Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: New Member

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Jan 2007, 11:41

Can you tell me what omega supplement you take?

I'll have to check that later (if I can remember!); I'm at work now. But they are gel caps -- I don't get any taste!
I looked on the cereal box and the Bran Buds I eat have 13 grams of fiber per serving...

You'll get used to the taste; I know I had to, but I've been eating "nuts and twigs" for years now! :D Experiment with different kinds (if you haven't already) & find one you like. Look back at that label again, it should also show you what percent of the RDA of fiber it contains...

I Fortunately I don't have a big appetite so that keeps me from overeating. I have lost 20 pounds since this pain started (I was down to 98 pounds) but am trying to eat some higher caloric foods like ice cream so I have put back on 8 lbs. I wonder if ice cream could be hard on digestion.

Wow, you are TINY! I lost too much weight due to my fissure, too! Now I'm just 154 lbs at almost six feet. Tall & skinny! I usually weighed between 165-175. Maybe you *don't* need to eat less (add some fat to your diet, it won't hurt if you don't over-do it -- Just NO trans-fats!) As for the ice cream....

W
a
t
c
h

O
u
t :pirat:
Dairy is a no-no on the "Anal-Fissure" diet! 1) the sweets will pass through your system too fast 2) Milk can give you too-loose stools (especially if you're like me) 3) Cheese can constipate.

Stay away from sweets and dairy if you can (wait until you're not in so much pain/are doing better, and indulge a little if you must!)
I wanted to mention I take acidopholis supplements too. Do you think this helps?

Absolutely. Anytime you can keep your digestive system functioning properly, it's friendly to your fissure. In this case, you are less likely to have diahrrea and, I guess as a result, have better-formed stools!

HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER TODAY Image

Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 25 Jan 2007, 15:06

I checked the cereal box and 1/2 a cup gives 55% RDA for fiber and I usually eat 1 1/2 cups. I guess that, plus the fiber supplements and all the fruits and veggies I am getting was overkill!
I am a vegetarian who eats some dairy but no eggs. Like I mentioned I love ice cream but drink soy milk and rarely eat cheese. Maybe frozen yogurt would be a good alternative?
Do you think acidophilus is enough or should I get a broader range of probiotics?
I'd love to give up the fish oil but I wasn't sure where else to get the Omegas that I need so on that vegetarian point, I have had to compromise especially when I was pregnant and nursing.
Things feel better today. I actually woke up without being in major pain like I had been since by the morning the painkillers have worn off. The more I move though the more it hurts. I am guessing it is from friction?
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Jan 2007, 16:09

>>I guess that, plus the fiber supplements and all the fruits and veggies I am getting was overkill!
Yikes!

I am a vegetarian who eats some dairy but no eggs. Like I mentioned I love ice cream but drink soy milk and rarely eat cheese. Maybe frozen yogurt would be a good alternative?

Sure! Just try doing without the ice cream until you get a handle on managing your pain, then indulge a little!
Do you think acidophilus is enough or should I get a broader range of probiotics?
I am just not familiar with probiotics! I don't see where it could hurt to increase the "spectrum," I guess.
I'd love to give up the fish oil but I wasn't sure where else to get the Omegas that I need so on that vegetarian point, I have had to compromise especially when I was pregnant and nursing.
OK, I take "Nordic Naturals" Complete omega 3-6-9 which I got from my wife and I don't know where she bought it. I'll ask her this weekend when I see her! The other one is an organic Flaxseed oil (Rexall, so lots of Mom & Pop drugstores should carry Flaxseed Oil). It just gives the Omega 3.
Things feel better today.
GREAT!
Image Image
I actually woke up without being in major pain like I had been since by the morning the painkillers have worn off. The more I move though the more it hurts. I am guessing it is from friction?
Maybe, and from bending, turning, twisting, all the thing we do everyday that normally we don't think about until we get a fissure.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!
No Problem, here's to having an even better day tomorrow! Image Image
Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 25 Jan 2007, 17:39

Okay, Hugh-just two more questions I thought of and then you can have the night off!
I am noticing some itching a little bit-does this mean it is healing?
Secondly, my doctor said when I get better I need to avoid exercises like squatting and lunges to avoid hemorrhoids and anal problems. I was wondering if you know anything about using a pilates machine or total gym? I was thinking maybe this would keep the pressure off the rectum but allow for me to get some exercise since I would be exercising in a recline position.
Thanks again for your support and willingness to share!
Lecia Image

Postby happyass » 25 Jan 2007, 17:52

hi lecia,
i am sorry you are dealing with this........
but there are some great things that i have gathered over your replies. i will throw out some suggestions and see if you are game to make some adjustments.....
1. Excellent that you are eating All Bran Bran Buds. I do too!!!!!
As you learned, there is 13 g of fiber per serving and that serving is 1/3 cup. So if you do like me, I eat a whole cup in the morning - which comes to 39 g of fiber. Can you imagine how much good fiber that is and you get it all in the morning!!!! Amazing. And then any addition fiber you have during the day is a bonus.
I would recommend that you consider doing away with those fiber supplements because the All Bran Bran Buds will be enough if you get the 1 cup in. Or you can have 2/3 serving for breakfast and have the other 1/3 for a snack....these are great to eat alone or with dried fruit. But definitely aim at having the full 1 cup serving per day.
2. I think if you take away the fiber supplements, and keep your water constant, I too drink 2 liters of water, roughly a bit more than 64 oz per day.
3. Stress plays a big part in your bowel movement. I find that when I am super stressed, my elimination is not the best and sometimes I either get constipated or I get too liquidy.
It is difficult to feel like a free spirit when you are scared to go take a crap!!!!! That is the most difficult thing to work out. Lots of yoga breathing, patience, and some hope will help.
Some things that I do now religiously in taking a crap....yes, it's a lot of work, but it has kept things going well:
**soothe your anus with some nice warm to mild hot water soaked up in a wad of toilet paper before taking a crap. applying the warm water will help loosen the tenseness that we have as we are awaiting the painful dump.
**if you can find some, use Palmer Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E Moisturizing Body Oil. Apply a nice dab on your anus and work some into the anus as comfortably as you can without pushing yourself to pain - only go as far as you can without pain. Once you hit pain, you've gone to far. You'll be amazed that over time, you will be able to get further without pain.
**if you can squat on the toilet, this would help facilitate the elimination. i squat now. i can't think about going back to sitting. squatting for me helped alleviate pressure where the movement was going against the fissure. this helped me out.
** once you have had your BM, then use the best possible baby wipes around - hypoallergenic and without fragrance. wipe but still wipe gently as if you had a baby's anus.
**if you can take a shower post BM, then do so with warm water. let the warm water wash over the anus and keep it clean. ABSOLUTELY NO SOAP in the anus. if you can't take a shower, get another nice wad of warm toilet paper and wipe gently clean. then pat dry.
**if you took a shower, then use a blow dryer post shower to really dry your anus.
**you can then finish apply a very thin thin coat of the body oil or Palmers also makes a smoothe cream.
4. It's great that you are a vegetarian. This makes this suggestion even easier. Get a Macrobiotic book to read. There are two that I would recommend:
The Macrobiotic Way: The Definitive Guide to Macrobiotic Living by Michio Kushi
The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics by Jessica Porter
Although you won't see a difference if you apply the first three steps until about 3-4 days, the fourth one will also help you over time.
It's not easy as it seems like there a lot of changes to make but they are changes for the better.
good luck......
ps. i would avoid all dairy. you can get probiotics via capsule form from a health store if you are concerned about replenishing the cultures found in yogurt.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Jan 2007, 18:19

I certainly feel that the itch is, in some cases, a healing itch. I really didn't have it until after the surgery, which is when I got it full bore. My CRS told me last week I was healing, so why not?
To help with the itch, Gareth gave some excellent advice, above, including gently blow-drying your business down there after a shower or bath and avoiding soap getting to that region. I use talcum powder, also, which has helped me! Of course, don't scratch!!!
I have to admit, I HAVE and it *really* induced the mother of all itches... Image
You know, exercise is something I really just don't, um, er, get...
I can't say one way or another what form would be best. I *DO* know that something like a leg lift, with one leg, REALLY use to seem to tear at my fissure. I'f have to be careful how I spread the anus, so to speak, even getting out of my F-150 involved moving my legs together in unison before I could slide out of the vehicle. Gosh, those were the days! :roll:

BTW, Gareth truely is our resident font of knowledge for macrobiotics and probiotics. His post is timely, indeed!
Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby Cheryl » 25 Jan 2007, 19:36

:hi: Lecia, and a BIG welcome to you - im so sorry it has taken me so long to jump on and say hi to you, I have had a nasty cold this week.. but anyhow, I have read through all of the posts and Hugh & Gareth have given you some great advice.. and you sound to be improving already! Image
Regarding the itch, I suffered with that too, my guess it was a healing itch, I used some uncented baby wipes after each BM and blow dryed it after BM's and showers. ALso soaked in the warm salt bath after each BM to sooth it and keep it clean.
Welcome again
and cant wait to talk to you more
Cheryl
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Guest » 25 Jan 2007, 20:46

Hi Gareth and Cheryl,
Thanks so much for your replies and ideas to try. It is so comforting to come here and know that others understand how painful this is. I have really felt desperate at times and isolated but I am finding there are people out there with all sorts of rectal issues! I am glad you guys are doing well! I hate to think of others suffering this kind of pain! I have gone through natural childbirth twice and would rather do that again than go through this pain!
I have been using A&D ointment on the tear before I go to the bathroom to kind of occlude the tissue so it doesn't tear so much and it has really helped with the bleeding. I use cottonelle wipes that flush. My daughter has started calling them "poop wipes." Then I get in the tub with my advil/vicoprofen and a book.
I was wondering about Espom salts. I have some but was afraid to use because of the old saying "rubbing salt into the wound." Will it sting my bottom more or does it help? Sometimes I use warm compresses down there too.
What is bugging me is this skin tag part of the fissure. The doctor said she could cut it off later but everytime I move it rubs and is very painful and feels swollen.
What do you think of kegel exercises? I was doing them quite often because of the rectal problems I have with mucosal prolapse and hemorrhoids but I don't know if that would make the spasms worse. I am certainly not doing it now. When I get spasms I do lamaze breathing (I used to teach childbirth classes) to get through the contraction.
I avoid taking supplements with calcium and iron because I know they are constipating but I guess I worry about the calcium. What do you do?
What kind of exercise do you all do? I had mentioned to Hugh about a Pilates machine that I can lie down on. I know that is way down the road but just wondered what would be safe.
I have heard about macrobiotics but am not sure what it is. It that when you eat raw foods to preserve enzyme content?
What did you guys do to stay sane during the pain? How do you deal with people you aren't close enough to share the details with but they know there is something wrong with you?
Have you guys had to deal with hemorrhoids too?
Hope your cold is better and thanks again for welcoming me to your little community.
Lecia

Postby Guest » 25 Jan 2007, 21:02

I just thought of something else I wanted to ask. You mentioned squatting when going to the bathroom. I saw on a website some kind of platform you can put over your toilet. Is that what you do?
Did it take awhile to get used to doing this?
Thanks again!
Lecia

Postby happyass » 25 Jan 2007, 21:11

well macrobiotics is a combination of cooking, eating foods in their natural state, but also choosing foods that are in season, and doing without foods that are processed, refined, modified with aritifical ingredients and preservatives, cutting out dairy and also the way you eat and relate to food and your health.
reading the two books will help you lots......another resource, which is just that - too advanced for someone just looking into macro but gives you an idea if you ever become a full macro person - is www.macrobioticcooking.com.
i believe that macrobiotics is even much healthier than being a vegetarian.
yoga is a great way to keep in shape. pilates is a bit more advanced but different altogether than yoga so it's not quite right to compare them.
with my fissures and all, i still managed to run 2 marathons and 2 10 mile races. go figure!!!!
i simply climb on the toilet edge of the rim and squat over the toilet. so i don't use any special apparatus; but as you see, they are out there.
i know that the pain can be debilitating, and other that just not being able to drive or sit comfortably, always try to get out there and do what you enjoy - even if you can't enjoy it 100%.
part of this whole ordeal, is mind over matter.........
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74