Just had Fissurectomy & Botox

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Just had Fissurectomy & Botox

Postby Sunshine » 05 Mar 2014, 10:23

Hello eveyone.
Well it's been a while since I have been here. My first post started in June last year and I last wrote in October.
I have ben fighting the fissure fight for 8 months now.

I had two weeks in October when I thought I was winning, so when I saw the CRS in October, I said I thought I was getting better and didnt want anything other than the Ditz to try. Then in December I saw my CRS again, and asked for two more months on the Ditz as I didnt want to go down the surgery route. Big mistake. It got bad again.
Since mid December I have been in constant pain, with each BM causing the known agony, followed one to two hours later with spasms which would go from zero, to level eight pain with no warning at all. During the day, my poor bum would either spasm, or feel like a red hot poker was being shoved in it, or just burn!
Spasms would last anything from ten minutes, to hours. And the pain killers didnt even touch the sides.
A few weeks ago I got up at 1am and ran a bath as the pain was so bad, and the pain killers were doing nothing. I sat in the bath in agony thinking I could either call an ambulance, or a vet. At that point, a vet seemed the better option because at lease he could put me down! Not a good moment.
Of course I called neither, and eventually worked through the pain like we do.
The only thing I had found that seemed to have some soothing effect, was coconut oil, which I made in the evenings into suppositories, and used three times a day.
I have lost a stone in under three months through living off vegi juices, fruit smoothis, salad, fruit, veg, fish, chicken and soups. Everything that gave me a nice soft Bm each day, even so, it hurt like hell to go. And I now look like Olive Oyl!!

Anyway, on the 20th of Feb, I had a check up with my CRS, who tried to give me a digital exam, which just wasnt happening as I was so sore, and with that, she got her diary out and said she wanted me in her theatre in 12 days time!
So yesterday I was put under and given a Fissurectomy and Botox.

I had a 40 units of Botox injected either side of the fissure, so 80 units in total, and lots of pain releif.
When I came round in the recovery room, I woke up to a man called Adrian sitting next to me, who told me he would be looking after me in recovery. As I lay there, I realised how I felt and burst into tears. Adrian quickly jumped up and asked was I in pain, to which I said....I cant feel my Bum!!! Im so happy I cant feel my Bum!!!

That was yesterday, and now a day later, I still cant feel my bum! I know it wont last and the pain relief will wear off, but ohh just the freedom of pain after eight long months is just the best feeling ever!
I didnt want to go down the Botox route, as I wanted to be able to heal myself. But sometimes we just have to accept that we cant do everything, and there is only so much pain you can go through.
So it's early days, but I am feeling so positive, and my lady CRS was just so lovely that I feel my Bum was in good hands.
I was also happy to get home and get out of the," one size fits all" paper knickers they gave me to wear, which came up to my chest and kept falling down!! haha

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good day, or at least finding something that helps to ease the pain of these nasty Sharks.
Love & Sunshine to you all. XX

Sunshine
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Just had Fissurectomy & Botox

Postby ButtQueen » 05 Mar 2014, 11:02

Hey Sunshine. So so so soooo nice to know you are doing better!!!! There's always light at the end of the tunnel, huh? :D Have you had your first BM yet?
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Sunshine » 05 Mar 2014, 11:48

Hello there ButtQueen
Thank you :D
No BM as yet. But I did have one yesterday morning before leaving for hospital at 6.30. Didn't eat yesterday morning, then had surgery at 11.30am. Home at 4.30. Then just had soup last night.
Veg juice this morning, slice of spelt toast with honey for breakfast, then a mackerel salad for lunch.
No idea what my first BM will be like after op, so will just have to wait and see.
Drinking loads of water and taking a teaspoon of linseed oil am and pm which seems to work well with me.
I was given lactolose two weeks ago, but tried only 10ml of it and woke the next day feeling like my tummy was going to explode!! So wont go there again.
I have been given Tramadol to take if I need it, and lidocaine ointment, and also paracetamol 500mg.
So far, my Bum is still asleep. And its lovely :D

How are you?
Sunshine
Salt Bather

Postby ButtQueen » 05 Mar 2014, 23:52

Ha ha ha ahhh how I would love to have my bum put to sleep forever!!! :groan:

When it's not one thing with my butt then it is another :lol: I am sure your first BM will be just fine because your bum is still asleep.

Yes, lactulose can give some people problems though I never had them. But then I only take a teaspoon of it and slowly trying to wean off of it to. I am doing so much better than what my AF was like 3 months ago. Zero to minor pain during and after the BM and irritation once in a while. Let us see how long does it last. Keeping my fingers crossed :roll: Oh how I would love to have a bum transplant :gah:
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sunshine » 06 Mar 2014, 04:26

Oh ButtQueen that is so good you are doing better than you were three months ago!!
These things really do send you to places you never wanted to go on the pain scale, so to feel even slightly better is a huge bonus :D

Fingers crossed you are now on the up and up, never to return to that dark Fissure place. Drink plenty, laugh often, think positive thoughts, and smile.
Things always work out in the end :D

Love & Sunshine X
Sunshine
Salt Bather

Postby ButtQueen » 06 Mar 2014, 08:27

Yes, they do for sure. Sending hugs your way :smilyhug:

Keep us updated on how you are coping :notacrook:
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sunshine » 07 Mar 2014, 07:47

Hello all, just an update.

Day : 4
Post Fissurectomy & Botox

Bum has been Numb for the last three days, which has been amazing.
Starting to feel a few twinges today but nothing painfull, more like my bum letting me know its waking up. Still no BM since morning of Surgery which is fantastic in one sence, but a little concerning in another, as I have no idea what that first one will be like!
Have been drinking plenty of water, eating soup, fish, veg, fruit, and a vegi juice each morning.
Had prunes & porridge this morning after my vegi juice, and did try 5ml of lactulose and a fybogel as I was thinking maybe there isnt enough bulk in me to have a BM so thought the Fibogel may help.
Epsom salt bath am & pm, & done nothing but rest, read, sleep and every hour or two, have a walk around the house to keep the circulation flowing and get my body moving.
I am interesed to find out how long others went after surgery before their first BM, so if anyone can share that would be geat.
It's crazy, for 8 months I have dreaded every BM, now im worried my bum has closed up and wont go again haha!!

Anyway, that is me Post Op day 4

Hope you are all having a pain free or managable day.

Love & Sunshine X
Sunshine
Salt Bather

Postby Sunshine » 11 Mar 2014, 06:50

Day 8 Post Op

Hello all.
Well surgery was a week ago today. My bum finally came back to feeling again on Saturday morning which was day 5, after a thimble size BM!

I felt that I needed to go, but all that passed was like a small nugget of a BM. No pain. So then into an Epsom Salt bath, but then once I was downstairs, after about 30 minutes, I suddenly got that zero to level 8 pain in a matter of seconds.
After having a numb bum for the last 5 days, it was a bit of a kicker. So I took a paracetamol and two nurofen, and after about 20 minutes, it calmed down.
The rest of the day I spent sitting on a hot water bottle, but had no more pain, just a bit of a twinge here and there.

Sunday was day 6, and the morning that my body decided it was time to pass five days worth of food!
So being very aware not to push at all, or strain even the slightest, this took the best part of an hour as I had to basicly rely on gravity to do the job.
I have a Squatty Potty which has been a godsend durng the months, so it was just a case of waiting, breating deeply, and praying I wasnt about to be ripped apart during the evacuation!

The fact that my bum had been numb for the first four days was amazing, but it also turned out that the GA and whatever pain killing drugs they had given me, had also made me a bit constipated. Not something you need to be after this!

Anyway, as I said, about an hour later, and with a bit of disscomfort rather than pain while going, I had managed my first BM, (which was five days worth so a lot!) and was feeling over then moon at having survived it.
Straight into a bath, then onto a hot water bottle, and no after spasms or zero to eight pains!
Monday morning, day 7, and another BM, still seemed to be a bit firm despite lactulose, soups, vegi juice, fruit, loads of water diet.

This morning, day 8, small BM, still a bit firm, so will try some added vegi juices today and flaxseed oil.

Despite all the pre wory, the Op is the best thing I could have done. I think my surgeon has done an amazing job as I have only had pain killers once since surgery, and have not experianced the hours of agony or constant daily spasms.

I have spent the whole week resting as advised, sitting on a hot water bottle a few hours every day to keep the heat on my bum, two to three warm baths a day, walking round the house every couple oh hours to keep the circulation going, diet as above.
In myself, I have felt really good, but am very aware of what I have had done so have taken every day slowly, so as to give my bum the best possible time to heal.

Tomorrow will be day 9, and I plan to potter round the house and do a few jobs, and start getting slowly back into life again, but Im not rushing anything.
I plan to go back to work on Monday which will be day 14, but its only for a few hours so am feeling confident.

I think the fact that I have been able to completly rest, has really helped.

So thats me day 8. Just wanted to share and hope that it may help anyone who is worried about having surgery. It really is the best thing I did.

Love & Sunshine :sunny:
Sunshine
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 12 Mar 2014, 16:13

:Rock:

Sounds great sunshine!! Keep resting... And I'm sure you'll reap the benefits!!

:smilyhug:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Sunshine » 13 Mar 2014, 13:48

:thankyou: Ownmybum :D

Hi all :D

Day 10

So yesterday, I did some washing, ironing, a bit of hovering, rested for cople of hours in the afternoon, then pottered round the kitchen and made my dinner!!
My BM's were a bit all over the place. I went in the morning a little, then was in the bathroon 10 till 11, then again at 1 till 2.45. Still a bit firm despite taking Dulcoease & flaxseed oil, and due to not straining at all, it seems to take near on an hour to go, but no pian during, more discomfort than anything.
So last night, salmon, brown rice, and loads of veg, followed in the evening by yogurt with 6 prunes, a banana, and a teaspoon of manuka honey.

This morning...... 20 minutes of stop, start, quite firm BM, followed by complete evacuation of smooth easy to pass bm!!!
Afterwards, no spasms, or pains, just the feeling of having been kicked up the butt!! But no pain killers at all apart from the ones I took Saturday morning. Straight into an epsom salt bath to reward my bum for its fantastic work.

Went out for the first time today to get a few bits from the shop with my hubby, then over to see my parents this afternoon. They live about 40 minutes away so Hubby drove and I sat on a hot water bottle for the journey. Not due to any pain, but just in case, and the heat on my bum is lovely.

So far, each day just gets better and better.
I am very aware of what I have had done, and know it is still very early days in the healing process and that I have to take things slowly.
Hopefully if I can manage to get back to how I used to be and have just one BM am, I will then be fine to go back to work on Monday. Today was just once this morning, and its now 6.45pm and I havent needed to go again today, which meant I could go out without the fear of needing a toilet for up to an hour!

I think my recovery so far is certainly due to doing nothing for the first 7 days post op, just giving the bum time to rest. Two to three baths a day, and my best friend, the hot water bottle. Whenever I have had a twinge or the aching feeling, the hot water bottle has done wonders for me.

So thats me so far. Hope you are all having a good day, or managing to find some relief from the nasty Sharks.

Love & Sunshine to you all. X :sunny:
Sunshine
Salt Bather