Million Dollar Question Regarding Pain

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Million Dollar Question Regarding Pain

Postby queenofpain » 13 Jan 2014, 16:17

I doubt anyone has the answer, but here goes.

I developed a fissure (really two) seven years ago last September, and had LIS in October 2011, two years ago.

My question is, Why do I still have bouts with pain if the area is healed? I'm told that fissures can heal overnight, that mine were healed readily, and that my LIS site healed within four weeks. I'm also told I have very little scar tissue. Yet, if my stool requires any normal straining, I can go back into pain for days, weeks or months. By contrast, you can't even tell I had foot surgery or hand surgery. There is never any pain.

Anyone learn anything about pain from their surgeon? I'm tired of having to treat this area with kid gloves!
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Million Dollar Question Regarding Pain

Postby hopefulbutt » 13 Jan 2014, 20:36

Have you been tested for levator ani? Or had a defacating proctogtam? Also biofeedback could help you if the pelvic muscles are too tight. Don't stop trying to figure it out.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Postby Savaici » 13 Jan 2014, 21:13

You might like to read this article - the only one that I've found. I also have unexplained pain, and have researched it intensely.

http://www.theiaforum.org/displayFullAr ... s3PV4TQ%3D
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby queenofpain » 14 Jan 2014, 09:04

Hi Hopefulbutt,

No, I never had the testing or procedure that you mention. I will look them up, though.

My CRS has been practicing for over 40 years, and thinks he knows everything. Actually, he's supposed to be quite an expert, and has written extensively. He just doesn't like to hear counterthought.

At the last visit (Fall), he postulated that pain is from the muscle not being stretched with normal stools. He doesn't mind my being on Miralax, but wants me off M.O.M. I have been down to only 1 TBS of M.O.M. the past year, though. The reason why I rely on these products is because I suffered a lot of pain for a month and a half following LIS, and the area continues to be very vulnerable. A few days of more formed stools last May led to pain until November.

He did an exam with his finger last visit, and doesn't think there's anything identifiable that's leading to the pain. He said I should be done with this by now. He offered to show me how to stretch the area with a candle, even though the anus is meant to be stretched from the inside-out. This frightens me; he can be impatient. I've never been able to even get creams very far into me. He said, though, that if I would stretch it, I would be out of pain in a month. From my experience with pain, though, I really doubt it.

I'm probably going to see another CRS that I saw last summer when my CRS was on leave. Thanks for the reply!
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby queenofpain » 14 Jan 2014, 09:16

Thanks for the reply and the link, Savaici. Yes, the article is interesting. I can't help but wonder if I'm still healing from LIS on some level. I noticed there was an area tender to the touch, as if bruised, several hours after I had a more normal stool a few days ago that brought on my current pain.

I will look at some of your replies regarding your own situation when I get a chance.

Thank you again!
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 14 Jan 2014, 12:21

Just as a matter of interest, he may be right about the stretching. I used anal dilators for some time, though in the end I just chose to improve my diet (enough fibre, but not too much) and my stools now act as a stretch instead of the dilator. There is a link on self dilation and another by one of our members ( wecc ), and I will give you both below to have a look at. Also, one of our moderators - suzyljank - had surgery and was advised by her CRS ro dilate afterwards, and this has worked well for her.

self-dilation-t4261.html#p68751

my-sad-standardized-anal-dilitation-experience-t7524.html#p98156
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby queenofpain » 14 Jan 2014, 15:30

Thanks for the additional links, Savaici. I will definitely explore self-dilation. It frightens me much because I was not even able to get a hydrocortisone suppository inside prior to surgery. I haven't tried anything afterward. I just assumed the LIS would take care of all this. My bm today had the circumference of maybe a nickel. I think that's a good start. Thanks much, again!
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby queenofpain » 14 Jan 2014, 16:29

The other comment I wanted to make was that my CRS told me at last visit that the number one cause of stenosis is liquid stools. I wish he would of told me this right after LIS. In fact, he reassured me in a post-op visit that, "That muscle is not the one you were born with," in a reply to a question of mine to the effect of whether the muscle would ever tighten to the same degree again. I figured because a piece of the sphincter had been surgically removed, I couldn't possibly have the same issues. The last visit, though, he said to this effect, "Trust me, I've been doing this for 40 years, and that muscle needs to be stretched (with normal stools)." I wish they would give you the whole story up front.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist