New and so happy!!!

Having surgery in 16 days...nervous!!!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New and so happy!!!

Postby cshelloysters » 07 Dec 2013, 11:27

Good morning!!
I am so happy to have found this group. I have read a lot of posts already and feel I am getting a lot of information...but I am still very nervous about my LIS surgery on the 23rd of December. I am also having the fissure removed.
I guess I am concerned that I have always had constipation ever since I was born practically. I was instructed by my surgeon to take fiber, drink lots of water and add magnesium to my diet. I am fearful that I won't be able to get my constipation under control before and after my surgery.. does anyone have any suggestions aside from the generic instructions of 'more fiber, exercise, fruits & vegetables'????
Thank you! It is so good to be apart of this group.
:thankyou:
cshelloysters
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: New and so happy!!!

Postby pinpin » 07 Dec 2013, 14:24

Hello and welcome!

Before suggesting something, I would ask whether you have tried laxatives for you constipation problems?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 09 Dec 2013, 17:09

Hi cshelloysters

And a good morning to you. Boy I tell you, with your surgery on the 23rd, your
either going to have one of the best Christmases ever, or a not o great one. We're
hoping with you that it will be a memorable relatively pain-free day for you.

To keep your stools soft there are certain foods that you should avoid along with upping
your fiber intake. Getting too much of one type of fiber, i.e. the insoluble type can
give us large hard tool. In my case I was taking in too much of the floury type foods;
the breads, muffins etc.

Go easy on your dairy products (including cheese) and your meat and pasta as these type of foods
are known to cause constipation. Upping your water intake is also very important.

If these measures still do not help, as igrik suggest try an OTC lax like Miralax / Movical,
as very many people have had huge success using these here.

Good luck on your LIS and Fissurectomy cshelloysters, we truly hope you
have a happy holiday and a very merry Christmas.
Deleted User 2950

Postby cshelloysters » 24 Dec 2013, 16:44

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I got my constipation under control with the fiber powder and the stool softeners and had my surgery yesterday. I have been virtually pain-free until today!!! The surgery was not bad at all. The only problem I am having at the moment is I have not had a BM yet and it has been over 24 hours since I had the surgery. I have taken my max of stool softeners for both days, have taken fiber powder to what was prescribed and have taken my max dose of milk of magnesium. I have drowned myself with water and move as much as I can. I have also not taken any of my pain meds today in fear that they are not helping the situation. I don't know what to do..any advice?
cshelloysters
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 24 Dec 2013, 17:56

Hi cshelloysters,
Congrats on your surgery :). If you've taken all your stool softeners you should be fine. I had my surgery on a Wednesday & was worried sick no bm till the Friday & it was heaven it just fell out lol. Just relax it will happen good luck :)
Deleted User 2543

Postby cshelloysters » 24 Dec 2013, 21:10

Edel....how have you been since your surgery? Are you glad you had it? Anymore problems? :)
cshelloysters
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 26 Dec 2013, 09:25

Hi I've been great thanks. It was tough to begin with but as I keep saying it was a healing pain totally different to fissure pain. It was best decision I made to go ahead with surgery & I haven't had any problems since tg. I hope your feeling better :)
Deleted User 2543

Postby cshelloysters » 28 Dec 2013, 19:31

I have got the constipation issue under control and I am now five days post-op and still have some slight bleeding...is that normal?
cshelloysters
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 29 Dec 2013, 05:25

Hi glad to hear that you have constipation under control. It's very normal to bleed a little I did for about 6wks. It was pinkish blood I put a sml piece of gauze in between my cheeks so it would catch it & keep area dry. If you are worried just give crs a quick ring. :)
Deleted User 2543

Postby Abqann » 22 Feb 2014, 02:49

I just found this forum myself and am happy to know there are others out there like me. I have had the AF for a year now, last August it got so bad I finally went to my Primary who sent me to a Colo Rectal Surgeon. I had to get a workplace accommodation to be able to take additional breaks during work because the pain was so intense sometimes I throw up and have to go lay down. It took 4 months to get into the surgeon, then all he advised me to do was to take miralax daily, sitz baths 4 times a day and come back in 8 weeks. (?) . I have to say this regimen has helped, however if you can say getting down to about 4 hours of intense pain a day is better, well I guess I am better. Whet back to the surgeon and he recommended the anoplasty surgery. I am so excited to have it, I have read it is very successful and you don't have to mess yourself. Surgery scheduled for march 10. Never thought I would be excited to have surgery, but I cannot take this any more. We were out to dinner with friends the other night and we had to leave because I was in so much pain. I have to revolve all of my activities around when I am going to have a BM so I can recover. It is no way to live your life. I am generally very conservative when it comes to my medical care, but after suffering so long I have just had it and will do whatever it takes to move past this. I would rather have a baby then got through this pain. Oh wait, I did have 2 babies without any pain control and that was easy. So to all out there suffering, I say go to the DR and get a treatment plan in place.
Abqann