is hard to miss "the feeling" since it is always accompanied with lasting pain that is relieved somewhat with applied heat or antispasmodic creams.
I hope that your husband is feeling somewhat better !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 07 May 2008, 13:16

All,
I don't know if I am in the correct "thread" as I am just now getting comfortable logistically with replying and posting messages, but I wanted to share that I use Balneol perianal cleansing lotion with cotton balls after having a BM. I had never b/4 heard of this lotion, but my Mayo doc gave me a pamphlet about fissures which listed this info about Balneol and cotton. Just posting this in case someone can be helped with the info. I am learning a lot from all of you.
Thanks,
Cheryl K.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 May 2008, 13:49

The Balneol sounds like a good thing, Cheryl. Wish I had known about it about two years ago, thanks for sharing that!
Now, whenever someone with a fissure Googles "Balneol" they'll get this website and lots more information!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 07 May 2008, 15:39

My doctor suggested I try Balneol too. It stung me but just about everything does because of my nerve sensitivity.

Did you go the Mayo clinic for your colorectal issues. We thought about going to Cleveland Clinic but fortunately found someone in the next state that could help us.

Postby cherylk » 07 May 2008, 15:45

I went to Mayo's mainly for my digestive issue which was diagnosed there as Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I had gone through numerous GI tests in my area but didn't feel that I was making any progress towards feeling better. I requested that I be seen in the CRS area at Mayos in addition to the GI area. I would highly recommend Mayos to anyone. It is only 6 hours away from where I live
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 May 2008, 15:57

I have only heard good thing about their clinic, but they were much too far away for me when I was suffering, and it would probably have just been overkill for my simple fissure anyway!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 07 May 2008, 16:35

Hello Melissa,
Sorry to hear about your husbands fissure. i hope you read thru this forum and it helps him. The best advice I can give is stick to a routine. Change his diet (adding fiber gradually) and drink plenty of water. I am on my thrid shot if Botox coming up here on May 12th, but hopefully he won't need that. I use nefedipine cream too which is a blood pressure cream. Also have him take nice warm baths that helps the pain and spasms too. Good luck and let us know if you need anything.
Patty