New and happy to have found this site

introduction

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New and happy to have found this site

Postby leanne27 » 09 Feb 2014, 22:45

Hello everyone, I am so pleased to have stumbled across this forum while desperately searching for information and explanations.

I have been suffering for around 6 months with AF. It has completely affected the quality of my life and I at least feel some relief that I am not alone or just being a huge baby about the whole situation! My motivation to do anything is at rock bottom. I can't exercise, used to ride an exercise bike, even walking after 10 minutes makes things really smart down there. Don't really want to go out and socialize.

I have occasional days where I am not in pain and I feel like a weight has been lifted off me, only to be knocked down again by debilitating pain and the frustration that goes along with that.

I find it so difficult at work as I am sitting down and I find office seating to be really uncomfortable. I am a health professional and have long consultations with clients, usually 90 minutes and I find myself gritting my teeth and trying to breathe through the pain on some days.

I am mentally fatigued by the whole situation, I just want to wake up and find myself better. Instead I get glimmers of hope which disappear with each BA or passing of wind. As a result I am quite teary easily, if not about the pain but about trivial issues which don't warrant tears. It wakes me up at night and things are always so much worse if you haven't slept.

The highlight of my "journey" came last week when I developed a discharge which soaked through my clothes all the way into my cloth covered seat at work. At least I don't share an office so was able to clean it up. Things have been dripping, usually starting in the afternoon, ever since, and I thought it couldn't get much worse! I saw my CRS today for a post colonoscopy review and he has decided I must have an infection (didn't examine me though) and put me on antibiotics stating that it was rare for this to happen and to come back in 10 days. Panty liners are a must right now! I feel quite revolting.

I haven't told anyone about this, find it embarrassing to discuss as it is so personal and yucky!

It has really made me feel so much better when I see that others share some of the experiences that I have had.

Thank you all for sharing, good to know that I am not alone.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: New and happy to have found this site

Postby Now66 » 10 Feb 2014, 22:46

leanne27: So tell us what you are doing to treat your condition. We here on the site have found many ways that help.

Glad also that you found us. No need for embarrassment here. Who else can I tell how I stuck a finger blob of Vaseline up my *** and smile about it. Humor and patience, by the way, are a necessity for natural AF healing.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby woundedspirit » 11 Feb 2014, 00:34

leanne27: Welcome to the site. There is a wealth of information here. I have found there is nothing about this subject than cannot be discussed. It has been a lifeline to me many times. You will find the most useful information here. Everyone is so helpful.

We can all relate to not only the pain but mental and emotional aspects as well. Glad you saw your CRS because it sounds as if there is infection present. Don't feel revolting, if we had an infection on any other part of our body we wouldn't feel that way. Be easy on yourself. Things will get better. Did your CRS suggest anything else to help beat this infection other than the antibiotics such as frequent sitz/tub baths?

Let us know how you are improving and what is and is not working for you as you are trying to heal. I know in the beginning I had to take some time off work to care for myself, attend to this full time, re-group and learn how to keep the pain under better control. Not everyone is able do that but it helped me a lot. God Bless. WS
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby leanne27 » 11 Feb 2014, 02:55

thank you for the replies!

I am using a fibre supplement: Benefibre (soluble fibre) which is keeping everything soft. I have now learnt that the fewer bowel actions the better so not overloading with fibre and bulking up. After my colonoscopy I found I was very windy and passing that really caused me problems and then I had a few days of going 3 -4 times a day. Very uncomfortable!

I have only seen my CRS twice, once was to discuss problems rather than treatment as he needed to do a colonoscopy to work out what was going. The second visit was post colonoscopy and he really didn't go into a lot of detail of what to do as he was concentrating on discussing my discharge and prescribing antibiotics. I had to ask for the cream which he had told me briefly about in our first visit. This is a Nifedipine lidocaine ointment which I started yesterday and it does take the edge off some of the pain at least.

Prior to this I was using calmoseptine cream and anusol which really did nothing at all. I waited for 4 months before presenting to my GP as I was embarrassed and hoping things would subside on their own.

Even though I really don't look forward to a physical examination I was a bit disappointed that he did just prescribe antibiotics and didn't look at what was going on. I worry that I have an abscess or fistula as I am paranoid! My mother has had a peri anal abscess for a number of years and after several surgeries it disappeared but seems to be starting up again. I'm going back in 10 days so perhaps he will give me more advice then. No mention of sitz baths but I do find I feel better after a good soak in my bath.

I do wonder about taking some time off work as I can cope at home far better, I also have a recliner on my lounge so sitting isn't a big issue as it is at work.

I am really hoping that the cream is going to be my savior and I am trying to convince my body of the same!
Will let people know if it is going to do the job.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2