New member LIS surgery and fissurectomy yesterday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: New member LIS surgery and fissurectomy yesterday

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2008, 12:40

I can't believe they did something to you without your consent. It doesn't sound like from what he told your mother that they did a hemorrhoidectomy. I just had one 4 weeks ago and am still in terrible pain.

Was he talking about an internal hemorrhoid or external hemorrhoid?

Whatever they did it for sure going to increase your pain momentually and he should be ashamed of himself for treating you like that. I really think doctors need a taste of their own medicine.

Is he a general surgeon or a CRS?

Don't feel bad about crying. I cry 3-4 times a week and break down in front of doctors when I feel like I am not being understood.

I am so sorry that you are going through this.

Postby buttgirl » 11 Feb 2008, 12:47

Shave the edges of the hemmie to get to the muscle?? That doesn't make sense to me. The stitches from a LIS should be on the outside. You should be able to see them. Stitches from a hemorrhoidectomy will likely be both places, so if you don't know that you have them they are probably on the inside, which makes me wonder how the LIS was performed.
Maybe you could ask your dr to draw a picture? I badgered my old surgeon until he drew me one.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby juney » 11 Feb 2008, 12:49

i think first of all you need to try to calm down. i know that's easier said than done, but working yourself into a fit won't help anything. trust me, i've been thru 2 unsuccesful surgeries and i know how frustrating it can be, when you just want to bang your head into the wall or rip your doctor's head off... but you need to try to stop panicking. overall, decreasing your stress and anxiety will help your body calm down as well. in my most stressful times it helped me to repeat over and over in my head that i will get better, this has to end. do something to distract yourself, like reading or watching tv.
i don't recall how long it's been since your surgery, but it sounds like you had A LOT done. i think you should expect to be in pain for awhile, you're not going to just bounce back from a trauma like this. i felt a lot of discomfort for a long time after both my LIS surgeries. hot baths 4-5 times a day helped with any stinging/burning, especially after BMs. are you sitting in the bath as much as possible? are you laying down all the rest of the day? i basically spent 2 full weeks laying on my stomach, with a hot pad on my butt when i wasn't in the bath tub.
overall, if your pain is unbearable and meds aren't even controlling it, you need to see someone immediately. but if you can try to get the pain under control maybe you can relax for a little while and let your body do it's own healing. it's a slooow process as everyone here knows. just try to be patient and eventually you'll get over this healing hump.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 Feb 2008, 13:36

Amber, what city did you have your surgery in?
I ask because it's possible we had the same surgeon...
Was it University Hospital, Augusta GA?
My doctor Cheape *also* "flattened out a couple hemorrhoids" (his words, I remember them well) while doing my LIS.
Although he blew me out of his office on my initial visit, he seemed like a pretty reasonable guy and I recovered well. If it's the same guy, what he did to you and how he treated you was unconscionable!
Last edited by Deleted User 5 on 11 Feb 2008, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2008, 13:47

oh forgot to answer this he is a CRS, supposedly one of the best. He is just not very sympathetic. I had trouble with doctors and until I found him and I was hoping that part was over.

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2008, 13:51

Kim,
Yes this is the same doctor. Yes, he has always seemed like a reasonable guy to me as well. I'v always thought of him as a little arrogant. I guess when I questioned him, I hurt his ego or something. I don't care. He was extremely rude to me and I'm hurting as well. So, you basically had the same procedure from him. How long did it take you to recover?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 Feb 2008, 14:03

I was much better in about a week and a half. My first week was terrible, though. If you scroll through the surgery thread, near the end (a few pages back probably) my write up about my experience is there, the header is "Hugh: A Perfect Ass" (I went by Hugh on the board back then!)
It's a long thread...
He struck me as little arrogant, but he did come see me in the hospital room after the surgery. Told me I would want to kill him for about a week.
I was back at work in a week and a half, and in a month I was almost completely normal, including my tail.
When he said he would "flatten" my hemorrhoids out,he may have meant something different, less invasive than what he did to you. I don't know, I am just guessing.
I sure hope it gets better fast, Amber. One trick, like I said earlier, is to get your stools really firm. That way you won't have wet fecal matter soaking into the fissure site, which is what I think causes the burning.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2008, 14:24

He didn't come see me both times after the surgery. He did come to talk to my parents, but I would've rather talked to him. I think I took a little longer in recovery though. I don't know exactly what he said. If you are familiar with him, then maybe you know he changes the way he words things a lot of the time. He's very confusing. I want to kill him right now. I'm in so much pain and even if he does think he did the right thing (which I still don't believe) he didn't have to be so mean

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 Feb 2008, 15:05

Well, I really wasn't in his office long, the one trip I took before the surgery. Then, the day of the surgery I was pretty drugged up.
It does surprise me that he would be mean, though, but I don't know him well enough to speak to that, anyway. I only went back to him for one follow-up, because I was doing so well afterwards.
But now you have a much better grip on why it is still hurting. Lecia had a hemorrhoidectomy 4 weeks ago and is still in a LOT of pain, herself, so just brace yourself for a longer, bumpier ride than you expected.
Time will pass, though, and you will heal and get over this and it will be a dim, distant memory soon!
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 11 Feb 2008, 16:04

I'm sorry to say that it doesn't surprise me that he was meaner to a young girl than to an adult man. I have noticed and so have a few friends with chronic illnesses that drs are usually nicer to men, in that they behave like men who complain of pain are actually experiencing something (whereas women are just hysterical) and that men are for some reason better able to understand and deal with medical issues (whereas women will breakdown with bad news??).
A friend of mine regularly takes her hubby with her to her appts because the drs talk to her much differently when he is there. I have noticed this subconscious sort of predjudice myself at the drs office to the point where I feel I have to study medical literature and intellectually strong arm my drs to get treated like a competent adult.
maybe I'm just cynical.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67