New - 4 and half years so far

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New - 4 and half years so far

Postby Hopeful lad » 24 Feb 2011, 15:50

Hi
This is the first forum I've ever posted on so please excuse any errors.
I'm in the UK, late 50s and had a fissure on and off for 4 and half years.
I started with a fissure, developed something called 'anismus' where you can't go at all.
At one point I was trying 17 times in one morning.
Ended up having some tests by CRS and then over a period of months having 3 lots of botox into external sphincter which 'cured' me for a while.
Then got another fissure, used GTN cream (Rectogesic in UK), Diltiazem (Anoheal in UK),
and have continued like this for several years.
Finally had injection of botox (lower dose) into internal sphincter about 8 weeks ago, but unfortunately things got worse not better.
I have lots of experience trying all sorts of things which I'm happy to share.
The worst problem is I'm now beginning to get serious depression over this - I suppose spending about 2000 to 2,500 hours researching this on the net over the years may not have helped!
Keeping this as short as possible.
By the way this is a great forum.
Best wishes to all.
Ralph
Hopeful lad
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: New - 4 and half years so far

Postby StevePain » 24 Feb 2011, 16:07

Hi Ralph and welcome to the board!
I hadn't heard of anismus before but just googled it:
(for anyone that doesn't know)
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/anismus
Ralph, you say you've had Botox and it's only made things worse, after 4 + years suffering I would try LIS as a more permanent solution.
Are you on a diet of some kind, if not you need to be, more fibre is a good start and plenty of water to get things moving and also a good stool softener to help you go easier, I'm not sure if the anismus will still prevent you from going if the stool is quite soft but it's worth a try.
Most of us have suffered (and still do) with depression over this awful condition and it's a catch 22 situation, the more you get down and depressed the more your fissure acts up and so on, it's no wonder you're depressed after 4 years with this, don't give up hope.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Hopeful lad » 24 Feb 2011, 16:41

Thanks so much for your support Steve.
My diet for the last few years has excluded meat (occasional chicken), mainly fish, vegetables,and lots of fruit too. I drink 3 or 4 litres of water a day (1 litre over night! - well half at least - bottle in bed with me!).
At one point I was taking 2 or 3 capsules of Magnesium (370mg each) a day but that was too much for me.
My GP put me on Movicol which I find very good - 1 sachet per day,(plus I still take one Magnesium per day).
I usually drink some warmed/hot water during the day too.
I am booked to see a new CRS in March (though my current CRS is a top man) and I think I am heading for the LIS, but when you read all the stories on the net of people's experiences you worry a lot about incontinence and fissure reoccurence - or - heaven forbid - both.
Unfortunately I have suffered from depression a couple of times many years ago and needed treatment so I have to try to be positive despite that.
I have tried so many things from Anuice applicators to Wheatgrass cream, to pelvic floor exercisers etc and read so many clinical trials that I feel I may be able to help other people who don't have such a 'chronic' fissure as me or probably such a 'tight' internal sphincter.
I read many of your posts Steve before joining the forum and they were very helpful - thanks!
Ralph
Hopeful lad
Fibre Addict

Postby StevePain » 24 Feb 2011, 16:54

It sounds like you're already on a good diet etc, it's because the fissure is chronic that it is difficult to heal, mine was chronic after 2 years and I had tried everything I could and eventually (as you've probably read) I had LIS in August 2010, my sphincter was way too tight so the LIS has definitely helped me in that respect but as for healing the chronic fissure I still have a way to go.
By the sounds of it, you could really benefit from having the LIS procedure, it's the best chance you've got.
Anuice... I tried that back in 2008 after I had my hemmies banded, boy was that a shocker!! Image I always remember making room for it in the freezer drawer among the frozen veg Image but when all said and done it looks like a kind of frozen dildo, needless to say I only used it once or twice as it wasn't comfortable if you know what I mean!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Hopeful lad » 24 Feb 2011, 17:19

Yes Steve you're so right about the Anuice!
Although when I first used to use it, it seemed to work - I suspect because I had a new small fissure then. Now I believe I have a much deeper fissure with fibrotic edges
and Anuice only would tear it (and did!).
I say 'suspect' because my CRS says I have a 'recessive'
anus (! - perhaps he said recessed!) and he cant see the fissure. I shall probably have to have an examination under anaesthetic next followed by surgery.
Incidentally I used to use Wheatgrass cream as the lubricant for the Anuice applicator. I thought the Wheatgrass cream was quite good, but it no longer helps me.
I'm sorry that you fissure hasn't fully healed yet.
You probably have answered this before but are you still using Rectogesic?
I noticed in one clinical trial that using Rectogesic after botox injections causes a further and large reduction in
the internal sphincter resting pressure, which is why I am still using it.
I don't get much pain (touch wood!) with bowel movements, but I am in some pain or discomfort all day and usually night and cannot sit or drive for long.
Hopeful lad
Fibre Addict

Postby happyass » 24 Feb 2011, 18:44

big hugs 2 u ralph!
i am sure you will be helping others here on the board soon enough as you are a hopeful lad but will also become a helpful lad!
from what i have read, hopefully LIS will offer a positive therapeutic solution for you. it doesn't work overnight but it may work over time.
big hugs 2 u!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Hopeful lad » 24 Feb 2011, 19:42

Happy, thank you very much for your support and welcome which is a real morale booster to me.
There is so much knowledge and help and support available on this forum that it gives me new hope, and I will try to help others if I can.
All good wishes
Ralph
Hopeful lad
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2011, 22:23

Welcome to the forum, Ralph!
Sorry you have suffered so long. There is hope! I had Lis after suffering only 8 months and it has been the best decision I made with my fissure :)
Stay strong! There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Postby Hopeful lad » 25 Feb 2011, 09:08

Dawn
Thank you so much for your welcome and support, which is very helpful to me.
Your story inspires me to have hope.
Very best wishes
Ralph
Hopeful lad
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 25 Feb 2011, 13:18

Welcome, Ralph. You have certainly come to the right place and everyone here is incredibly supportive. It took me quite a few months of suffering and research before I found my way here. Don't give up hope. It will come right. In all my research I have not come across anyone who said that this cannot be beaten. I too have my days of depression and it is hard to buck myself up, but I just think of things in my life that are good. Ok I can't eat all the things that I used to and pooping is painful, etc., but I just keep telling myself that things will get better. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222