One week after LIS...Doing great

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

One week after LIS...Doing great

Postby mav3460 » 14 Feb 2015, 00:49

After a year and a half of suffering I had the surgery (sphincterotomy) last week (Feb. 6th). The whole day of the surgery suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. I mainly stayed off the pain meds to avoid constipation. That night it got better and I got some sleep.

The next day the constant pain was gone but still had some pain at the incision. Just took it really easy and used the heating pad and took sitz baths.

2 days after I noticed even more improvement. kept using laxatives and softeners to make the BM go smoothly, but they didn't hurt for me. I had my surgery on a Friday and I could have probably went back to work Monday but decided to work from home for the next two days.

Days 3 and 4 I continued to improve. Really started to notice that my sphincter was not nearly as tight and BM were way more comfortable. Swelling went down.

Days 5 and 6 I went back to work and started to reduce my miralax and softener intake. Because of this my stomach is now feeling normal for the first time in forever. My BMs are bigger and more solid, but it no longer hurts. My BM this morning was one of these "normal" BMs and would have killed me prior to the surgery, but no residual pain and my sphincter is now relaxed and the fissure seems to already be healed. Also, there has been absolutely no leakage of gas or worse.

I am still a little paranoid, skeptical, and worried. I think that is natural, but I feel pretty dang great for the first time in a long time. I would recommend getting the surgery. I didn't want to do it, then I had a really bad few days after a painful BM. I called my surgeon who I had visited before. He had a cancellation and I was able to get in the next day. When he recommended surgery I didn't even flinch, but told him "let's do it". We scheduled it for the next week and got it done. If you get someone who knows what they are doing and board certified there is a high success.

Anyways just wanted to share this.
mav3460

Topics: 1

Re: One week after LIS...Doing great

Postby JHH » 14 Feb 2015, 15:55

Thank you for the great post. Sounds like you are out of the woods!

Want me to move it to the success stories section?

JHH
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby mav3460 » 14 Feb 2015, 19:48

That would be fine with me. Wasn't sure if I was being premature if I posted on the success thread. Everyday is surprisingly better than the next. Can't believe how quickly I have recovered, and how much better I feel. Hope this keeps up.
mav3460

Postby Jteller86 » 06 Mar 2015, 12:41

Just curious to see how you're doing? Hope all is well
Jteller86
Fibre Addict

Postby mav3460 » 09 Mar 2015, 22:35

So this Friday will be 5 weeks after the surgery. It took a few days for the incision to heal, and I can hardly feel it anymore. I have had a couple instances where my BM has been larger and had some burning, but I can't really connect it to fissure pain since there has been absolutely no spasms or aching. My mind is always wondering if I will have that bad BM and start all over, but that hasn't happened. I think it will take some time for me to be fully convinced. I'm still very happy with my decision. I have hardly any pain, and no bad side effects.
mav3460

Postby chachacha » 10 Mar 2015, 08:25

I had to laugh when I read your post, because I'm worried about being too convinced myself. I'm 7 weeks out now and have had no painful movements at all, or and burning or other worrisome events. I just can't believe my luck and keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Congrats and I hope that things keep going well for us both.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19