Magnesium Question

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Magnesium Question

Postby Jen » 29 Jun 2008, 09:25

I have a couple magnesium questions for anyone who takes it...
1. How many mg do you take?
2. How often do you take it? Daily?
3. Where do you buy it?
4. How does it help with your BM's (does it make them runny, more frequent, etc..)?
5. Would you recondend it's usage?
Jen
:dorothy:
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Magnesium Question

Postby Guest » 29 Jun 2008, 09:32

Hey Jen. I take probably a bit more than what a "normal" person would start with but I really needed it because I was constipated from the GA from surgery and just kind of kept it up. I think 400 mg would be fine to start with.

1. I take 1200 mg a day
2. I take it at about 5 pm
3. Vitamin Shoppe because I use magnesium glycinate because it is better absorbed and is harder to find.
4. It help to relax the rectum so that stool passes more easily. I didn't find it to make it runny-maybe a bit softer.
5. Yes. Especially if you are not regular.

There is also a drink that one of the boardies recommended called Natural Calm which you mix with water and drink before bed. It helps you sleep and helps with the BM in the morning. They have different flavors too. And because you can control the dose by how much you scoop in that might be a good way for you to start!

Postby buttgirl » 03 Jul 2008, 10:13

iamtiredofthis wrote:I have a couple magnesium questions for anyone who takes it...
1. How many mg do you take? BETWEEN 750 AND 1000 DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH I EAT
2. How often do you take it? Daily? YES DAILY
3. Where do you buy it? GROCERY STORE, HEALTHFOOD STORE
4. How does it help with your BM's (does it make them runny, more frequent, etc..)? YES. IT KEEPS THEM ON TIME AND SUPER SOFT
5. Would you recondend it's usage? YES. I'D RECOMMEND ANYWHERE BETWEEN 500 AND 750 WITH THE OCCASIONAL 1000
Jen
:dorothy:
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby small_flower » 08 Jul 2008, 20:30

Hello.
1. I take only 100 mg
2. I take it daily
3. The vitamin Shoppe
4. It definitely makes things softer, even when I havent taken all of my medicine.
5. I would HIGHLY recommend it's usage. Not only does it help fissure sufferers like us, but it promotes sleep and it promotes the absorption of calcium in our bones! Bonus for us.
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Jul 2008, 16:07

Don't forget to add the other minerals at apporpriate levels into your diet, too, to compliment and synergize the magnesium.
Deleted User 5

Postby juney » 10 Jul 2008, 09:05

1. i take 1 tablespoon MOM (according to the bottle, that's 1200mg magnesium hydroxide)
2. i take it every night around 10
3. any drug store, grocery store, or my dr
4. makes the BMs runny or flaky or just plain soft, depending on how much i've taken/what i've eaten
5. absolutely. i've said it before, but it's the only thing that's given me pain relief in my situation
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby val » 10 Jul 2008, 12:37

I'm confused, are magnesium supplements the same thing as MOM?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2008, 13:14

I think essentially they are. Magnesium is the active ingredient in MOM. But there are different forms of magnesium so I am not sure if it is a straight comparision taking MOM or mag supplements.

Postby val » 10 Jul 2008, 13:19

I can take the supplements no problemo but MOM gives me cramps after a few days! I have a very funny tummy which doesnt like anything!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby happyass » 10 Jul 2008, 13:31

I am mixed on this one. My CRS told me to stay away from it when I mentioned to him that I was taking it a while back.
I know that at the beginning it helped relax me - not in a valium sorta way but just being able to be a bit more able to BM down there.
After a while though, I began to get stomach pains - not sharp pains but weird sensations and I perceived the magnesium to be the culprit.
If you are going to take this as a supplement, then you should be okay following the advice on the recommended dosage on the bottle.
However, taking anything over that (which I was - I believe I was taking like 600 mg per day), you should really get blood work done - a chemistry panel - to make sure this high a dosage doesn't interfere with your body.
perhaps in a short time we derive a benefit, but we don't necessarily know over a long period of time how such high dosages can affect us.
just proceed with caution when exceeding the daily dosage, especially if you are going long term use.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74