LIS and anal stenosis?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS and anal stenosis?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 01 May 2010, 19:13

Both :( Pain still isn't anything to write home about, just some mild aching and soreness. Probably from the rectal exam yesterday. More annoying than anything else. Mental regrets because due to work and family circumstances, I probably won't get another chance at LIS for another couple of months. I told myself at the end of last year that I'd do something about the problem this and here it is almost 50% through with everything that same, sheesh.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby mmb0423 » 01 May 2010, 21:10

did you call to find out if it's still open?
mmb0423
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 May 2010, 00:09

Hey Mechelle, nope, not yet :oops: Still deciding if I should even check... I'm pretty sure I won't be able to reach anyone during the weekend, and even if I'm able to, I doubt they can schedule anything outside of business hours or on such short notice. Plus the doctor's office probably already thinks I'm nuts anyway, I dunno if I want to add to my legend at this point. Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 May 2010, 14:07

lol ok I called the surgeon and have added to my growing legend of indecision. She says her schedule is still open, and the surgery center likely still the time slot and operating room open, but we just need to double check tomorrow morning. If the surgery center still has the slot, then we're on for LIS -- final decision!
Now I just have to wait the rest of the day and thru the night before I know if I'm getting LIS tomorrow or not. Not really the way I wanted to mentally prepare beforehand, but I'll be happy if everything ends up panning out :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 02 May 2010, 14:57

Wow, what a saga I missed while I was going helping my pharmacy student son pack up his house for his upcoming move of one week. Have you ever thought about being a reality TV writer, NG??? Image
Seriously, I think any surgery is not to be taken lightly. Could you postpone the surgery until your family situation settles down a bit (since you are not in a lot of pain). I think one's mental attitude is important. I'll share one of my past experiences that might help you:
When I finally decided (with the doctor's agreeement) to have carpal tunnel surgery, I had 100% confidence in my doc and what he was going to do to my hand. I told the nurse that prior to surgery, and she said that outlook would greatly contribute to a successful surgery. In other words, one's belief in the doc and the procedure is important. I had a good outcome with no probs. I know a hand is not a butt, but I think the same logic would work for both (except a person can easily discuss a hand, whereas, as we all know, most of us do not discuss our butts with most people). Maybe envision the worst thing that could happen with either decision. Either way it will probably work out OK!! Be sure to let us know, so I can tell Dwight about what's happening with you. I'll be talking to him tomorrow!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 May 2010, 16:15

Hey Cheryl, hope your son has a good move. Moving always stresses me out.
No more postponing for me, if the LIS slot for tomorrow ends up still being available (I'll know at 9 AM Pacific Time on Monday), then I'm taking it! :)
My discomfort is not that bad right now, true, but it's also been at this same level for what seems like forever now. I just don't think it's going to get any better without further intervention. I feel like I've cowered in the corner for long enough now and and am ready to finally do something about it. Surgery, like anything else, will be a roll of the dice, of course, but I'm willing to take my chances if it can give me my life back. When my fissure was real bad, I felt like I was in hell, but even with minimal pain, for the last 6+ months I've still felt like I'm still in some kind of prison, and I just want out now...
Thank you to yourself as well as Dwight. Wish me luck -- hopefully the slot is still open and I'm able to get in and get this over with tomorrow!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby mmb0423 » 02 May 2010, 16:36

I think it's a good way to go into it... you won't have to stress out for hours before hand. I prefer to do things that way... like my decision on whether or not to go back to school way simply based on whether or not I would have enough time in this year to get credit for the year. I like putting things out of my hands a little and I feel like I'm putting them into God's hands a little. I prefer to let Him make some decisions for me! I'm terrible at deciding things though. lol
mmb0423
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 May 2010, 17:00

I'm terrible at making decisions too Mechelle (in case you couldn't tell already :)). I also just like deciding something and getting it done right away. I hate thinking about things way ahead of time because then my mind just goes crazy!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 02 May 2010, 17:02

I'll await the latest news of the am from you. I agree with Mechelle about putting it in to God's hands. Try meditating and/or praying tonight!!
I have some good news to share on the other thread!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 May 2010, 17:06

Thank you Cheryl! I'm planning on numbing my mind with video games and sports tonight :) Then staying up late and tiring myself out on purpose so that I'm not as anxious tomorrow. So tomorrow either LIS will happen or my workplace will have a real sleepy dude show up for work Image
I'll look for your good news!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure