New here......Surgery this Wednesday 3-3-10

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

New here......Surgery this Wednesday 3-3-10

Postby Denster » 28 Feb 2010, 13:06

This is my first post, but I've been snooping around for about a month. :o I am glad there is a place to talk about our problem, and thanks to everyone here I have learned a lot about my butt!!!
I am 30 y.o. and have had small fissures since I was 15. Never bothered me a lot, I thought it was hemmys would doctor it a couple days and all would be good for a month or two. The first of January this year though, WOW!!!!
Started off like always, a little pain, a little blood, but got progressively worse. Went to GP on Friday the 10th and he said hemmys and gave me some meds, told me if I wasn't better by Monday he would refer me to a surgeon. I wasn't better, I was way worse, I have never hurt that bad in my life. Image
Went to General Surgeon, said I had a fissure but he couldn't exam me very well cause I was jumping off the table. Gave me some Diltizam, said use this first, then Botox, then surgery, those were my options.
I was on the Diltizam for about a week and a half, couldn't handle the pain anymore and called doctor. He got me set up for Botox within 3 days of my call. Procedure was Jan. 26th.
Botox helped dramatically with the spasams. I still hurt, some days worse than others. Went back to General Surgeon last Wed. for checkup. Again couldn't really examine me. But he said if I have had the fissure as long as I thought I had it, the Botox and meds would not help me, so he referred me to CRS.
Luckily, got app. with CRS on Friday Feb. 26th. Said I had couple skin tags or something, probably a fissure, and possibly a fistula, but he couldn't be certain, because I was too sensitive to examine. He set me up for surgery March 3rd and said he could go in and examine and repair at the same time. Said the thing he was not going to do was LIS, because I just recently had the Botox and it would be too risky for incontinence. So this is my story. I just wanted to introduce myself because I am sure I will have lots of questions soon. Thanks for your help in advance.
Denster
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: New here......Surgery this Wednesday 3-3-10

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 28 Feb 2010, 14:16

Hey Denster, welcome! Sounds like you're on the fast track there :) Do you know what they're going to do on the 3rd if it's not LIS? Just curious.
I had what I thought where hemorrhoids for years and years too. But it was always just some itching with minor bleeding. In May 2009 it became painful for the first time and the pain quickly hit intolerable heights. That's when I finally got it checked out and it was a fissure. Since then I've tried all the different ointments and gotten BOTOX. I thought I was healed for a few months but just recently some pain and bleeding returned. I'm currently trying to figure out if it's the fissure again or something else.
It sounds like you're being real proactive which is good. Hopefully you get it taken care of -- please keep us posted! There are other folks here who know a lot about LIS and surgical options and I'm sure they'll chime in soon.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 28 Feb 2010, 14:35

Hi Denster, you're in the right place for help and advice, like NG above says, you're definitely on the fast track, i'm wondering though, if they're not willing to do LIS then maybe they'll do Dilation and fistulotomy, suppose it depends on the CRS at the end of the day and indeed if the problem is fissure/fistula, could just be internal hemorrhoids which is what I was diagnosed with way back in 1999, mine were grade 3 and I could of had an operation back then but I opted for the usual suppositories etc which worked at the time, little did I know that they would be just "hiding" for the time being and now 11 years later i've had several procedures for hemmies, all unsuccessful and to top it off I have a fissure, but currently have it under control through dietary changes and stool softeners, oh and a change in toilet posture (I squat instead of sitting) btw I highly recommend squatting for complete defecation you can feel the difference!
Good luck Denster, look forward to hearing from you
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby mmb0423 » 28 Feb 2010, 16:05

just a question for steve... when you say that you squat to go do you mean squat like hovering over a toilet or squat like in the woods? just curious.
thanks!
mmb0423
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Denster » 28 Feb 2010, 16:52

Neuropathicguy,
I don't think the CRS knows all he is going to do because he couldn't examine me too well. He mentioned fissurectomy and said he was "going to clean the area up nice and pretty". I just want the pain to stop. I have a very physical job (which I have not worked at in almost 2 months) and have had numerous injures. But I have never had pain like this.
Denster
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Mar 2010, 01:48

Geeeezzzzz : (, what a nightmare : (((. I am so sorry !!!
I wish he does LIS when he is already cutting : (( since LIS hurts the least of all things he plans to do and I had them all = fissurectomy, skin tag removal, and inside cent. tags removal : (((. And, of course I had 2 LIS surgeries before I got rid of my problems *sigh BUT HEY !!! Try to stay positive and if nothing - you always have a LIS and you are excellent candidate for it since Botox gave you so much help. LIS is like "permanent and stronger Botox" ; )
Wishing you the best of luck !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby StevePain » 01 Mar 2010, 05:05

Hi mmb, when I say squat, I mean squat on the toilet seat, both feet on the seat and in the squatting position, difficult at first with balance but hold on to the sink, i'm thinking of using a potty though which would be much easier, it's a well known fact that squatting when defecating is much easier and more complete.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Denster » 02 Mar 2010, 21:45

Tomorrows the day, I have never had any kind of surgery, never even been in the hospital, and I am a little scared. Image I am first in surgery tomorrow, 730am. I so much hope this takes the pain away.
Denster
Fibre Addict

Postby mmb0423 » 02 Mar 2010, 22:22

Good luck tomorrow!
mmb0423
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 03 Mar 2010, 12:58

So how'd it go Denster? Hopefully it was smooth sailing!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure