My story so far

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: My story so far

Postby val » 24 Jun 2011, 14:57

It felt kind of sharp and prickly - and itching again, which is sometimes worse than pain. I don't think it radiated, although it did feel sore all the way inside.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby dexterdude » 25 Jun 2011, 00:08

Thanks for the reassurances. Pain this morning was a bit less than yesterday and also a bit different: the constant pain was less than yesterday, but for about 10 minutes I had "flashes" of the "real" pain at the cut site every 30 seconds or so. They were nasty, but at least it wasn't constantly like that.
Used the pill, now it's down to a dull constant pain which I hope will go away soon. Also no blood, which is a freaking miracle after yesterday's bloody episode.
Baby steps...baby steps...
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 579 » 25 Jun 2011, 13:38

I'm so glad the pain is diminishing today :D
It is really weird when there's blood one day and none the next! But I think it's a very good sign that the pain is changing and settling down.
I hope you're still having a good, less painful day!
Deleted User 579

Postby dexterdude » 26 Jun 2011, 05:54

Reporting in at 6 days post-op. Pain seems to be a little better than yesterday. No blood.
However, the discharge is the same, which is REALLY annoying. It will stain heavily any underwear, so basically if it doesn't stop soon I have to clue how I could go to work like this.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby adam » 26 Jun 2011, 08:05

This is a 5 star post thanks everyone. That yellow film, I also have around my hemmy/skin tag, I would think it's a healing property or just a dishcarge of what's going on inside but I don't know for sure, but I do get it as well.
Dexterdude, how do you feel now? Are you able to walk comfortably (at least slowly)? What is sitting like? And an idea for your leakage discharge that stains: you could maybe put a couple napkins or kleenexes there, and replace them every few hours or so, or if you have to replace them too often, there are diapers for older people which would stop anything from staining for sure! I don't know if it makes noise though as you sit or walk which may be embarrassing.
It seems like your spirits are high dexterdude so keep up the good work!
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Jun 2011, 08:41

Hey Dexterdude! I'm so glad the pain has gone down so much. That's wonderful!
The discharge sounds pretty annoying. Have you thought about trying pantyliners? I understand that men wouldn't be very excited about using such a product (women aren't really either!), but they do work, and they are more comfortable than kleenex and more comfortable and discrete than diapers. I gave Alpha a number of links to differnt kinds of products women use for every kind of 'flow'. I'm happy to find the link again for you. Sorry if this suggestion makes you uncomfortable! :)
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2011, 08:45

Agreeing with Hope on the panty liners. A few of the men used these after surgery.

Postby dexterdude » 26 Jun 2011, 11:10

adam: well yea, i can walk quite comfortably, sit down everything. There is some discomfort, like something's "there", but i can't call it pain. Maybe I'm just too self-conscious still and I try to take it really easy.
About pantyliners well, thanks for the idea, I had thought about it, but to be honest it does make me a little uncomfortable, more from an irritation point of view than anything else. That is, I never quite understood how it's possible that they don't "rub" against the skin/wound, so I'm afraid they'd do more bad than good.
I am expecting a call from my doc the next week with the histology result and I'm going to ask him also about the discharge. Last time he told me it should go away in a few days, but this was 4 days ago and can't see any change so far. I do have one more week off-work, hopefully it will go down by then, if not I really have to think hard about those pantyliners :)
By the way, as a result of the fissure I haven't worn any underpants for the last year or so (or only sometimes the boxer kind which were looser), because of the pain. I had a walk today with a tight fitting pair and behold...no pain. That sure feels great. Although, to be honest, I'm still having difficulties mentally grasping a life without this constant pain, worrying, thinking about it. It's been too long and I guess it will take me a long while to stop, if ever. Of course, I'm not out of the woods yet, but I was just thinking if I will ever go back to the way I was before and just be totally oblivious of these issues...
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2011, 22:05

Dexter,
I had discharge for awhile after my lis too. To be honest I'm not sure how long. It kind of worried me but the CRS told me it was normal. It even smelled kind of yucky and I worried about an infection, but everything kind of fell into place and cleared up. I did have a skin tag removed so that could have been some of the reason for the discharge. I never put guaze there or a panty liner. I just let it air. Rinsed a lot during the day....
I totally understand what you mean about grasping life without constant pain. The mental part with having a fissure is what blows my mind. I'm eight months post-op and still feel like I will never look at life the same since this happened. I'm happy with the results of my LIS and the way I feel physically now, but it's almost like I have post traumatic stress from this whole ordeal...

Postby SummerGal » 27 Jun 2011, 09:41

Hope you keep doing well Dexter! It was helpful to read your posts.
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1