I'm home!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: I'm home!!

Postby andyk123 » 22 Aug 2013, 03:20

Hi omb, just caught up with your progress and I'm so sorry to hear you are still having problems. I know how disappointing it is to go through the pain and stress of it all and still being no better. Having said that though it means you are one step closer to being cured.
It sounds like advancement flap surgery is going to be your next surgery, or maybe a conservative lis. Either way I'm sure Dr Windsor will choose the right option and you couldn't have a better surgeon in terms of skill.
In terms of your tailbone pain, I had this for about A year. I bought special cushions, I saw a physio, I changed the way I sat and I got really down about it as I felt that it was so unfair I had this as well as a fissure.
I read alot about it though and realised that so many people have tailbone pain, but no doctors could explain why. I then began to read about a doctor called john Sarno and read his book. It's a theory that is quite widely accepted now that alot of pain people experience, pain that can't be accurately diagnosed or explained is actually caused by the brain. The theory is that when you are going through tough times, or maybe if you just have certain issues eg anxiety or you are just stressed, the body creates pain as a distraction. I don't know if I believe that is really what the bodies doing but I do believe the mind can create pain. So after a accepted while I accepted that there was nothing physically wrong with my tailbone, and that I had gone through all my life of sitting, slouching, lying down without it hurting, for it to suddenly hurt would make no sense. It then got better in a few weeks and now doesn't hurt at all. And when it did hurt, it was agony just to touch. Google tms tailbone pain and have a read. There are people who have also got over it through applying the techniques. But the jist of it all really is just to say to your self. There is nothing physically wrong with my tailbone, it is being created by my mind to distract from stress or worry.
Just yesterday I was driving in the m1 and I'm quite an inexperienced driver and it was really busy so I was a bit stressed. My tailbone started hurting just like it used to and for a while it was really bothering me and I was thinking to myself, am I sitting awkwardly, have I hurt it again. Then I thought to my self, no, it's the same as last time, it's cause u are stressed, ignore it. 5 mins later the pain went.
Anyway I feel I might be rambling now! I no it sounds weird and I am in no way trying to dismiss your pain, I would have been the first to rubbish a theory like this in the past, but after a while I became desperate and the more I read the more things rang true. And in the end I feel it directly cured my tailbone pain, and also knee pain.
In terms of your fissure though, keep your head up. You will get it healed. My only advice is to try your best dry hardest not to let it dictate your life. Easier said than done I know. Good luck omb :)
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby owmybum » 23 Aug 2013, 10:37

Hi Andy..... Thanks for looking in on me in ' fissure-ville'... I will look into tms pain and have a good read, thanks.
I hope you continue to be fissure free??
Ever since I started taking the manuka honey I have been experiencing the dreaded second bms. Do you think it could be the honey?? I have always been a once a day gal... But the last couple of weeks, more often than not, I have needed a second bm. I have been very sore from the second one today... My bum can only take one disturbance a day!!
Any one have any experience with this??
Mr w answered my email today....
He said it was unusual to experience any side effects with Botox.... Usually it's just an allergic reaction that anti histamine can sort out. He thinks it's best if we get the MRI done then talk about the next steps. He also said he didn't think LIS is an option for me. His secretary rang me this morning and booked me in to see him on the 14 oct. it could have been sept 27 but I am away on holiday then... Typical!!!Image  So.... Things are moving in the right direction... All be it at a snails pace!!
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby andyk123 » 23 Aug 2013, 12:07

I am still fissure free Yeh, touch wood. Then surgery really seems to have worked for me. In terms of manuka honey making you go twice, I personally doubt it. One thing I realised post surgery is I have less control on my bms than I thought. Since I stopped taking movical, and started eating whatever I want my bms have been really soft. It's weird. I have eaten steaks, currie, pizzas etc and my bm have been fine. Then randomly I will have a hard bm, or like 3 in one day, and I don't know why. I'm not saying u should come off a fissure friendly diet, but I do think we are abit hard on our self's when it comes to treats. I think the most important thing is drink loads of water.
Are you smearing the manuka honey? I think u are much more likely to possibly see improvement that way? I also bought a product called medi honey off amazon. This is actual sterile manuka honey made purposely to treat wounds. I used it to help my surgery wound heal and I think it helped, but it's hard to say. It's quite expensive, and so I am abit reluctant to recommend it as I know from personal experience that it is tempting to buy products, and this often results in money being wasted. But it is used on wounds as I say, even the nhs use it on surgery wounds. So it may help.
P's enjoy your holiday. Hopefully your fissure will be good for a week!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby owmybum » 24 Aug 2013, 09:47

Yes, I'm using the medi honey on my bum at night, and eating a big teaspoon full of manuka in the day.
I'm so glad you are now eating everything you want.... And so you should!! I'm so glad to hear you can finally get on and enjoy life without the butt issues... Good old mr W eh!!
I'm not super strict with my diet, as I don't have IBS or anything like that. ... Saying that... I wouldn't eat pizza or donuts or a big burger ... Or sweet corn or peanuts ... Or bread..... LOL but that's just a reassuring prop for me.
OMB xx
Ps..... Or white rice..... Or white pasta...... ... Yeh.... Normal diet!! LOL
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 25 Aug 2013, 08:42

A comment about the second BM.  I understand your sentiment about just one would be ideal.  I asked my naturopath (he specializes in AF's and hemmies) how I could do this and he just chuckled and said, "yeah, good luck with that!"  So, since then I stopped focusing on how many and just try to keep them passable.  I know when the pain was worse I needed to go more often (three or four times even though I was eating less)--probably because it was so hard to 'empty.'  I've also read that eating more veggies tends to produce more frequent poos.  Hope this gives you one less thing to stress about!  My diet is relatively 'normal' but I do avoid the white rice and white flour kinds of foods.  I have no problem with sweet corn...although starchy is also has fiber.  I am really trying to keep that mix between insoluble and soluble fiber going strong (along with water--getting harder to remember).  It's too bad we have to think so much about food and poos, but overall my diet changes have been healthy!  Good luck to you!:D
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Rachael 1984 » 27 Aug 2013, 06:07

Hi OMB, hope you are okay. Thinking of you. Xxxxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Guest » 28 Aug 2013, 10:26

Hey OMB
Maybe if you just applied the honey to your bum and ditched eating it then you may go back to your one-a-day bm's.
Do you find yourself pushing or straining more than you should in this second bm?
Either way, we hope you find what works for you sooner than later.
GL

Postby owmybum » 28 Aug 2013, 11:54

Hi all,
Yes, I've ditched eating the honey since Sunday... And I've not needed a second bm so far this week. I will just carry on putting it on at bed time.
Things seem a little better the last couple of days... I don't know if it's the honey, hydrocortisone I used for 7 days or the fact that I am now supporting my coccyx area when I have a bm ( a bit like the toilet seat Guinness is using)... But I feel a couple of steps nearer that corner.
My routine is now as follows....
Am.
Cup of tea which always makes me go
Supporting my coccyx during bm
Warm bath, and dry off with hair dryer on cool setting
Apply some regular anusol, as I am still suffering with the Himalayas!!
1 sachet of movicol am
1 sachet movicol pm before bed
Warm sits before bed, then apply the honey.
Buttastic..... No I never needed to push or strain with the second bm. It just came out easily. It just left me sore again that's all.
OMB xx
Image Image Image Image Image 
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Aug 2013, 15:18

OMB, Image
It's great to read you are finally feeling some relief and turning a corner! I'm really pleased for you - It seems like you are finally finding a routine too that works. I'd guess it's possibly a combination of all that's helping but the Manuka is supposed to be a great thing to use & I see you finally decided to try both methods of using it!!........
Those nightmare Himalayas eh!!? I'm now 100% convinced my pair are a direct result of all the intervention down there. I think they'll always be there but at least I know how to keep them calm these days....one bit of aggravation though and they pop back up!! I think you might be a bit like me in that respect but you will get them under control as things get generally better! Walking, no straining at all and staying hydrated to get the soft stools definitely help a lot in my case, oh and always showering clean rather than applying wipes to clean too. I also discovered I was being too thorough in my cleaning routine and trying to clean internally too much. I'm a lot more relaxed now about it all and that has helped.......
I'm finding I literally "flop" and relax on the toilet now too rather than tense in any form for a BM and that has made a huge difference - Are you possibly still unknowingly quite tense when you have your BM? because you might have fallen into a pattern of perhaps adopting a posture that is not relaxing the area around your coccyx and therefore, keeping it in a state of tension, which could be causing some of the issue. I found myself in a pattern of doing this. I find if I sit (lean) forward a bit on a toilet seat (although I prefer to squat) with my whole head flopping down, chin kind of resting on my neck and just focus on deep breathing from my stomach that everything passes very smoothly and relaxed too.....Sitting up straight or leaning back causes tension for me......It's just a thought??......
Anyway, may your progress get better & better......It's about time you got your break too now!!! xx
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Please go-away! » 28 Aug 2013, 18:22

I'm glad your doing allot better OMB, My hemies some times appear too. I don't have any pain what's so ever and in time even your soreness, that feeling will go away, you will see.
Give it a little more time..all the best we are here for ya, we are here for each other ..Image 
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15