Perhaps going for hemorrhoid surgery today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Perhaps going for hemorrhoid surgery today

Postby Cinderella » 16 Aug 2007, 05:34

As I have told before I was diagnosed with a bad internal hemorrhoid last week but it could not be taken off because of my AF. Now that hemorrhoid has become outer hemorrhoid and the pain is killing me. Yesterday I had to call my husband at the midday to come home from work I could not take care of my baby I had so much pain.
Today the pain has stayed similar and I got an emergency appointment where I will have the surgery done if the CRS thinks it is needed. However I think this is a thrombosed hemorrhoid because it came suddenly so big and it is blue.
However I am scared of death that this will cause an other AF to me as I was told earlier, but I cannot live with this pain. Image Image
Plus this will be a new CRS who I have never seen before. Image
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Perhaps going for hemorrhoid surgery today

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Aug 2007, 06:56

Good luck...I am sure they will be careful. Not all hemmy surgery causes AF, so relax. Here's wishing you the best. Yes, it does sound like it's thrombosed...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 Aug 2007, 07:53

I am sorry, Cinderella. I know how painful that is-it is awful!!!!! But it may be unavoidable not to take care of it surgically because as you know once one of those suckers gets that bad surgery may be the only thing to relieve the pressure. You probably won't get a fissure from it though. Just take care of your bum afterwards as best as you can. That is all you can do. It will be okay. I hope they can help you can get you more comfortable.
Hang in there!

Postby Guest » 16 Aug 2007, 08:05

One last thing I wanted to mention, Cinderella. The bright side to having the hemmie removed is that you won't get one there again. So at least when you get pregnant you will have one less site to worry about getting thrombosed. And at least here is the US they won't do anything to help you if you get one like that during pregnancy.

Postby Cinderella » 21 Aug 2007, 10:40

Thank you so much for your support!
I did not have the surgery. The CRS was the nicest one I have ever met. He said that is more likely that I will have an other AF if the surgery will be done. He said than in normal circumstances the surgery would have been done but that he cannot do it for me because of the AF. Now I am taking 3X600mg ibuprofein and 3X500mg paracetamol each day and I can manage some way. He said that the hemorrhoid is thrombosed but it will go away in a month. My parents came to stay with us for a week so my husband can go to work and they are helping me to take care of the baby so I can rest. They are so lovely and helpful.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 21 Aug 2007, 10:45

Hey Cinderella,
Well, I am in the same boat as you! I have a thrombosed hemmie that I saw the CRS about yesterday and he did not want to do a surgery either for fear of leaving me with another AF. So I am on 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day to help with inflammation.
Are the pain meds helping? I am glad you have family to stay with you to help out.
Gosh, this totally stinks. He said a month for it to go away?
My CRS said he had 3 this year himself and I am like "how do you function like that?"
Hang in there.
Is it getting smaller?

Postby buttgirl » 21 Aug 2007, 11:41

I don't know if this will help wither of you, but when I got my mini bleeding hemmie, I thought it might be thrombosed because it fit the descritpion, so I began taking an asprin a day for two weeks to help break up the clot. I'm not sure if it actually helped break up the clot, but the asprin certainly helped relieve the pain.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 21 Aug 2007, 11:44

Thanks Buttgirl! How long did yours last? Is it better now?

Postby Guest » 21 Aug 2007, 11:49

Hey BG,
What do you think of using garlic to help with the clot? I started taking a few garlic pills a day since this started?
Thanks for your help!

Postby buttgirl » 21 Aug 2007, 12:34

Glad to finally be of some service to you Lecia. I can't tell you how much your encouragement help me out!

Actually, this weekend the last bit of pain finally stopped, probably because I didn't have to spend 8+ hours a day sitting. The intense throbbing after bm stopped after about a week though.

In the begining, I think the asprin helped. Since the primary pain of a thrombosed hemmie is supposedly cause by the clot, I wanted to break down the clot ask quicky as possible. That's why I went for the asprin. It is anticoagulant and blood thinning. If you don't want to do the asprin, you might consider its herbal couterpart which is willow bark. It has the salacylic acid in it, but is supposed to be gentler on the intestines. The problem is the dose of the active compound is not regulated in the herbal supplements.

Rutin also seemed to help a little, as did horse chestnut and butcher's broom, but the asprin was by far the most effective (probably because of the antiinflammatory and thus pain reducing properties). You might also consider a shot or two of whiskey. It's more fun than asprin and the alcohol in it also thins the blood.:)

I'm not sure if garlic will help break up the clot. I think in the long term it might, but I don't think it's anticoagulant properties are as pronounced as asprin (or even alcohol). I think people who take it use it as more of a preventative than a cure. But maybe large doeses of garlic pills would have some effect.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67