My story so far

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: My story so far

Postby val » 01 Jul 2011, 09:51

Aww, Dexter, that's awful, how shocking for you. Glad you're feeling better now, and all your tests came back fine.
Wow, never heard of that happening before. Hope it was just a minor hiccup and things are better tomorrow.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby dexterdude » 01 Jul 2011, 13:58

Had a look at the area and remember that thing which looked like a thrombosed hemorrhoid where that small fissure appeared during the OP? It looks like it's almost gone now. Can it be that maybe it burst by itself and that's where all the blood was from?
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 Jul 2011, 14:28

Oh no, dexterdude! What a day! That must have been horrifying :(
the surgeon's explanation makes sense to me, but I think a burst hemmie is possible too. I have heard of that happening. It should heal up pretty quick, though. Are you still taking warm baths? Wow - I'm so sorry you had such a lousy day. I hope you're feeling better now and I really hope you don't wake up to anything alarming tomorrow.
Deleted User 579

Postby dexterdude » 02 Jul 2011, 01:16

Today morning was uneventful. Didn't take the pain pill, less pain than yesterday, certainly less than pre-op, went away in 5 minutes. If this keeps up I'd say I'm well on the road to healing. I'm not taking baths, just showering the area 5x5minutes daily.
Thanks for the support!
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 02 Jul 2011, 09:39

I had a thrombosed hemmie explode - that's how my first fissure was born! There was an awful amount of blood in the toilet, so much I nearly passed out looking at it!
Great you had a good day, hope you are indeed on the road to healing.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby dexterdude » 04 Jul 2011, 12:12

Back with some news: past days were uneventful, some very minor bleeding here and there. One thing I noticed though: I stopped taking painkillers and now the pain throughout the day is pretty much like before the OP. Meaning it picks up maybe half an hour after the BM and stays nagging until the afternoon (i would say a 2-3 on a scale of 10).
Taking a painkiller makes it go away completely. Maybe it was there also the first weeks, when I reported no pain, but it was actually the morning painkiller at work? I will try tomorrow morning to take again a painkiller and see what it does for me during the day.
All in all a bit confused, hopefully the AF is healing, cause the outside wound sure looks like it does.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 Jul 2011, 12:52

Hey Dexterdude - I'm sorry the pain hasn't gone away completely! I think it is possible that the pain-free days were thanks to the painkillers. That's certainly true in my case. I recently stopped the percocets and then got a bit depressed because I had more pain than before and thought I was getting worse! I'm still glad I took them, though, because things would have been too painful otherwise. This healing process is really up and down. Do you have a follow-up appointment booked soon?
I hope you're doing better today!
Deleted User 579

Postby dexterdude » 05 Jul 2011, 10:58

Took the pain pill this morning and guess what...pain-free day. Also, as opposed to yesterday when I didn't take it, the muscle seemed more relaxed.
The big question now is should i take it every day and just hope that when I run out of pills the pain will also be gone? Seems like the right thing to do but I don't know, how can I tell the fissure is healing?...
From the leakage point of view now it's turned into a dark yellow-brown color and it's more sticky (sorry for the graphic image).
Also, the thrombosed hemmorrhoid on my right side (opposite the fissure) looks like it's still there. Well, at least there's a bluish pea-sized bump, I'm thinking it qualifies. It's not painful really, maybe a bit during BMs, but otherwise not. I just hate it cause i didn't have it before :(
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 05 Jul 2011, 12:22

Hey Dexterdude - I'm glad you had a pain-free day! The painkiller question has had me wondering too. I decided to switch to extra-strength Robaxacet because it kills pain and it's a muscle relaxant, so it really helps with the spasms (I took it before the LIS and after both surgeries). I find it helps wean me off the percocets. I have also used Robaxacet with ibuprofen, but I try not to do that too much.
I'm also getting some gunky discharge. It's whitish-yellow and kinda sticky (there - how's that for graphic?!). I'm seeing my CRS on Friday, but it's good to know what the docs told you. That makes me less anxious so thanks for sharing that :) I hope you're doing well today.
Deleted User 579

Postby adam » 05 Jul 2011, 16:00

Hey dexter, judging by your posts, you definitely seem like you're on the right path to recovery. Good to see.
I have a question for you though if you don't mind. Today I had a fistula surgery, and nearing the end of the surgery, i heard loud sounds of air shots. Like "PHOOM!..PHOOM!". Do you or anyone know what that could've been? Maybe botox?
Also i see you take pain meds. Do you also use a stool softener or are you all natural like me? I'm wondering because i may need pain meds after my bm tomorrow and can't take them if they'll constipate me.
Thanks
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8