New AF 2+ Years After LIS

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New AF 2+ Years After LIS

Postby mmklinemm » 25 Feb 2017, 08:03

Hello, again! Well, 2 years and 4 months after surgery and I have another fissure. I've kept to my dairy-free, high fiber diet since surgery. The only change I made recently is not having my oat bran/ground flax breakfast every morning the last few weeks. Reducing that made everything a little looser, so I guess that's how I ended up back here.

I'll start Nifedipine/lidocaine ointment today. My CRS suggests botox if the Nifedipine doesn't heal me. He says he doesn't recommended a 2nd LIS, except as a last resort. I can't believe I'm going through this, again. I feel like I'd just gotten back to as normal a life as possible. I was finally running regularly and at my highest mileage, feeling good. Thankfully, this is a small one. The pain and spasms are not bad, more uncomfortable than excruciating like before. The worst part is the mental aspect. I'm right back to stessing over every bite and it's potential to hurt me. Thank God for this forum. I had kind of blocked out that period of my life. I'm thankful for this diary, since I don't have to retry things that didn't work last time.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Re: New AF 2+ Years After LIS

Postby Harper05 » 10 Mar 2017, 09:07

how long after your LIS did you start running again? I had mine 8 weeks ago, and I'm running a half marathon in 8 weeks. wondering if it will make it worse...
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 28

Postby mmklinemm » 10 Mar 2017, 16:09

I waited about 2 years. I've had a few doctors tell me it takes about that long for any wound to heal completely. I was terrified of retearing, so I waited. I switched to walking. I don't remember when I started back walking, but I was doing 5 miles, 5 times a week. I think that helped me get back to running pretty quickly. I've never been a half or full marathon runner, though. I'm happy with my 7-mile trail runs. You may be able to get right back to it since you've probably been training. I would just suggest you start slowly and listen to your body.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Harper05 » 12 Mar 2017, 14:55

Curious how long it took you to heal? Why Am I still sore? Gosh... after what I have been reading some people feel better so fast.
I am at 2 months post surgery. I am
Not seeing any light..
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mmklinemm » 12 Mar 2017, 16:27

I want to say that I felt completely healed in less that 6 months. I honestly can't remember. I reread my diary on here and saw I was back walking about 2 weeks post op. I kept thinking about coming back here and posting an update, but I didn't want to jinx anything. Now I'm worried that running somehow makes some of us more susceptible to fissures. I keep reading about people feeling like they're healing, trying to get back to running, then having setbacks. I had only worked back up to 7 miles in the last few weeks when this new fissure hit me. I'm pissed off and scared to try again. Trail running is one of the things my husband and I love to do together. I had to give up dairy during my first fissure and could not eat it anymore, now I've switched to vegan trying to heal this one. I really don't want to give up running, too! Sorry for the rant...

Have you been for your post op check up to see how you're healing/progressing?
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Harper05 » 12 Mar 2017, 16:56

oh man this isn't really giving me hope! I started training this week, I wonder if that is what is making It more sore.. but honestly the more I walk the more I feel better, so I don't know why running would make it worse. I wish my CRS would give me some sort of answer besides listen to your body. Is there facts that show running makes it worse? I don't want to really get into hard training, if its going to make it worse and I wont be able to run.
I know all about giving up things you enjoy doing, so I'm sorry.

I just went in for my two week follow up 2 weeks after the surgery. I have another appointment next month.
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Mar 2017, 17:05

Hi guys....I have never ever run...my knees have a tendency to dislocate, I still got a fissure I do lift weights and swim (breast stroke) as I don't want to lift too much whilst recovering I have started running...I'm about 15 weeks post LIS and I can honestly say the running has not made things worse in fact I think it does ease the muscles down there somewhat.
Obviously listen to your body but I can't see there being a link between fissures and running unless excess sweating make that area sensitive.
Really good luck in your recovery
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Harper05 » 12 Mar 2017, 17:12

Thanks for positive feedback! How are you feeling 15 weeks post surgery?
I also have to note I had a hemmorodectomy at the same time, may be contributing to the soreness.
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Mar 2017, 17:41

I have underlying issues of crohns and IBS I had a bad flare a week after my LIS so my recovery was set back a fair bit I didn't stop having spasms till week 5/6 but I'm doing so much better now and am happy I had the LIS
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Harper05 » 12 Mar 2017, 20:16

Glad you are glad you had it and that you are feeling better now!
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist