Your work and social status

how do you cope? what are challenges?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Your work and social status

Postby Erosindra » 07 Jan 2014, 23:47

I am in secondary school, my job is technically writing. I plan to get a book published within this year and want to write as a career. I guess you could say I come from a middle class family? Yea, I think middle class works pretty well. I think we are doing good,.

I enjoy reading, writing, eating, sleeping, playing video games, watching netflix. A lot of things haha. I am kind of a homebody though, and would rather be at home relaxing than going out and partying or doing the crazy things that my friends enjoy.

I tend to get stressed out very easily when it comes to school and I honestly wish that society was more forgiving to people who drop out of secondary school. But I am sticking with it till the end, and enduring the stress just so I can hope to have a decent life, even if my plan for writing fails. Maybe all this stress has something to do with my pooping issues haha ;)
Erosindra
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby havefaith » 09 Jan 2014, 23:34

Im 29 year old male massage therapy student. Im from Ottawa canada. Formerly a dental assistant and personal trainer. I also used to be a bouncer at after hours clubs Loved training people to fight in mixed martial arts. I have a huge social network (3 people of which i see now from time to time) but usually i have people over on a regular basis. I struggle with chronic neckpain as well as genital herpes, and all of my close friends know about as well as my fissures :)

i have my own place however, atm i stay with my parents as im pretty done for most of the day. my gf is a real savior because shes always there just doing things or making me feel supported, i love her so much........ shes taught me what it is to truly love a person.

my hobbies include building fences and decks, doing all sorts of home renovations. However, i did not get a chance to finish the interlocking stone in my backyard last year as this all started.

since that dreadful day i have done very few things while having fissures. they debilitate me so badly its hard to get much done. i feel like the worst bf sometime, the worst son, and not a very good person to myself due to all of the anxieties that i have been experiencing with this crap.

all i think about is what is going into my body, when is next bowel movement, do we have wipes all creams and gloves handy. at my parents i have a bathroom dedicated to me which helps.

other than that in my spare time i loved weightlifting, mixed martial arts, yoga, spirituality, organic healthy eating including juice fasting which ive done a long time ago very successfully.

i found now that i dont really hang out with friends too often, and during conversation i find it really hard to be in the moment as lll get a sensation and then that will be all i will be able to think about. Beauty pics left handed, youre my hero!! tough tough lady. you are all so strong....
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby Ginger » 05 Feb 2014, 19:16

I am new to this site, but after a year of suffering with AF issues I felt like I was losing everything and had no place to turn. No one who isn't going through this can really understand the impact on your professional or personal life. I am a professional woman recently divorced who had a very successful sales career ....now
which is completely gone, a relationship that has disintegrated and it is only the recent discovery of this site that is helping me through. Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories.
Ginger
Fibre Addict

Postby ButtQueen » 27 Feb 2014, 02:18

Thought I would refurbish the topic! :) I am 22, female, a psychologist. At home these days, preparing for admission in MS in Health Psychology this year. I have always had pooping problems but in Nov'13 everything took a toll on me with this AF! Though it's still there, seems to heal and re-tear, heal and re-tear, heal and re-tear. The pain is manageable, I think. Hoping to take back control over my life soon!
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Tight5 » 02 Mar 2014, 15:20

I'm a 46 year-old husband and father of two grade school kids. I work in Network Operations for an American cable TV network. Since the kids have come around I've gotten lazy and have really fallen out of shape. I played rugby for close to 20 years, did some mountain biking and backpacking/camping. Bad knees forced me to give up the rugby and the biking/backpacking have been harder to find time for. Nowadays I play softball, coach my son's little league baseball team and get out for an occasional day hike.

My fissure problem started about a year ago. While I have had no shortage of difficult, painful days, it sounds like my experience has not been nearly as bad as many others'. Most days started out pain-free and only got bad during/after a movement. The bad period could be anywhere from an hour to 6-8 hours and the pain could range from moderate itching/burning to a lot of sharp, stinging pain that made sitting still in the office very difficult. I got to where I was very careful to avoid BMs near bedtime and right before any activities that involved a lot of upright sitting (movies, car trips, etc.). I've been able to maintain a relatively normal life from any outsider's perspective but I think the constant unknown of what the day's trip to the toilet would bring has affected my mood a good bit.

I had my LIS surgery just a couple of days ago and all seems to be going well. I have a post up in the Diary forum if you're interested in that story.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Me82 » 13 Mar 2014, 05:04

I'm new to this site but I've been dealing with fissure/s for over ten years. I work as a postdoc immediately after at a Russel Group university in the UK. I thoroughly enjoy my job and I'm fortunate that I don't have to teach at the minute (I used to teach when I did my PhD) but the AF is problematic at the moment as it stops me from focusing on anything else. Moreover, I have a few conferences the coming weeks and having to deal with AF issues whilst being away from home isn't ideal. I've had issues with BMs at public/work toilets and that is problematic when being away particularly when trying to get the Lactulose dose spot on as I sometimes need to find a toilet rather urgently.
I mostly find that having a very flexible job (I often work from home) means that it's fairly easy to juggle AF and work.

My fiancee has been very supportive throughout my re-tear agony (we met when I was having a few years without any major AF problems).
I enjoy reading, going for walks, traveling, golf, playing with our two cats and socializing in my spare time although socializing isn't on the agenda at the moment.
Me82
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby asdf123456 » 17 Mar 2014, 12:51

Has anybody ever had to quit their jobs because of this? I am seriously considering it. I think I have to, honestly. The whole thing is massively depressing. I had three surgeries, all failures, and I just don't know what to do anymore. I can either live with it and pretend that nothing's wrong, or re-organize my whole life around it. It's crazy. I don't know what to do. I have a corporate job and I don't want to continue it if this thing isn't going to get better, and it isn't. If that's the case, then I don't see another option but to gracefully bow out and move into my mothers basement for the rest of my pathetic existence.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby carinae23 » 20 May 2014, 14:09

I'm the executive director of a small non-profit organization. When the problem with my AF first began I had to take several days off from work because of the pain. Since those first days I've done a lot of research (including on this forum) and have made a lot of changes in my life and things have very very slowly gotten a bit better to the point of where I think I've started to heal. The severe pain and discomfort from the AF greatly effected my ability to concentrate at work, especially while writing. It made me very cranky when dealing with people, which is not like me at all. Also, having to sit for long periods in meetings REALLY became an actual pain in the butt : ) Aside from work, socially it effected me because I wouldn't want to go out with friends or even see my boyfriend at times. That's the worst part...just wanting to curl up on my sofa and veg out watching tv because doing anything else but that is just impossible. As I said, things are a little better now, and I'm going to be religious about my diet and everything else I've been doing to correct this problem so that I keep healing and it doesn't come back. Cari
carinae23
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby student » 29 May 2014, 04:02

im a student in my mid 20s, trying to finish a BS but the setbacks seem to just keep coming. this fissure started in jan, "healed" and then mid march i got a terrible cold and constipated snf retore, and its been more and more pain ever since. I dont know how much longer i can take this. Im supposed to start a summer job next week, but ive been pretty bedridden for a while from complications (see my other posts) ive also put my plans for grad school on hold because of this stupid fissure.
student
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Fissurefrustration » 24 Jun 2014, 04:50

I think this is a great thread!! Well, My name is JD and I have a very active job and so walking around can really aggravate the fissure and my hemmis. I work on a busy medical ward in England where I'm constantly on my feet for up to 14 hours a day. Getting off the ward to use the loo is hard as I don't want to make my problem publicly known! and the worst bit is there's no showers so I cant rinse off after, only use the sandpaper-esque roll on the side. :groan: The stress of the job I swear makes everything worse! not being able to eat/drink throughout the day leads to dry stools and subsequently painful BMs leads to a viscous downward spiral.

Oh well, we must try to get on with life as best we can x
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56