Iron

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Iron

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2008, 08:13

That is one option but 6 months time and to travel so far Image
Where does your mum live Fissy ??

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Dec 2008, 02:47

Hey Tabby- buddy Image Image Image !!! Yes, 6 months is a long time Image - but better ever than never , I guess. I will try to make app. with new Gyn and "a girl" for that matter, and see what she thinks.
I the mean time I will try those herbal Fe supplements that Sunshine suggested and I will chew on some spare rusty nails Image
Hope you are super -duper Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Corsi » 01 Dec 2008, 06:43

Fissulyna wrote: .... I will chew on some spare rusty nails Image

Yes, do that you FruityFissy...I love your humour.
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby cherylk » 01 Dec 2008, 08:34

Fiss,
Try eating lots of iron rich foods like spinach and other things. I would think you could find an iron supplement that would agree with you. I took one years ago and I don't think I had any problems with it affecting my digestive system. Maybe you could try several different types???? I think he gave me one that wouldn't cause constipation and my son with Crohn's took one for quite awhile also.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby pinky » 01 Dec 2008, 14:51

Oh Fissy,sorry you are struggling to get treatment with iron.all of ur levels indicate iron deficiency anemia.are you symptomatic?i think iron transfusions are the best and its better to avoid injections.injections can be very painful and can cause local reactions.a few years back,the consultant i worked under was against iron injections as one of his patient had died due to severe reaction.he was mad at the midwife who'd arranged for the injections for his patient.its rare but u have to be careful.i really dont know what to say to a gp who hasnt heard of transfusion.can you not see some other doctor?meanwhile,do eat iron rich foods.i think u have menorrhagia which is causing you to be anemic.transfusion will not treat the anemia unless the underlying problem is treated.even if u have the transfusion,u will become anemic again due to blood loss.hope you can sort it out soon.
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Dec 2008, 00:13

Hey buddies , thanks so much for all of your input and care Image
Pinky - thanks for warning me about injections Image I guess that is "off the list" too than Image Yes, you are right, as long as I have heavy periods I would always tend to be on the low side , but occasional boost would not harm, especially since they do not offer any good treatment for my particular case Image
Corsi - fruity I am Image lol, very known fact here Image Unfortunately it also gets me in trouble here sometimes - but I will survive ; ))
Cheryl - did you get Fe infusions - IV in your arm ??? I think you mentioned it somewhere ! Spinach has a lot of Fe but since it also has Fe inhibitory substances for absorption and is not good choice as Fe booster. But, there are many other plants - I will start grazing on CA hills - will do me much of good in many ways .
Fissy - oh thats me ...lol
LOVE TO ALL !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby cherylk » 02 Dec 2008, 01:44

Fissy,
I took iron pills, but I think when my mom was pregnant with me she took iron shots which I think she indicated hurt a lot. When I was anemic I was somewhat short of breath at times as I recall after walking up the stairs and such. My iron count is good now. I was looking on the spinach bag last night and it indicated that the amount of iron in spinach is not all that high which surprised me. I'll see if I have an old empty bottle from the iron supplement, but I doubt I have one.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Dec 2008, 02:01

Thanks Cheryl Image I must have mixed up something Image Sorry !
I am constantly tiered, get dizzy when I stand up suddenly, have palpitations , and am pale as a ghost. My palpitations got MUCH better since I started Co-q, and hawthorne - almost gone now Image But, since my new blood tests came in and showed that my iron is even less than 4 weeks ago it really bugs me Image . I will order those herbal Iron supplements that Sunshine suggested - they are made in Switzerland and must be good :) !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby cherylk » 02 Dec 2008, 06:36

Fiss,
Be careful with supplements as they are not regulated! But anyway, I could not find the old pill from the iron. My son with Crohn's took iron and also a multi with iron. His iron was down to 7 and he almost had to have a blood transfusion. Now his iron is OK. Could you try a multi with iron? Just an idea. If I run across what type of iron my son took, I will let you know. Why do you think you are low on iron? Are you having heavy bleeding? That is what I had at the time. I may be older, but at least I don't have to mess with that stuff any longer (endo pain, cramps, and low iron). Image But now I have to worry about my bones, so it is a trade off!! Good luck!
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 02 Dec 2008, 06:41

Vitamin C might help us to absorb iron. So, for example, having a glass of orange juice with a meal, or having vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, green peppers or potatoes (all good sources of vitamin C) we might be able to increase the amount of iron our bodies get from our food.
And of course dark chocolate Image

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements