Hello!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello!

Postby oow » 01 Mar 2014, 13:45

Hi all,

I've just joined after months of reading your posts and benefiting from your advice!

I developed an anal fissure in November of last year - so only 4 months, but it has been 4 months of agony. I don't think I can cope with the pain of another BM.

I have been taking about 20 - 25ml of lactulose every day, but stools can still be quite hard. Even if they are soft, the first bit is hard which is enough for the fissure to tear again. My GP has advised taking laxido alongside lactulose - I only started this yesterday, so far no change but may take a day or 2 to kick in. I was also given anusol ointment (GP said best not use a suppository as it is so tight up there she can hardly examine me!!) which I started yesterday and really hope that helps.

I have also read somewhere vitamin E is a good thing to take as it aids skin healing, so again I have started that recently.

It is absolute agony, and I'm sorry for everyone here that has had to go through that pain, but looking forward to helping each other through it.

:)
oow

Topics: 1

Re: Hello!

Postby JHH » 01 Mar 2014, 14:35

Hi there and welcome!

Ahh yes, the dreaded "plug effect"... I had it too, but was able to avoid it with the help of lactulose, magnesium and a diet change.
First, you should up the lactulose to 30ml/day split into a morning and an evening dose. Get some magnesium and try to add 500-1000mg pr day. Then make sure you get enough insoluble fiber, and drink plenty of water.

Squatting and prelubing with vaseline also helped me, but really, as long as your BM is too hard, you will retear your fissure and prevent healing. Soft BM is the most important thing in healing a fissure. When you achive that, you should look into ointments like nitro or diltiazem.

Best of luck!
J
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Re: Hello!

Postby oow » 02 Mar 2014, 04:27

Thanks for advice - and the magnesium tip. I hadn't heard of taking that for an AF before.
oow

Topics: 1