Long -Term Fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Long -Term Fissure

Postby Mr. Fissure » 14 Nov 2008, 18:28

Hello,
I am new to the group and have a first question? Has anyone had a chronic
fissure that has healed without surgery? I have had mine on and off for over
1 year. It gets better and then bang! there again. Is surgery the only answer?
I have used the nifedepine but after I stop it comes back. How long can one use
these creams? Can time really heal all wounds? Thanks,
Mr. Fissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Long -Term Fissure

Postby Jen » 14 Nov 2008, 21:45

Mr. Fissure -
Your fissure may heal on its own, everyone is different. However, with it going on for a year, I think you should try something else besides the nifedipine like botox or LIS. Now that it has been going on for so long, you have developed scar tissue that will take a while to heal.
I was like you, my fissure healed on tore on and off for 18 months. Once, my fissure healed for 4 solid months with the help of nitro and BAM - Image - it was back again!!!!! Image I finally got sick of all the setbacks and had LIS in August. I had one setback shortly after surgery, but my bum has been treating me well lately with the help of lots of water and fiber. I do believe I am better off having had LIS. LIS is not a cure, it only aids in healing, which is why I retore after surgery. I figure if I am careful for the next year or so, I should be fissure free for good! Image
Hang in there & welcome to the board! :hi:
Jen Image
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 15 Nov 2008, 01:53

Hi Mr. Fissure !
Sorry that you had to end up on this forum because of your pain - but you will find caring and supportive people here who will be able to help you with managing your fissure or surgery if you end up having one.
The best way is to read as much as possible from this site, especially diet threads and references and than ask if you have any additional questions.
We have members who healed naturally, than those who used creams or Botox and also surgery veterans. Some of us had to have 2 or more surgeries Image
All in all - everything is possible but the longer one has a fissure , the less likely is that fissure will heal without some extra help since a lot of scar tissue forms and makes it hard for a fissure to close properly. Also, if sphincter is supertonic , it keeps fissure open and prevents closing :( .
I wish you all the best and welcome to our "buttelicious" place Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2008, 07:28

Hi Mr Fissure Image
I have long standing fissure too Image I used the Diltiazem for a very long time - About a year - Same thing happened i came off the cream and it came back :(
I have used so much cream that i developed a sensitivity Image I am now under the spell of botox :roll:

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2008, 19:36

Welcome Mr. Fissure. So nice of you to join us though I am sorry to hear about your fissure. It has got to be one of the worst things I have experienced and I have had a lot of pain.
Mine did heal after 4 months of applying diltiazem 3-4 times a day, taking 3 baths a day and eating a very bland diet. But I also had this sentinel pile that took forever to heal so the whole thing took about 8 months. I think I would have opted for surgery if it were recommended for me. I have rectal neuropathy and the risk of complications was a lot greater for me. I think after a year of the roller coaster I would seriously consider it in your situation. I guess you will know when you finally just get fed up and can't take it anymore. But make sure you are doing everything to heal on your end by keeping your bms soft.

Postby Mr. Fissure » 17 Nov 2008, 10:30

Hello all,
Thank you for welcoming me to your group. I think I will make an appt. to see a CRS this week. I have read alot of posts and agree going straight to a CRS is the way to go as general doctors do not specialize in fissures. Thank you for your comments and advice, it is nice to have someone to talk to about this subject.
Mr. Fissure
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 17 Nov 2008, 10:38

Mr. Fissure,
Be sure to let us know what you find out. Good luck!!
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Corsi » 18 Nov 2008, 13:36

I'm on my third Botox now...
Good luck with your fissure :)
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby cherylk » 18 Nov 2008, 13:43

Corsi,
I like your avatar. I hope you are feeling better.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Mr. Fissure » 18 Nov 2008, 14:51

Thanks Corsica,
How long have you had your fissure and did you have the LIS before the botox?
Good Luck with the botox, I hope it works well for you :D
Mr. Fissure
Salt Bather