terrified

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

terrified

Postby scared ann » 12 Dec 2013, 10:28

I'm having a LIS Monday and I'm so terrified about it.advice please
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Re: terrified

Postby Scientist2516 » 12 Dec 2013, 11:17

Dear Scared Ann, it's totally natural to be scared of any surgery, and I'm sure you have a lot of pain already, so of course you are feeling scared. Please don't worry too much. Lots of people here have had the surgery and been totally fine afterwards. They say that the pain is better from day one, and within a week or two they are back to work.

If you see some less positive results on this forum, remember that the people who stick around are the ones that have problems - the ones that heal up and get their lives back tend to move on and not visit the forum any more.

I am sure that some people who've had surgery recently will chime in and reassure you. I wish you all the very best of luck and healing!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Davo » 12 Dec 2013, 17:47

Hello Scared Ann,

I had my surgery over a year and a half ago now and to be honest the procedure takes less time than it does to make a cup of tea. Fear of surgery is completely natural but believe me once it's all over you will just think to yourself, 'Was that it???'

LIS was a quick fix for me and i was healed within two weeks which was confirmed at my four week follow up consultation. Anyway i made a diary of my events so maybe take a look and if you have any questions let me know

my-lis-diary-march-2012-fully-healed-in-4-weeks-t4589.html

Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby scared ann » 13 Dec 2013, 07:44

Thank you Scientist!no matter what I do to make my self calm i can't .i am too scared of pain after the procedure.
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby scared ann » 13 Dec 2013, 08:35

Thank you Davo! I read your sweet diary at it makes me smile:)I really appreciated
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 13 Dec 2013, 11:51

Try not to work yourself up too much Ann..... This surgery will be of immense benefit in the long run.... No more debilitating pain!!!
I haven't had lis, but I have had Botox... And it's a very light anaesthesia,and only takes a few minutes. Just keep on top of your pain meds, and take a stool softener, and you will recover very quickly.

All the best, and keep us posted!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby scared ann » 13 Dec 2013, 13:39

Thank you OBM! I have been trying to think positive but it is so hard really.i can't sleep don't have appetite.its like I am falling apart.I am not scared of the surgery but I'm sick in my stomach about the pain of the recovery and the first BM...OMG I'm going crazy
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Scientist2516 » 13 Dec 2013, 17:16

Hi Scared,
From what I've read here, the pain of recovery is not bad, compared to what you've already been through. The first BM might be a bit difficult, but probably not as painful as you've already been having. Take stool softeners, drink loads, keep your stool soft. You may not have a BM for a couple of days after surgery if you've had to cleanse your colon. Don't worry -keep reading those success stories.

Keep telling yourself: "This time in 3 days the surgery will be over" "This time next week I'll be feeling 100% better" etc.

Concentrate on getting through this time. Every time you start to panic, take a deep breath or three and think calming thoughts. Fix on a positive calming thought and make yourself think it every time you panic.
Another trick I heard of is, when you have a fearful thought, imagine that thought into a box. Then shrink that box into the corner of your mind. Make it go very very small and right off to the side of your mind. Bring up your positive thought into its place.

Come and vent here whenever you feel like it. And don't forget to let us know how the surgery went!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby scared ann » 13 Dec 2013, 19:28

Thank you so much scientist for the good and kind encouragement!i will try to do what you've suggested.its good to know that there's a forum like this that people will come together listening and giving advices.
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Loves Tennis » 14 Dec 2013, 14:24

Hi Scared Ann, I totally know how u might be feeling scared, I was v anxious before I had LIS two months ago but having suffered for 4 terrible years with horrific pain I can tell you that in the end the LIS was a breeze. As some of the others have said it is a true fix for this awful affliction. I too was petrified of the first BM but take stool softeners and drink lots of water and it will slip out. I had absolutely no fissure pain ever again from day one and only some soreness at the incision / stitch site. You will get through this and it will be worth it. Wishing you the very best and let us know how you get on
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Topics: 1