My 11 year anal fissure

Would love to hear from others going through the same thing xx

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: My 11 year anal fissure

Postby Katie » 17 Mar 2018, 10:39

So this Monday it will be 9 weeks since my lis I can see healing his happened! And I'm not in pain as long as I take my movercol everyday! And things are soft! Bit it's still not 100% healed maybe it's taking longer as I had my fissure for 12 and a half years before I had the lis!!!! I'm just praying with each week it carries on healing! How long did others take to heal??? Thankyou X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 02 Apr 2018, 16:33

Did they do a fissurectomy at the same time? Or clean the fissure up? Did your fissure come an go before lis or was it constantly there not healing?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby clarissairene » 04 Apr 2018, 11:03

Its been over 2 years since you last posted Katie and I just read this whole 18 page post lol. I am dying to know.... how are you now 2 years later??? Hopefully you will see this one day and update! I am thinking about a LIS but my doc wants me to do 6 more weeks of ditalizm and konsyl fiber and if it doesn't heal he will do it.
clarissairene
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 04 Apr 2018, 14:09

Hey my doctor doesn't want to do it either its only a last resort according to him but I'm in NZ an every doctor I've spoken to freaks me out about lis where do you live? I've had a dose of Botox for my fissure it is noticeable I would give that a try Frist if I was you ever more so if your fissure isn't years old
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby clarissairene » 04 Apr 2018, 15:33

Missy....
I am in Florida in the US. Ive had this issue for about 2 years now. off and on but now its been ON since March of last year :( I know the day it reopened. I passed out from the pain. And from that day this fissure has not healed. I will be good for a week or two and then BAM.... its back for 2-3 months. However..... if I am being honest I did not do exactly with the rectal surgeon told me last march to do. He said take konsyl (physillium husk powder) twice a day and a softner once a day and the Ditalazm cream 2 times a day. I bought some generic husk pills that did nothing for me, my diet was bad. And the cream bothered me. So 1 week ago I was in the worst pain ever and couldn't take care of the kids or go to work and it was my breaking point. pain that didn't let up. So.... I went back to the surgeon who last year told me if it didn't heal the LIS would be last resort. So I promised him for 6 weeks I would do everything hes said. Then hes going to do something called a mamentory test? And then if its not healed he will do the surgery. But he said something about taking skin from somewhere... a flap surgery ? I don't know I need to get more info from him. I want the surgery today. I am done living like this. :( Ive seen your posts around too. I've been lurking for about a year! My surgeon wont do botox. he said he goes straight from conservative treatment for months to the surgery. He said he doesn't believe botox gives good results and ends up in surgery most times. He said if I wanted to try botox to find another rectal surgeon.
clarissairene
Fibre Addict

Postby Hopefull123 » 04 Apr 2018, 17:19

Hi clarissairene, Katie is around, her last post was recent, I am sure she will give us updates. My surgeon also said botox doesn't work very well and didn't even offer. But can you ask yours why does he want to do flap instead of LIS and fissurectomy. The success rate for flap is a lot lower. My surgeon also asked me to be patient and do psyllium husk and diltiazem, but I lasted only 3 weeks and after a retear due to PMS hard stool, I called and scheduled the surgery immediately. I can't tell you what a relief I felt. After about 3 weeks I was 90 %. Don't take the psyllium husk pills though, because you have to take so many of them to get the daily dose and people tend to take just a few which won't do much. Just get the powder and take 1 teaspoon in a little bit of juice, shake the cup with a lid and drink immediately, then drink more water right after. Do the same in the evening with a half teaspoon only. This dose works perfectly for me.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby missy moo » 04 Apr 2018, 22:54

clarissairene, I would go straight for lis if I was going to jump into something because lis works very very well it's the gold standard for a while it was the first go to but then things like flap an Botox came around so they started giving those a chance first I think your surgeon maybe means if the test comes back to say your anal tone is already low from child birth he'll do the flap surgery otherwise lis if your tone is fine? Try your hardest to stick to everything he's said for the next few weeks unless you can just go in an get lis then that's up to you but if you have to wait anyway give it your all an try to put yourself in the future don't get stuck in the moment harder to say then do but I find it helpful to try not focus on the moment an look to the future you healed an happy, try sitting in a hot bath 3 times a day to relax the muscle it only has to be hip hight also take an anti-inflammatory they really help me when things are really bad also no one mentioned flap surgery to me an I have 2 kids I don't think thats done that often if im honest it's normally lis, pm me if you want support advice or to ask any questions I feel for you hun x
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Katie » 08 Apr 2018, 05:48

Hello just seen all the new message I never get a note when new ones come up I'm 13 weeks past my lis op things are going well I would say about 70% healed but last week I was on anti-biotics and it made me have an up set tummy for a few days!! when they left my system my toliet got a bit harder even with all my movacol I take and the whole area become sore for about 5 days it's healing but cos the skin is so soft it can tear easy!!!!!!! The lis only loosens the muscle the tear then needs time to heal.im seeing my surgeon on the 1st may first time since op so we will see how things are going! I have been fighting this coming up to 13 years I had the creams,5 lots of bottox the clean up op and then got a fistula and had another op! But the lis is the only thing that has helped with healing! I had to fight for it begging my surgeon for a long time but in the end she gave in its cos they so worry about leakage after!!!!!! I'm in the best place I have been for years but cos I had my tear for years it's going to take time I'm guessing as it was so deep and long I am still getting sore days but nothing like I was getting being in spam for 12 hours a day xxx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 08 Apr 2018, 09:02

Are you in the UK, Katie? I really wonder why they fear incontinence so much there? My surgeon said that he's never seen or heard of a case amongst his colleagues except once, when a surgeon friend of his had a patient end up with flatulence issues. My surgeon is in his early 60's now, and has done a LOT of LIS procedures, and his colleagues have done a lot as well, and yet none of them has had a problem with incontinence (with that one exception). I wonder if the doctors in the UK do the procedure differently, or the surgeons performing the procedure in its early days, did a poor job so the younger surgeons just don't dare do it much now? And, of course, if none are doing it with regularity, they won't develop the skills to do it safely.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Katie » 08 Apr 2018, 12:34

My surgeon is in her early 50s I would say she has done the lis more in men as woman have a shorter muscle and there have greater risk fir leakage yes I'm in the uk and they make u try everything before even thinking of the lis op and the wait can be over three months for each sort of treatment so was under the hospital three years trying different things until I got the lis x
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist