My LIS Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

My LIS Diary

Postby Tight5 » 28 Feb 2014, 17:20

I had my LIS this morning. Bottom line at the moment is everything has been great. I had several very good, close to pain-free, days leading up to the surgery (after a year of suffering with my fissure), but it was clear it was not healed. The doc, after the procedure, told my wife that it was still open and that the surgery went well. I have had zero pain today except for the slightest bit of an ache in the area in just the past hour (I've been awake from the anesthesia for about 6 hours now).

They didn't do, and never told me to do, an enema as I have read others have done. Given my reliable regularity, I'm assuming I'll have a movement at some point tomorrow. I'm guessing that's when this gets a little more serious.

As I've seen a lot of others report, I don't seem to be able to hold the gas in right now. It's not really sneaking up on me but it releases when it pleases.

Fingers crossed for a good night's sleep (nerves over all this have not been good for my sleep schedule the last week or so) and a tolerable BM tomorrow. I'll report back after that.

-- Todd
Tight5
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: My LIS Diary

Postby vdb324 » 28 Feb 2014, 17:41

Thanks for your report, Todd. I am going in next week for my LIS, so I look forward to hearing how yours goes.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby leanne27 » 28 Feb 2014, 17:49

Hope it all continues well, it must be a relief to move forward.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Still hoping » 28 Feb 2014, 19:38

I hope everything goes well with your recovery Todd. I can relate to having pain free days but still having the fissure. I hope this finally heals up for you. Keep us posted!
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Tight5 » 02 Mar 2014, 10:10

Day 1 ended with some increased pain from the surgery. I ended up taking one pain pill to get a few hours sleep.

Day 2 (Saturday) started with a little bit of pain that subsided after I was up for a couple of hours. The rest of the day was close to pain-free. I spent most of the day waiting for that first BM...which never really came. In the evening I thought it was time and assumed the position. I could feel it was right there but didn't want to strain to push it out. A small amount made its way out then any sense of propulsion went away. But that little bit was painless. I'll take that as an early win. Cleaned up, some time in the tub ad off to bed a little later with no pain worth medicating...although I have taken Aleve due to a headache that persisted all day.

I woke up today and almost immediately got to work on the first proper movement...it felt like a rock sitting in my lower gut at that point. Again, the propulsion seemed very weak but I managed to evacuate partially. It went very slow and I can tell there's more to come. I'm a little surprised as I've been taking mineral oil (dr. suggested), a little Miralax and a good bit of fiber (I haven't eaten a whole lot, though). But that rock-in-the-gut feeling is gone and there was very little pain. I have to admit, I was terrified of how that first one was going to go. I soaked in the tub a bit then showered up. There's been a bit of dull, bruise-type pain and the occasional mild stab of sharp pain but after about 2 hours even that's starting to feel better.

I can't say I felt anything resembling the pain from the fissure. I'm hoping that remains the case. More as it happens...
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby Tight5 » 02 Mar 2014, 15:33

I was just reading some other posts and had an interesting connecting-the-dots moment. Over several years before my fissure I would occasionally (1-2 times a year) have this very odd pain/sensation around my anus. It sort of felt like cramping. Sort of felt like pressure. Hard to describe. It could be pretty strong and when it happened at night there was no chance of sleeping. I recall sometimes it could last a couple of hours and sometimes just a few minutes. I actually had one just a few nights ago...right before the surgery...that only lasted a couple of minutes. I'm thinking now they were the spasms that cause so much difficulty for fissure sufferers. Although the incident a few nights ago didn't seem to have any affect on the fissure.

Has anyone else experienced that non-fissure spasm and is it possibly related at all the fissure as far as being a contributing factor? Now I'm curious.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby Tight5 » 03 Mar 2014, 10:45

Day 4: Went to bed last night with some moderate stinging pain at the incision site. I was a little restless through the night but was basically able to sleep through it. Woke up this morning with the need to go. The stool today was much like what I've usually had for the past few months...mostly soft but very substantial. And it all comes at once. It passed with very little pain but things got very uncomfortable almost immediately. But instead of the usual fissure-type pain this is more like the whole area has been abused with some bit of stabbing pain at the incision site. I'm assuming this is to be expected with a somewhat large stool? It's been close to 3 hours and the pain has subsided at good deal. It looks like there has been a bit more discharge into the pad in my shorts but it didn't strike me as excessive.

Does this all sound like part of the routine to those who have gone through this before?
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby Tight5 » 05 Mar 2014, 12:35

Update on Day 4: Another round of evacuation presented itself in the evening. It was a much easier experience...smaller, softer stool with only mild discomfort for a short period afterward.

Day 5 (Tuesday): After the evening BM there was no action on that front for Tuesday. I felt really good with very little discomfort at all...just the occasional bit of pinching/stinging that never became a problem.

Day 6: Woke up today needing to evacuate immediately. Did so without any trouble but some pain and discomfort set in shortly thereafter. The stool this morning was formed but seemed relatively soft. I did a soak in the tub and the pain subsided to a minimal level. About an hour later it was almost totally gone except for a bit of the usual pinching/stinging/itching feeling. Compared to Monday's aftermath, today's pain subsided much quicker and was not as severe. Again, I'm counting that as a win!

I just returned from a walk around the block...been getting a little stir crazy. Diet-wise: I've been steady with oatmeal and Fiber One cereal (today) in the mornings. I added a little coffee back yesterday after a couple days of caffeine withdrawal headaches. Through the day has been a steady stream of fruit, hummus, the occasional flour tortilla, a couple small frozen chicken fingers yesterday, fig newtons. Dinners have been a lot of the same with some small bits of what the rest of the family has had...some chicken chili that was more like a soup (not spicy at all), a bit of pasta. Last night I made veggie tacos w/ black beans along with a little spaghetti squash (wife made that...not my favorite). I'm starting to crave something resembling MEAT! I think I'll head to the store and look for some fish to grill tonight.

Through this all I've lost close to 10 pounds...which is really irritating my wife and sister with whom I've been on a bit of weight loss challenge. We've all struggled so far but I've jumped into a nice lead with this little adventure. The challenge will obviously be keeping it off as I feel better and undoubtedly slip back into old eating habits...well, some of them...my hope/plan is to make some necessary changes. FWIW, I'm a fairly big guy who started all this at about 250 pounds. 210-215 would probably look good on me so there's no immediate fear of me wasting away.

All-in-all, to this point I can't complain about my progress. My plan at the moment is to hopefully have the post-BM discomfort to a level where I can return to the office on Monday. We'll see...
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby leanne27 » 05 Mar 2014, 15:03

this is great! You're doing so well. nice to see.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Tight5 » 07 Mar 2014, 11:24

Day 8: One week down. I was a little surprised earlier in the week to talk with the doctor's office and have them tell me he didn't want to do the first post-op visit until 3 weeks out. I thought for sure he'd want to check things out sooner. So be it. I really don't feel any need to be checked out at this point.

That pink discharge that seems to be common with this procedure picked up a little bit Wednesday afternoon and continues still. It's noticeable but not enough that I'm concerned. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that I took that walk on Wed. and that the stitches appear to have dissolved...I picked up what looked like two knots and a small piece of connecting thread in my clean-up that same day. Does 5 days for the stitches sound right? I don't think the doc ever mentioned how long they would last.

This morning I really felt like I could have handled the day's evacuation and aftermath while at work...which has been my gauge for how I'm progressing (the plan is still to return to work on Monday). Everything cleared with very little discomfort followed by only mild-to-moderate bruise-type pain in the area for 30 minutes or so.

The cabin fever is getting bad so it's probably time to start getting out more. Maybe out for dinner with the fam tonight. Then tomorrow I plan on being there to coach my son's first little league game of the season...I've left the other coach on his own for the past week of practices. Fortunately we have some great, helpful parents who help out. No running or yelling for me but I'll be there.

Thanks for your encouragement, Leanne. I had not talked about my condition with anyone outside of my wife, mom and one friend (the other baseball coach) until after the surgery. It's been good to have a place to share a little with people who understand what's going on. Although I have to note that the couple of friends I've told since the surgery have been familiar with the condition and have reacted much less like the perpetual teenagers that we usually pretend to be. One long-time buddy even said that his wife had LIS while they were dating in college (we were all friends by that point).

More as it happens...
Tight5
Salt Bather