sex for females post-lis

how soon? any issues?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

sex for females post-lis

Postby backagain » 15 Dec 2013, 18:22

Hello, I guess once you can talk to strangers online about the tear in your anus, you can ask them anything! I am a young female and have LIS scheduled for Dec 27th. I am wondering how soon after the procedure females out there were able to have sex? Also, I'm concerned about issues with incontinence during sex. Any general or specific info you can give me would help me out! Thanks so much!
backagain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: sex for females post-lis

Postby pinpin » 17 Dec 2013, 04:08

Hello,

I am not female, but I am 6 days post LIS, and as per males it is ok to have sex, but slowly and with caution.
Hope someone from women side will jump in for more details.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Scientist2516 » 17 Dec 2013, 09:42

I haven't had LIS, so can't say. I just wanted to apologise to backagain that she's not getting many answers. I think it's because a lot of us feel afraid and in pain, and just don't feel like sex at all with a fissure. Personally, I just felt really yucky about everything down there, which was quite a problem in itself.
So I think that's why you are not getting a lot of people chiming in. Sorry about that!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby jr2 » 18 Dec 2013, 02:01

Really tough to answer, as everyone's surgical experience and recovery is so different (and I haven't had surgery).. Generally speaking, you would want to make sure the wound is sufficiently healed so that you don't increase the risk of infection at the surgical site, and also you will want to gauge things from your own comfort/pain levels. Ultimately it is a question best addressed to your doctor, and is also completely dependent on your body and your readiness.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 18 Dec 2013, 04:03

Hi backagain,
I am female & I'm 6 mths healed from lis, fissurectomy & tag removal. I did not & did not feel like having sex until after my 6 wk check up. I had some stitches & was terrified of infection & hurting myself. Really it's a personal decision you will know yourself how you feel.
I wish you the very best for the 27th & hope you recover quick.
Take care :)
Deleted User 2543

Postby skumar » 18 Dec 2013, 16:13

Hi Edel94,

Happy to hear that you are healed. Do you feel any discomfort now? When did you feel completely healed after the surgery? I had the surgery done on Dec 2nd, now 2 weeks post op and still have lot of discomfort and some pain.
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Loves Tennis » 18 Dec 2013, 16:33

Hi backagain I am 2.5 months post LIS......best thing I ever did in my life !! I had sex for 1st time around 3 weeks post surgery......very gently with no problems and no issues. Like Edel94 says its v personal and different for each person but just go with your gut you'll know what is right. Very best of luck with surgery. It's life changing !
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 18 Dec 2013, 17:00

Hi skumar,
Congrats on your surgery :) I don't have any pain or discomfort tg I still take stool softeners. I'd say it was a full 6 wks before I really relaxed. The pain i had was a different kind of pain like a bruised, stingy, sore feeling like stitches been pulled, not intense like it was before. Sitting upright was the hardest and walking was a bit uncomfortable. I had a bit of pinkish blood leaking for a good 6 wks too.
I hope your pain eases soon I'm sure it's hard to mind yourself with two sml kids but try to be kind to yourself take things very easy for 6wks. Take care :)
Deleted User 2543

Postby skumar » 25 Dec 2013, 06:02

Thanks Edel for your quick response. I am feeling better now. It's been 3 weeks post surgery. My problem is maintaining consistency of bm. Someday its is hard though I followed the same diet. Specially it happens when I am in the cycle is this normal?I guess its becoz of harmonal changes. Too many harmonal changes in me in last 1 year due to pregnancy and child birth.
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 26 Dec 2013, 09:33

@ Skumar Hi I'm glad to hear your feeling a bit better. I found it hard to get bm right too mine were too soft but I wasn't prepared to ease up on softeners too soon as I was terrified of a hard bm.
I'd say your hormones are playing a big part in it alright. I always found I was less constipated when I had my cycle.

@Backagain best of luck for tomorrow :)
Deleted User 2543