I'm home!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: I'm home!!

Postby owmybum » 26 Oct 2013, 07:47

If you do suffer from harder stools try some movicol. It's really reliable at keeping things soft. Start with one sachet a day... And adjust the dose accordingly. Some need more, some less. Using this alone has helped me more than any other thing ever has. You can ask your dr to write a prescription for it too... As you get free prescriptions after the baby... Saves paying out!!
Get your self a sitz bath.... They sell them on amazon... Really good for having a quick soak after a bm, or if you just feel sore, and haven't the time for a long soak in the bath!!
Drinking plenty of water is a must for keeping stools soft and easy to pass... Make sure you keep on top of that... I remember when my kids were babies, I'd get to about 11am and I hadn't even managed a drink or any breakfast.!
Generous blob of Vaseline on your anus, pushing a little in if you can, really helps to lubricate the area and protect the fissure during a bm.
If you can, get a little stool to pop your feet up on during a bm...it really helps with elimination. Also, supporting yourself during a bm can be really beneficial. You can put some folded tissue against your fingers ang gently support either the back, just under your coccyx...... Or your pelvic floor, which is your perenium (between your lady bits and anus) . I feel, as you've just had the baby, the latter would be good for you to try.

Hope something there was helpful!!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sue30uk » 27 Oct 2013, 12:07

Hi Pyra, thought I would do a brief reply. I have had fissures for almost 3 years now and am a 30 year old female. I have come up against the same as you in that no one seems willing to do LIS on me. I have had lots of complications with fistulas and abscesses but had botox 3 times now and each time it hasn't worked. Someone replied on my message and mentioned advanced flap procedure which may be used. From what I can gather, the woman's sphincter is weaker, therefore there is a greater risk of incontinence. Plus if you are of child-bearing age, during labour the 'pushing' can tear things further causing incontinence. I am currently researching LIS as I think the time has come. I am alot better than I was but its not right and I wonder if they will ever fix me 100%. Each person's case is individual I think and that's what makes it so difficult to treat. I would be interested to know his response about LIS on women, as I had considered going to see him but may not if all he suggests is botox!!! Would be expensive for a consultation and travel costs to be told the same thing! My heart goes out to you having a young baby aswell as dealing with all this. I have concluded if someone would do the LIS and it would help then I would be willing to forego having children. A big decision I know but have thought loads about it. I hope you manage to get it sorted, will check in on you when I can:)
sue30uk
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby dent1 » 27 Oct 2013, 15:19

Hi I'm the one who had the advancement flap - Mr D in Bristol seems to avoid LIS on most patients and offers Botox with a vy advancement flap which I could not find much info about at all. I also agree about the movicol being much better as a laxative and I plan to carry on with it longer term as I am hypermobile and this is linked with gut dysmotility and things have been so much better since taking it. I also had to have other suregry as I had a prolapse as well and all seemed to be linked.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Rachael 1984 » 28 Oct 2013, 14:43

Just checking in on you OMB...... Hope you are okay? Do you have a date for the tests? Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby owmybum » 29 Oct 2013, 11:15

No...... No dates through yet. Will try ringing mr W's secretary next week if I still haven't heard anything.

I'm not doing too well at the moment to be honest. I'm only using the recto at night as I can't function with the headache. Have been really sore today, two prickly bms for no reason at all. Bleeding again now. I'm so fed up with my bum at the moment........ Well, you know how it is!!!

I hope everyone else out there is having a better time of things than me!!

:smilyhug:
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 30 Oct 2013, 10:31

:huggies: OMBl :huggies:

Better days are ahead, we're sorry to hear about your current state.
Wishing you are able to contact whomever very soon. Yes AF may
seem to be winning this latest battle, but you will ultimately win the
war. Press on OMB.......

:rainbow: :rainbow: OMB :rainbow: :rainbow:
Last edited by Deleted User 2950 on 31 Oct 2013, 09:41, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 2950

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Oct 2013, 18:02

Thinking of you OMB & always following your progress........
Stay strong lovely x
:smilyhug:
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby returnofpuzzledbutt » 31 Oct 2013, 16:52

Thinking and praying hard that we all get over these things. I really hope tomoro is a better day for u pet xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
returnofpuzzledbutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Ever the Optimist » 31 Oct 2013, 19:00

P.s. loving your pumpkin :) x
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby owmybum » 01 Nov 2013, 04:08

Thanks guys. Xxxxxx
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum