Magnesium Question

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Magnesium Question

Postby Jen » 08 Sep 2008, 21:47

Kim & everyone -
What kind of mag do you take? There is mag oxide, mag glycinate, and mag/calcium.
I am taking 500mg mag oxide, but I am wondering if there is a big difference between the different kinds.
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Sep 2008, 06:11

Mine is Mag oxide, too. I really don't know the difference, I'd have to google that!
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 09 Sep 2008, 07:53

Jen,
My doctor recommended mag glycinate, which is what I used to take. Sounds like you are still worrying!!
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Jen » 09 Sep 2008, 09:09

I have yet to find good info on the net about the differences between all the mags. When I find it, I will post it for everyone. Here is some gerneral info I found on mag - It is kind of interesting.

Magnesium is a vital component of a healthy human diet. Human magnesium deficiency is relatively common, with only 32% of the United States meeting the RDA-DRI, and has been implicated in a number of human diseases. In certain limited situations, magnesium oxide has been reported to be effective in maintenance treatment of the manic phase of bipolar disease. There are a number of magnesium supplements available. Magnesium oxide, one of the most common, has been reported as the least bioavailable. Magnesium citrate is more bioavailable than oxide or amino-acid chelate forms.
Excess magnesium in the blood is freely filtered at the kidneys, and for this reason it is difficult to overdose on magnesium from dietary sources alone.With supplements overdose is possible, however, particularly in people with poor renal function, but can also occur without renal dysfunction. Alcoholism can produce a magnesium deficiency which is easily reversed by oral or parenteral administration, depending on the degree of deficiency.
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Sep 2008, 10:03

Great info, Jen. It figures the one I've been taking is the least bioavailable. But I'm a cheapskate...
Deleted User 5

Postby Jen » 13 Sep 2008, 19:49

The mag oxide has been giving me awful cramps (I have been taking 500 mg). Did anyone else notice this????
I think I am going to cut my dose in half.
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2008, 20:31

I take mag glycinate.  It is supposed to be better tolerated but it is harder to find.  I get mine from vitaminshoppe.com.

Postby Jen » 13 Sep 2008, 21:12

Lecia -
Do you buy the 400 mg tablets? I saw it at vitaminshoppe.com - your right, it is very hard to find in stores. That is why I gave up and bought the oxide stuff. Dang - my belly has been huring bad from it.
Jen
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 14 Sep 2008, 16:18

I found it at local small natural health shop thingy owned privately. Let me see who is manufacturer ...Nutraceutical Corp. for Makers of KAL Park City, UT or www.nutraceutical.com. Yeap - 400mg tablets - says 2 times daily .
Good luck Jen with glycinate type - I hope it will not bother your tummy : ( !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 15 Sep 2008, 13:07

Thanks for the info Fiss! Image

I just ordered the 400 mg mag glycinate and some omega 3 6 9. I also bought some metamucil to try. I am going to find the perfect fiber combination for me one day hopefully!
Jen
King Fissure