my success story

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

my success story

Postby genius » 27 Sep 2011, 22:33

After suffering from fissures for almost 6 months, I was desperate for a cure. I was seriously considering surgery but was able to avoid that with the help of multiple things. I will list them here:
1. If you have the urge to go, don't stop it - just GO
2. Sitz baths really helped in pain relief. Atleast twice a day is a must (more if possible)
3. Keep the rectum area well lubricated all the time. I tried multiple things but what helped me most was Ghee(Rarified butter). This is a very common product in Indian cuisine. I ate one tablespoon of ghee (sometimes more) everyday and also applied it externally two-three times a day. Also make sure to apply it before a bowel motion. Trust me, it works like a miracle on the pain.
4. Incorporated more fiber in the diet. I like Fiber One original cereal (1 serving has 57% of daily fiber requirement). Some foods I swear by are: cabbage, brocolli, sweet potato, apples, pears, papaya and mango.
5. I took botox injections in the rectal area. This is not very known in the US but is apparantly quite common in Australia. They help relax the rectal muscles and restore blood flow to the region which helps in healing of fissures. Ask your doctor about it. It took me about 2 weeks before I started noticing a reduction in pain.
6. I also take vitamin D supplements. Avoid acidic foods. Eat well and enough so that it is easier to have a bowel motion. Sleep is a great healer.
All the Best! Have faith - this is not a severe condition but yes, the pain is severe. It does get better, it does heal!
genius

Topics: 1

Re: my success story

Postby Em » 27 Sep 2011, 22:56

Hi Genius - I'm in Australia. I saw a thing the other day about ghee and turmeric paste. Turmeric is a fabulous healer for my tummy when it gets sore. It also works wonders for my husband's sore feet...
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Sep 2011, 07:23

hi there, for me, i took 5 months to finally found a routine that has helped the fissure to "calm down" (not entirely healed yet as the CRS said, but he said i have tremendous improvement) and currently i don't feel the pain of the fissure, but i do have piles pain occassionally.
I have found that topical ointments and internal supplements are of utmost importance. It has to work in both ways.
- healthy fiber diet. I have tried loading of fiber before and ended up having bulky stools that re-tear my fissure! So you have to try moderate ur fiber intake. Take plenty of water to hydrate and to soften.
- sitz bath after every bms. This ensures that the anus relaxes and thus lessen ur anal spasms and pain. This helps the fissures to heal
- apply aloe vera after every sitz baths. Aloe Vera is a wonder product. It has anti-inflammatory, soothing and healing properties. I tried vit e oil but it makes me feel very itchy at times. Apply aloe vera with a cotton bud/q-tip and gentle insert into your anus. It's easier to apply when you lie on your side. Apply as much as 3 times per day/after every BM.
- apply GTN (on the edge of anus) if you can. I thank God that i do not have headaches as side effects for GTN. BUT the thing is that GTN can only help u relax ur anal muscles to promote blood flow, it doesn't heal the cut. Aloe vera can, but u GOT TO PERSEVERE with it. My CRS actually V IMPRESSED that i used aloe vera to heal (almost) myself.
- Take prune juice daily instead of laxatives or softeners if you can. DO NOT drink too much prune juice at one go, it can cause explosive diarrhea! Start with half a cup a day and then adjust until you reached your desired consistency of stools.
- take vit c 1000mg every day, with 500mg in the morning, 500mg in the evening. Vit C is VERY IMPORTANT as it helps to HEAL wounds. Your body needs it daily as it's water soluble vitamins and is not stored in the body. I
- take magnesium 400mg and above according to ur requirements. This helps me to relax my spasms as i'm healing and keeps constipation at bay. AND it softens stools too as magnesium attracts water in the gut. Magnesium oxide is not that readily absorbed, magnesium citrate is better. BUT because i didn't know this before i bought, so magnesium oxide still does work for me.
- cultivating good bowel habits (do read up on my other thread by this name)
I know vit E can help too, but i try to take vit E from foods than supplements. If you can, take multi-vit would be good enough, but i do recommend that when your fissure is healing, to up your vit c level to at least 1000mg per day. You may decrease your dosage to 500mg per day when you feel that fissure has healed. Remember your body CAN SELF HEAL itself, BUT you must first ensure there's sufficient vitamins and minerals in your body to allow self-healing to take place.
Hope all these can help someone who's suffering like we all had.
Last edited by dwarfs8 on 15 Nov 2011, 07:34, edited 3 times in total.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Ardp » 03 Oct 2011, 19:56

Thank you this was very helpful ...^^
Ardp
Fibre Addict

Postby dwarfs8 » 03 Oct 2011, 19:58

ardp, glad it's helpful for u. Do post questions if u have any.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby Ardp » 06 Oct 2011, 11:32

Thanks i do have a Q. How to take hot bathes when you have your period? ... is using shower wand good enough?
Ardp
Fibre Addict

Postby dwarfs8 » 06 Oct 2011, 18:08

I believe I have tried this before. Not to worry, the water pressure will stop the flow. Anyway if u do see red, just change the water. I rather relieve myself of pain than worry abt messier. Image
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby Toby727 » 06 Oct 2011, 18:37

I had this problem also and dwarfs8 is right. The water pressure will stop the flow. Its worth is to relieve the pain. :)
Toby727
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby dwarfs8 » 18 Oct 2011, 18:42

Thot I bumped this up for those new sufferers on board. Pls do post question if u have. I'll try to help
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby Savaici » 13 Nov 2011, 06:32

Very good information here, from dwarfs8.
I am going to get some Aloa Vera and try that too. Also, I overdid it on fibre and discovered that I just needed the right amount for the amount of food that I am eating, which is not that much. So, I don't overdo it.
Also, water to keep yourself hydrated and keep the stools soft.
And last but most definitely not least - after me putting it off for so long - the SITZ BATH!!! It is truly a wonderful invention for us with fissures!!
Thanks again dwarfs8
Image Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222