Making the Call

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Making the Call

Postby SunshineHope » 17 Nov 2008, 00:54

Hey all.
I know I've been lurking around for ages on the forum unhealed. I've tried different things and persisted in keeping up the 2x daily bms, using miralax, trying to keep things soft, trying to get rid of the irritating skin tag, using aloe vera, etc. but still, it's been a roller coaster ride. I don't want to say that aloe vera didn't help me because it really has, especially when I apply the pure aloe vera juice vs. gel and when I drink it. Still, though, the problem has persisted for nearly two years! So I've decided I'm going to just make the call for LIS and write my name down, because it'll likely take 4-6 months before I can actually get the surgery anyway. If I have any last hope of healing naturally (or with diltiazem) in that short span, so be it :). I'm still terrified to actually get it done. I hate taking pain killers for a bare headache, let alone the thought of getting surgery done on my anus... But I'm also sick of the ride not ending.
I do have faith that with my handy dandy new juicing machine, I'll be a lot healthier, and will also have more frequent BMs if I start having green smoothies regularly. I'll also be going back on diltiazem in the meanwhile because I never really used it consistently - it would irritate the skin tag so I would stop for a few days literally, then again for a day, and it would irritate/make the skin tag horribly itchy. It was a weird cycle of temporary healing and then pain and/or blood again! This time I'm going to try to apply it in the anus like Kim has suggested a few times, so it doesn't come in contact with the skin tag.
I'm also still getting in touch with the naturopathic doctor to see what natural medications he has to offer for constipation. If he could rid my friend of his chocolate, wheat, etc. allergies, maybe he can help my digestive system break dairy down better, or other foods.
Thanks to everyone for lending an ear.
love to all.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: Making the Call

Postby Corsi » 17 Nov 2008, 05:07

Wise decision I think :)
As you say, if you heal before, that's fantastic! How much pain are you in now?/how bad is your fissure ?
Image Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 17 Nov 2008, 06:36

Hi Sunshine Image
I think so too , atleast this way you have some time before to know if this is the right decsion for you !
A suggestion ref the diltiazem - I too have suffered the itch from the cream , I use an applicator to put the cream inside and then rub a little outside, if I feel the itch coming I will shower off it off , this seems to work for me just now !
I wish you well Sunshine !

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Nov 2008, 06:56

It worked best for me when I got the cream farther up, Sunshine!
I think it's time for your roller-coaster ride to end. I hope your CRS can do a good evaluation on you and make the right call concerning LIS. You have been up and down for so long! And don;t be so worried about the pain-killers or the procedure -- I was afraid before mine but now that I know what I went through, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Funny, I almost used your exact same avatar last week, Sunshine!
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 17 Nov 2008, 07:53

Sunshine,
I think you really only need to use the diltiazem on the inside. That is what I always did.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby juney » 17 Nov 2008, 11:23

good for you sunshine! this problem has persisted for you for so long, i'm glad you're taking the next step. you should at least give the surgery a try. i had my first LIS when i was 24 and there were no problems or complications. i don't think you'll have to worry about incontinence or anything like that at your age. this just may be the cure you need since you've tried everything else!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 17 Nov 2008, 12:10

I think it is time to investigate the surgery. You have taken your time coming to the conclusion and I know it is a difficult one that you have thought about before. I think if time and again you keep going back to the same thought then it might be for a reason.

The juicing sounds great-it will keep you strong and help you heal. You could try botox still as an interim treatment and see if it helps. It is probably as expensive as your juicer. Whatever you decide we'll be here! Image

Postby Jen » 17 Nov 2008, 13:31

Sunshine -
I think you are making a wise decision! I waited 18 months to have LIS and my only regret is not having done it sooner. Let us know when you get a surgery date!
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby pinky » 17 Nov 2008, 18:04

you've suffered for a long time and it should end.LIS is a good decision and the success rate is higher than other treatments.as lecia has suggested,you can try botox as well.dont be scared of LIS.its a minor procedure and there will be drastic improvement in the pain.the first week is the worst but it will get better after that.many here have healed and felt better in few weeks.i wish my crs wouldve operated sooner.my spasms are gone,only soreness and dullache.im taking a long time to heal,im hypothyroid,my skin tag was removed and im not eating too many nutritious foods.
you can put your name down for LIS and get botox in the meanwhile.if it works,you can always cancel the surgery.you need a good experienced surgeon and everything will be fine.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby SunshineHope » 17 Nov 2008, 23:04

:hi: everyone. Thank you for your support. I've had a hard day at work and it's really great coming home to all of these messages. Corsi, my fissure has been on and off for the two years so I was often pain-free, sometimes for an entire month at a time... Then something would go wrong again and I'd bleed or have pain. Usually I'd decide to have surgery or botox when I'd have pain, but the pain would go away within few days and I'd be fine again. I've never had spasms, only pain during the BM (which would go away 10-12 minutes after), and sometimes soreness if I've had a bad few days.
Tabby, I'd love to get an applicator like that. Does anyone know where I could find one like that? I was wondering how else to put diltiazem far up. I have tried putting aloe vera gel up with a qtip before but it's easier when I'm not in a lot of pain... The pain makes it hard to put anything up there. I called and they've given me a surgery date for March :flush: but hopefully someone will cancel so I can get in sooner. I'm thinking of looking for other doctors to see if I can get it sooner. This guy has such a good reputation; it's very hard to get an appointment with him.
I'm going to go with diltiazem for a little while longer while I wait and I will think about botox in the meanwhile. If you hear of anyone from BC (Canada) that wants to split the botox shot, lol, let me know. My fears of LIS are just surgery in general and the permanentness of it- kind of scared of incontinence. Not too scared of the pain, heard it doesn't last too long.
Take care everyone & thank you :)
Kim-- I could see you having this display pic! You should've put it up Image
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38