My LIS Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: My LIS Diary

Postby powderblue » 13 Jul 2014, 18:22

How are you feeling now? Sorry to hear about your troubles.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Tight5 » 22 Jul 2014, 08:57

Overall, I'm doing well, thank you. I continue regular check-ins with my CRS and I've finished my course of Nitro from my GI doc. The past few weeks have been almost totally pain-free. I still get the slightest feeling after a BM that there's something happening down there but it doesn't rise to anything I'd call pain. More like a very mild itch/burn and not every day.

At my last check up with the CRS (two weeks ago) he said it looked like the fissure was still slowly shrinking...he actually said, "where is it?" when he first looked. He did another silver nitrate application and I go back again tomorrow. I'll update after the appointment.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby powderblue » 22 Jul 2014, 09:09

Good luck! I am glad to hear that you are doing much better!!!
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby sotiredofthis » 22 Jul 2014, 18:25

Praying your appointment goes well!! I go back again to my CRS tomorrow as well. Still having the same burning pain. Hoping she has some answers.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Tight5 » 24 Jul 2014, 11:30

sotiredofthis, I know you're frustrated with your progress but please hang in there and do what you have to to put this all behind you. I've been almost 5 months since LIS to get to where I am today, including days not too long ago where I wondered if this was going to be a lifelong condition. Don't give up and keep moving forward.

I saw my CRS yesterday...and, if progress continues as it has the past few weeks, that will be my final visit. He said there was no sign of any granulation tissue that had previously been hampering the healing and that there was clearly skin now growing over the fissure. We both agreed that we were tired of seeing each other and that, barring a setback, I am on my own. Like I said, there's still that slightest bit of sensation following a BM that will keep me vigilant in my water/fiber/MiraLax. I don't have a specific timeline in mind but the hope is to ditch the MiraLax at some point (although my CRS did say at a recent appointment that most people who don't stick with a diet heavy with fruits & veggies could probably use a little MiraLax as part of their routine).

I'm not totally checking out but this seems like a good time to thank all of you for both being here and all the information and support you offer. It was comforting to find folks who were/are going through the same suffering that I was and to realize that there's a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

The one bit of advice I'll offer is for anyone reading this who might be in the early stages of a fissure...or any pain in that region: Don't mess around with hoping it will just go away. I wasn't even familiar with fissures when my pain started and I went through a couple weeks of ignoring it in hopes that it would go away. Then I thought it might be hemorrhoids and did some home treatments for that. By the time that didn't work and I called my doctor it was likely already chronic and not as receptive to non-surgical treatments. I always wonder if I'd contacted my doctor at the outset of pain if we might have been able to heal the fissure without surgery. Now I know...if your butt hurts when you poop, get it checked out right away. It's not supposed to be painful.

I'll check in again with an update somewhere down the road.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby Rachael 1984 » 27 Jul 2014, 06:23

Hi Tight 5,
Thanks for the update.... Great to hear you are doing well. I have LIS in 6 weeks time, so it's good to hear another success story. It sounds like you've had a slower recovery than some, but everyone is different and some need more time. Thankyou, you've given me hope. Xxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Alyssa » 18 Sep 2014, 15:48

Tight5,

Do you have any update on how you're doing today post lis?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Tight5 » 18 Sep 2014, 15:59

Alyssa, funny you should ask as I had just checked in on this board today for the first time since my last post. I'm doing well but still don't think I'm fully healed.

Since my last visit to my CRS I've had two flare ups where I've had some mild pain during BMs and discomfort following. The first was 2 weeks after my last appointment and the second was a few weeks after that. In each case the flare up only lasted about 2 days. I'm not sure what to make of it all as I feel quite normal outside of those episodes.

I continue with a half dose of Miralax every night to keep things soft. I don't plan on going back to the doctor if things stay as they are now. I'm hoping my slow motion recovery will continue and the flare ups will eventually go away.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby Alyssa » 18 Sep 2014, 20:31

Tight5,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not fully healed but at least you have some "normal" days.. Can you tell me what your normal days feel like? Do you have any sitting pain, irritation, prickly sensations?)
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Tight5 » 22 Sep 2014, 12:43

Alyssa, normal is pretty close to totally normal: No pain during a BM and no irritation/itching/pain following. Those probably account for about half my days. The rest of the days that don't involve the flare ups will have mostly just minor itching. I haven't had any sitting pain or anything resembling sharp, stinging pain since the surgery (other than the flare up days).

The worst parts of it right now are the anticipation of how the day's BM is going to go and the gassy discomfort that comes from a higher fiber diet and the Miralax.
Tight5
Salt Bather