My story so far

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: My story so far

Postby dexterdude » 28 Jun 2011, 10:24

Pain was about the same today, but seemed to go away even quicker than yesterday (minutes). No blood when having the BM, but now later in the afternoon there is again the discharge and it looks redder than usual, very much like blood. I've no clue why that might be, there is almost no pain to speak of, and no bm passing, yet there is blood oozing out just like that. :(
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby val » 28 Jun 2011, 10:42

could you have your GP check it Dexter? It's probably perfectly normal, but maybe better to err on the side of caution?
Grr, these things really are a trial. Image You think things are healing then get hit with something else! Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Jun 2011, 14:11

Hey Dexterdude! I'm so glad the pain is diminishing so much! That's great news. I wish I had something intelligent to say about the discharge. But I didn't have that much. It's only been a week since your surgery, though, hasn't it? That's still pretty early. Even so, it's probably not a bad idea to bring it up with your GP and/or CRS. Maybe they should know about the volume of discharge as well as the colour.
I agree with Val - it's probably quite normal, but IMO it's better to be safe. When is your follow-up?
I really hope it clears up soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby SummerGal » 28 Jun 2011, 19:03

When people are in pain after surgery, is it mainly after a BM or all the time? I noticed Dexter you said it went away quickly now, so do you mean after you take pain meds or after a BM? I hope your concern about the discharge turns out to be nothing serious. I know that must be unsettling for you, especially now that you feel you are coming along nicely. Good luck!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Pavel96 » 28 Jun 2011, 20:11

The pain you describe is exactly what I have doesn't hurt when having a BM but shortly after for about 15 minutes some really intense pain. I also did not have much blood the first few days but now seem to have more. When I got home the day of the surgery I picked up a box of kotex to put in my undies, it seemed to work. Anyhow, I had my surgery last Wed 6-22 so it sounds like it really is baby steps for recovery. Also, its amazing how much power the 'Dragon' can have over ones life, if someone would have told me Dec 2010 I was going to have surgery next year and be buying woman's kotex for myself I would not have believed them :-(
Pavel96
Fibre Addict

Postby dexterdude » 29 Jun 2011, 00:52

Yep, it's been a week and two days since the surgery and I'm actually expecting a call from the doc today. The actual face-to-face follow-up will be in 5 weeks from now, unless something bad happens in which case he told me he can see me anytime.
The pain was even better today, it was more like an intense itch than pain. The pattern is like so: get up in the morning, take a painkiller right away. Then in a few minutes I have to go to the bathroom (body seems to be "trained" for this so I go every morning every day). During BM there is no pain to speak of, it's immediately after (and I mean seconds after) that it hits. I the proceed to take a shower of only that area for 5 minutes (this I do 5x daily), using just water, no soap.
Immediately after the surgery the pain was bad and even with the painkiller would last for 10-15 min. Today it was more a itch than pain and after my 5 min shower I could hardly feel anything at all (which is amazing compared to the first days, when I could hardly walk).
So I would say it's getting better, but:
1. I'm still taking the painkiller 1x daily and will probably take it for at least one week (why be in pain eh?)
2. There is still the discharge which is annoying
3. I'm still waiting for the histology of removed tissue. Doc said he's pretty sure it's nothing, it was just much hardened tissue because I had this almost all my life, but you never know...
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby dexterdude » 29 Jun 2011, 05:47

Ok, some good news: doc called me and let me know the tissue sample tested negative for both cancer and chron's or some other such diseases. So he told me now we just have to wait for healing.
Also, the discharge, he says, will be there as long as the wound is not healed. He also suggested panty liners *blush*. I'll let you know how that one goes :)
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby SummerGal » 29 Jun 2011, 08:46

That is good news Dexter! I am glad to hear that your tissue test came back negative! So you really aren't in pain much except right after a BM? Have you been out and about or still staying home? I hope you stay on this strong path to recovery!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby val » 29 Jun 2011, 12:17

That's great news Dexter! Image Image That's one worry less for you!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby dexterdude » 29 Jun 2011, 13:05

Yea, I was going for short walks even two days after surgery. Now I could pretty much walk around all day, but I still try to take it easy and not force the issue. So I still take some walks around, but not that long, maybe 15-20 mins or so.
There's also an improvement to be felt when sitting down, or turning and just sitting on that area, or coughing/sneezing: last week all these caused some pain/discomfort, now that's all gone.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist