My AF experiences, and LIS op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My AF experiences, and LIS op

Postby Danish_AF » 18 Sep 2012, 06:33

Hi All,
First I would like to thank you all for the posts on this board.
I found the board last week, when I was in a lot of pain, and I know now that the next thing for me is the LIS procedure.
I have had my AF the last 22 months, and I have been trying all kind of things to fix it.
First I was on Rectogesig for about 4 months, and that did not help me. In the next 8 months I got 2 botox treatments on a private clinic, and they did not do the thing for me either. After the last check up, the CRS told me that he would do a LIS op next week, and I got so afraid because of all the warnings about incontinence after LIS op. That was when I decided to go in for a 2nd opinion in NHS in Denmark. They put me on Diltiazem hydrochlorid for 4 weeks, and I was only to apply it 1-2 hour pre BM. It did help a bit, but was not groundbreaking. On the next check up the CRS made a schedule for botox/fissurectomy.
About 8 weeks ago I got the Fissurectomy, and botox once again, but this time in the NHS, and that did make some difference from the two other times with botox, when it started to kick in. The AF almost disappeared, and I thought that this was to be the breakpoint for me, after so many months in pain and on strong medication. But last week I could feel that all the old symptoms were coming back, great pain, spasm etc. It was now just a question of time when I would be back where I were pre the last botox/fissurectomy. And I was right, this weekend it all went wrong again. I did not have a hard BM, but anyway the BM were bloody, and I could feel the AF were big and open again Image
Before the last botox/fissurectomy the CRS told me that I had to think about the LIS op as an option, as he thought that I would end up with that, and he was right. Fortunately I had been reading on this great site for most of last week, about LIS op, and therefore was prepared for it, and it did not scare me anymore, with help from all of your great threads/posts. Therefore I called the hospital yesterday, and asked them to book me for a LIS op. They had a cancellation this Wednesday for a pre check for LIS, and at that appointment we will schedule when I will have the LIS op.
I am so lucky that my employer have no problems with me working from home, and I have been doing that for the last 12 months. But now I really am getting sick of working from home. I really miss the close contact that you get everyday on the job, and I really miss all my lovely colleagues. I think, that helped also making it easy to take the decision about the LIS op, I really want to go back to work so bad.
Like all of you I have been changing my diet, and drinking a lot water past the last 22 months, and do all the right things that can help you healing an AF and live as normal as we can. In Denmark we eat a lot of fiber, because we have this bread called “Rugbrшd” that we eat in the morning, and for lunch. The more fiber in them the better in my opinion, and it gets you all the fibers that you need in one day. I still have been using Magnesiumoxid, but not that much. For pain I have been eating Oxynorm with Oxycodone in them. I now that they can cause constipation, but I have never had problems with constipation during my AF adventure, because of the high fiber “Rugbrшd” and Magnesiumoxid. I have seen a lot of threads with people saying that it is a no go with opiates for pain when having AF. I think if you get the right diet, and laxative, then it’s no problem with opiates for pain relief, but that’s my opinion. I read a lot of threads with people in pain, so I don’t understand why these people should not have some real pain relief, but again I guess that their DOC/CRS have another opinion. My DOC/CRS have all been against me using Oxynorm, because of the risk of constipation. I have talked to all of them about this, and after some persuasion they all understood the need for me not to be in pain. What I mean is, that if you don’t get constipated of pain killers I don’t see why people with AF should not have them. I also know that pills with Oxycodone are addictive, but it’s not as bad as you read on some sites. I have been up and down in doses of the Oxycodone that I have been eating the last 19-20 months, and I don’t think the withdrawal is that hard. I almost was off them after last botox/fissurectomi. I just withdraw 10mg every week, and by doing that I did not feel uncomfortable. In the beginning of my AF adventure, I got Tramadol for pain relief, and they did not work. So if you are like me, and can’t handle the pain, try to put some more fiber in your diet, and ask your DOC/CRS about some Oxycodone for pain relief, as they do work really well.
I have also been experimenting with pain relief from cannabis, in the first months with my AF, and that worked pretty well, in the beginning when the pain was not a big a problem as it is today, and have been for the last 19-20 months. Therefore if your AF only gives you a small pain, then cannabis perhaps could help you with the it, so you still can live your life close to normal. I have a friend that baked me chocolate chip cookies with cannabis, and I could really not taste the cannabis in them, but after about 1 hour post eating them, my pain would go away for like 8-10 hours, and then I would eat another, and that would remove the pain for the rest of the day. I know cannabis is illegal in most countries in the world, but I must say that I did not think of that for more than 1-2 sec. before I eat the first cookie, and never did I think about it again. It did also help a lot on the spasms, and for most of the day i did not feel my muschle had any spasms.
I think that post my LIS op, when the pain from the operation is gone, I will try to switch to cannabis cookies again, and withdraw the Oxycodone with 10mg every week, till I am all of them.
Again I will like to thank all on this board, for helping me decide to go for the LIS op just by reading your posts. I think that I will show my CRS the board, so he can give the url to other AF patients, because if I got so much help just by reading what others have been writing, then others could benefit as well.
Hope that you all have a good day, with a lot of progress in area51
Kind regards Danish_AF
Last edited by Danish_AF on 01 Oct 2012, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: My AF experiences, and LIS op

Postby Danish_AF » 18 Sep 2012, 08:05

Forgot to write, regarding the Oxynorm, I tried them as depot med. with the name: Oxycontin and they did not do the trick for me.
As soon i were back on the Oxynorm again the pain went away :)
Kind regards
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 18 Sep 2012, 08:08

Best of luck with whatever decision that you go with! A lot of our members have success with LIS, and gone on never to darken our doors again. We will certainly be here to see you through 'it'.
I remember the rye bread in Denmark. Very good for digestion. Most people try to stay clear of strong painkillers on the forum (the ones that I have followed anyway), even after LIS, due to the A-1 worry of not getting constipated after the surgery. But, if you do read some of the messages from those who have had surgery (Davo - in the UK - is a good one that I can think of off hand, but there are a lot more), you will see how they coped with it. It is not as easy to get anything with codeine in it without a prescription in the US. Denmark, if I remember, did not require a prescription.
All the best, and keep in touch with your progress! Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Danish_AF » 18 Sep 2012, 08:25

savaici wrote:Best of luck with whatever decision that you go with! A lot of our members have success with LIS, and gone on never to darken our doors again. We will certainly be here to see you through 'it'.
I remember the rye bread in Denmark. Very good for digestion. Most people try to stay clear of strong painkillers on the forum (the ones that I have followed anyway), even after LIS, due to the A-1 worry of not getting constipated after the surgery. But, if you do read some of the messages from those who have had surgery (Davo - in the UK - is a good one that I can think of off hand, but there are a lot more), you will see how they coped with it. It is not as easy to get anything with codeine in it without a prescription in the US. Denmark, if I remember, did not require a prescription.
All the best, and keep in touch with your progress! Image

Hi savaici,
Thanks for the warm words :)
In Denmark you do need a prescription for them, but as i see it, my DOC will have trust me when i tell him that im in a lot of pain, and need the strong ones. And he did understand it after me and the miss went to tell him how bad things were.
Again it is some strong "sh.." so if you can manage without them that is the best thing.
Davo's thread were the first I saw on this board, and it was the one that got me thinking that I would like to have my life back. That is why it was not a big deal when things went wrong in the weekend, and I decided to go for the LIS.
I really feel so moved reading on this board, because I know what you all feel, but we have to be strong, and them we can beat this monster Image
Kind regards
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Hospital today

Postby Danish_AF » 19 Sep 2012, 09:36

Hi All,
So went to the hospital today, and had a talk and check op.
The AF is big and open again, and I need LIS op and another Fissurectomy.
I was so much in pain up there, that he could not make the full examination :(
I have not heard of anyone who got a Fissurectomy so close to each other, and I think that maybe he just told me to have both LIS op and Fissurectomt because he could not finish the examination.
The good news is that they have a team of 3 doctors and they have all 3 made this operation for more than 10 years and has a lot of experience :)
The bad news is, that the first available time they have for me, are 16/11.2012 almost 2 months from now :(
My first choice to get the LIS op done, is the NHS as i really like them, but I don’t think that I can wait another 2 months, so I have just talked to my health insurance company I have from work, and they will schedule a meeting on a private clinic next week. If I feel comfortable with their surgeon, I will have the operation there. It is the same clinic that did my first 2 times of botox, and it's a really nice place. It's almost the same standard as the place Davo went for his LIS op. Think that I will end up having the LIS here, but first I need to talk to their surgeon :)
I feel so tired today after the trip to the hospital, and I think that the brain are working so hard to understand it all. I think that I will have some dinner now, and then go erly to bed, and call it a day.
I hope you all are doing well and have not had too much pain today.
May you all have a nice day and take care of yourselves.
Kind regards
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Postby Neen » 19 Sep 2012, 10:28

Good luck...i hope you get better quickly. I had a fissurectomy/lis in April. Last week I had a Fissurotomy and skin tag removal. It really messes with our head, right? I dont understand why some people heal so easily and others don't. I know I am tired of living my life based on my rear end, aren't you? I will be thinking of you and hoping and praying for you to get fixed up for good!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Danish_AF » 19 Sep 2012, 23:11

Neen wrote:Good luck...i hope you get better quickly. I had a fissurectomy/lis in April. Last week I had a Fissurotomy and skin tag removal. It really messes with our head, right? I dont understand why some people heal so easily and others don't. I know I am tired of living my life based on my rear end, aren't you? I will be thinking of you and hoping and praying for you to get fixed up for good!

Hi Neen,
Thank you :)
I hope you'll be fine soon, and you will not be in too much pain, after your second Fissurectomy/skin tag removal Image
I know what you mean when you say that it is messing with your head, the longer I have come in my AF adventure, the more I lose track because I spend so much time thinking on such a small place in my butt :(
I really hope that a LIS will make the difference for me, so I can get my life back.
Have a good day everyone, and I hope it will be as painless as possible :)
Kind regards
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Good news

Postby Danish_AF » 21 Sep 2012, 08:33

Hi All,
Just got a mail from my health insurance company, and they have setup at meeting on the first coming Wednesday wheeee Image
The meeting is at the same private hospital who gave me botox the first two times. They are really good at what they do, so I'm already pretty sure that I will have my LIS here, but I will not make my decision before I had a meeting with CRS on Wednesday, and feel comfortable with him, and heard what he has to say about and my AF that he have not seen in 6 months.
I think this week has been hard to get through, as there have been busy at work, but on the other hand, time pas quickly when you are busy, and before I know it, it's Wednesday and I'm on the hospital to the my pre op schedule.
I wish you all a pleasant and painless weekend Image
Kind regards
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Went to the private hospital for my meeting today

Postby Danish_AF » 26 Sep 2012, 04:32

Hi All,
Today I have been at the private hospital to my meeting.
Surgeon to perform my LIS op, is an elderly gentleman who made around 2000 of these operations, and already during the first 5 minutes I felt comfortable with him.
I have therefore decided to say no to LIS in the NHS, and take it on the private hospital instead. I was fortunate that he had some time available on Monday wheeeeeeee Image
I am very pleased, but of course I am also nervous. However, this board made me feel more ready than I have been at any other time, so thanks you all for help makeing this board what it is. If I had not had the opportunity to read here, I do not think that I would be ready for my LIS op yet, though I've had my AF in 22 months.
The surgeon to operate on me was also very interested in what kind of a board I continued to talk about, because he could hear that I had so much more insight into my problems than many of his other patients, he would begin to recommend all his patients to use this board, and he would even benefit from reading about our problems, as he believed that he could never get enough knowledge from people who had the problem them self.
It was a very good and enjoyable meeting I had with him, and I am looking forward to Monday so I can have the surgery done, and get on with my life on the other side of the LIS op Image
I think of you all, and thank all who have contributed to this board Image
Kind regards
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Postby Lauren12 » 26 Sep 2012, 17:02

All the best for your operation. Let us know how things go for you. I had the LIS 17 months ago, and it cured me after two years of pain.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist