New here......Surgery this Wednesday 3-3-10

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: New here......Surgery this Wednesday 3-3-10

Postby Denster » 04 Mar 2010, 20:15

NG,
Thanks for asking. Not too bad so far, I don't want to get too optimistic and possibly get let down, so gonna take it one day at a time. Dr said I had a lot of scar tissue, and the fissure never would have healed without surgery. He done a fissurectomy with skin flap, and removed 2 skin tags. Pain now and since surgery has been comparable to pre-op pain. My Dr gave good post op instruction, including taking MiraLax to counter act narcotic pain meds. First BM was 24 hrs after surgery and pretty much pain free. I have been taking it easy and will continue to do so. I am keeping the area clean and applying cream as instructed.
Denster
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Denster » 04 Mar 2010, 20:21

BTW, I read some posts on here about pros and cons of using soap on the bum. Dr said soap on the bo-bo is a no-no. Thought I would pass that on.
Denster
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 05 Mar 2010, 02:25

Good to hear Denster, I've taken Percocet before when my fissure was full blown and it was no match for Miralax so you should be okay with the narcotics. I know what you mean about not letting yourself get too optimistic. I've only had my fissure for just under a year and already feel that way, I can't imagine what it's like after having them as long as you have. Hopefully it's the beginning of the end of the problems now :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 05 Mar 2010, 14:32

You had a lot done - you are doing great !!!!! KTW I just wish he did a LIS too : ( since that would speed-up your recovery and made it permanent - but who knows - maybe this all would make a trick for you : )))) !!!!
Just stay on those soaks and diet and Miralax religiously for at least a year !!!!!
Wishing you speedy and full recovery !!! : )))
PS: I hope more members will read your story about "scar" tissue. I try to warn people that having a fissure for long time makes it very hard to heal on it's own : (((
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby StevePain » 05 Mar 2010, 14:40

That's my main concern at the moment, I've had this fissure/pain for quite a long time now, and thinking there must be considerable scarring in there by now, because i've had periods of next to no pain followed by what I would call full blown pain again after a bad BM that has seemed to last for ever, so I reckon that I must of healed (partially) on several occasions only to re-tear again, it's a vicious cycle of healing and tearing, in my opinion anyway, the only real cure at this level seems to be LIS
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 06 Mar 2010, 03:02

Oh Steve - I hope it did not sound disheartening Image - it is just like that in general - but some people DO heal even after couple of years . We have a member hear (Happyass) that healed by himself after 2 years of suffering ! So - there are general rules and always exceptions too Image
But - if it comes to the LIS - take it from one who had TWO - it is NOTHING comparing to a life with a fissure. Would do it every year once LMAO - if I had to, just to bee out of that misery :( :( :( .
Sending you a healing thoughts Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby StevePain » 06 Mar 2010, 03:26

Thanks Fissy, I wouldn't hesitate about having LIS, infact that's what my CRS is proposing to do if I don't heal after 6 weeks on the Diltiazem, so i'll just have to wait and see, any surgery would be better than a life of fissure pain - agreed!
Image for the support
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 06 Mar 2010, 18:46

You are more than welcome Image Image Image
I am glad to hear that your CRS is "hands on" guy and has a very definitive plan for you - that is very important and very encouraging !!! : )))
Everything will be just fine at the end - you will see Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Denster » 13 Mar 2010, 19:05

Thought I would post an update. I have my check up on Tuesday 16 March. The pain is less than it was before surgery but I still have some sensitivity where the skin tags were removed. I still have some spasms after BM, called Dr. Thursday and he prescribed Flexerile(sp) which is a muscle relaxer and it seems to help. I still haven't went back to work. I will be so glad when I can be normal again. I'm normally a very strong individual, but this is wearing on me badly and I am starting to get really depressed. Its to the point where I don't want to be on meds, but I may have to ask for something. :(
Denster
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 13 Mar 2010, 21:26

Denster - you had so much done there and it has been only 10 days out if the surgery : (( ! LIS is not as much painful as it is tag-removal or fissurectomy !!! DO not expect that to be healed in 9 days : ((.
Are you taking long sitz-baths at least 4 times a day ? Do you keep the are dry and super clean ???
I used my own "compounded" cream on my butt to help it heal faster. I would wash the wound with a chamomile tea than mix even amount of Mebo cream, A+D cream, added E vit drops and some Vaseline and apply it after that. I also made sure my butt was really clean and used Q-tips with Balneol cream to clean it from even the smallest speck of "debris". There is a lot of discharge that is seeping out of those wounds and it is very important to keep it nice and clean. Most members who adhared to that regiment of cleanliness and baths and of course diet had much faster healing.
Vallium would help more with spasms - but if Flexaril is helping that is even better !
Hope you will start feeling much better very soon : ) !
Fissulyna
VIP