Surgery yesterday

LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery yesterday

Postby sotiredofthis » 29 Apr 2014, 09:01

Had my surgery yesterday morning. Glad it's over. Now waiting for the first BM. I will be even more glad when that's over!

A bit sore today. Mostly burning. I'm perfecting the penguin walk. My CRS also injected a long acting lidocaine in the wound. Definitely some swelling for which I'm applying some ice and hoping it calms down. Anybody else do that? Did it help? I can't imagine trying to sit down. I'm typing this on my knees at my computer desk.

My CRS did a minor LIS and a debridement of my fissure. It wasn't open at the time she just wanted to clean it up to help the healing along. I have some internal sutures that will dissolve. She is having me take mineral oil to keep things smooth and hopefully my first BM will just slide out. I'm trying to be careful since I do have IBS and I don't want to get diarrhea! She also said no sitz baths for now as she doesn't want the area to just be water logged. After BM she just wants me to shower off and let the water just run over it. Then keep it dry. I'll probably use my blow dryer for that.

I'll post as things happen. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Re: Surgery yesterday

Postby vdb324 » 29 Apr 2014, 16:54

What's a debridement? I hope you start feeling better soon!
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby sotiredofthis » 29 Apr 2014, 17:18

Basically she cleaned up the fissure. That's a debridement my crs said. Feeling very sore and swollen but its only been one day. I'm going to do what I've read from others on here and measure this in weeks not days.

Thanks for asking!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sotiredofthis » 29 Apr 2014, 17:37

What do you think about no sitz baths? It seems like everyone here was told to take them after surgery. My crs said at my pre-op they were ok but her assistant said not to. I think it would be very helpful with the pain and swelling.

My skin feels a little irritated on the sides of my anus. Do you think some desitin would be ok?
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby vdb324 » 29 Apr 2014, 19:25

Hi again! I would recommend following your surgeon's advice, but if you're really concerned, I'd just call the office and see if they are okay with it, especially if your CRS gave you approval at one time.

My instructions post-surgery strictly said that I should not apply any creams or lotions in the area. About two weeks after surgery, I started getting the terrible itchy rash that always seems to come with my fissure after any surgery, and the nurse practicioner gave me approval, but said to try to keep it only in the external skin area, away from the fissure.

The debridement makes sense. I have been wondering if they did that or any cauterizing during mine. I was hoping they'd do something, particularly the cauterization, while I was under! :-) I had it once just during an out-patient check up, and that was by far one of my most painful fissure experiences. But hey, if they recommend it again while I'm in for my check up, I'll gladly take it.

And, very good on the measuring in weeks instead of days, as evidenced by my own struggle with the ups and downs from day-to-day (and even week-to-week) on here!
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby sotiredofthis » 29 Apr 2014, 19:34

Thanks vdb. I'm thinking a sitz bath would feel so good. I'll call the office tomorrow about the desitin.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 30 Apr 2014, 09:11

I'm glad things went well, and you're on your way to recovery. Take it easy sot, .... I think one sitz a day for a few mins can't hurt???

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sotiredofthis » 30 Apr 2014, 11:29

That's what I'm thinking OMB. Still waiting for the first bm though. Not sure what else to do but wait it out. I'm taking mineral oil, stool softeners, and fiber and eating a normal diet. Darn anesthesia! I just want to get it over with. Having a little bleeding today as well but nothing terrible.

Thanks for checking on me!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sotiredofthis » 02 May 2014, 12:35

So day 4 after surgery report:
I did start another about not having a bm yet but I'm going to keep my diary here instead.

So after not having any bowel action today I've gone 4 times so far with each time getting looser and looser. 4!!!! One extreme to another! My crs wanted me to take some milk of magnesia last night and I decided to wait and see what happened this morning before taking any. I didn't want to be up all night in case I got diarrhea. I'm so glad I waited! I guess I need to cut back on something. Darn IBS!!!

With that being said it's not been too painful. Definite burning at the tag removal site though. I called my crs to see if I can use some lidocaine for that maybe. Waiting for a callback now.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 03 May 2014, 02:38

Hi STOT,
I'm glad you've had the first BM after surgery..... I know the feeling ! Damn IBS, sometimes it's so hard to regulate how the BM is going to come out. Sounds like you are doing okay though. The Lidocaine always kills the pain for me, although you can't use it long term as it thins the skin. My Doc said 2 weeks max, but if you can do that at least it will help with the burn.
Do you use flaxseed? It has been a lifesaver for me..... I sprinkle 2 tablespoons on my porridge in a morning. Because it is soluble fibre, it mixes with my other foods throughout the day and helps to keep stools soft. Also 2 Movicol helps. Keep going, you're doing well, we are here for you. Xxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!